The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,549
    Forum Member
    I thought the reason Christmas day viewing was done over the last 10-15 years is that people are too busy playing video games or watching DVDs.

Regardless of the weather, I doubt we will see any programme top 12m (if even that)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the reason Christmas day viewing was done over the last 10-15 years is that people are too busy playing video games or watching DVDs.

We still play Monopoly!!
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One show we haven't much discussed is The Snowman and Snowdog. It has been getting lots of preview space and brilliant write ups in the quality papers. And I noticed today its got pride of place on the front of the festive RT! :eek:

When did a non BBC show ever feature on the front of the Christmas RT?

I can only think of a handful of BBC ones that have to be fair.

Anyway, I think it could produce the ratings shock of the festive season, even against Corrie and Merlin. Could it get 7m? 8m?

10m?

Look at Wallace and Gromit 4 years ago - 14.4m on the night, 16.2m official (24m inc +1*)

(* plus 1 week, that is... ;))

RT loves a Snowman or a Father Christmas on its Christmas cover, this year it has a good excuse heh.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Regardless of the weather, I doubt we will see any programme top 12m (if even that)

Is it down? Not sure if it is, obviously individual programmes and channels are down, but is TV viewing as a whole down? Correct me if i'm wrong!
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BREAKING: ITV record lowest ever figure in the 9pm hour last night - 1.15m (5.0%) for a repeat of Ruth Rendall's 13 Steps Down
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    The editor of RT was on Chris Evans' Radio 2 show the other day and he said that putting The Snowman And The Snowdog on the front cover of the Christmas issue was an easy decision.

The Snowman is old-fashioned animation and that fits in with the style of the RT Christmas covers. I'll wager there have been quite a few snowmen on the RT Christams front cover over the years.

And there are three ITV programmes among the Christmas Day choices - Corrie, O'Grady, and Downton. Downton is joint Pick Of The Day with Midwife but Midwife gets the big picture. I had to double-take to realise Downton was featured as well.

Sometimes I should read the whole thread before posting heh.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    We still play Monopoly!!

on your smartphones? :p
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    BREAKING: ITV record lowest ever figure in the 9pm hour last night - 1.15m (5.0%) for a repeat of Ruth Rendall's 13 Steps Down

Only themselves to blame. Bonkers scheduling.
    Forum Member

that was a repeat, I thought it was a first showing. I saw the first episode, didn't realise the second part was after NAT (so I missed it)

seemed okay, not as entertaining as Last Tango (which I watched for the first time)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has EE actually lost viewers, or are people just not watching as often?

It may not be must see TV day in day out, but at Christmas those viewers may come back.

You could centainly miss 2 out of every 3 Eastenders without missing anything new happening.
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Is it down? Not sure if it is, obviously individual programmes and channels are down, but is TV viewing as a whole down? Correct me if i'm wrong!

not sure, as I don't have access to single day data

I'm going by vague recollections of a press report years ago, saying that Christmas day viewing was down (not the most scientific thing)

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sure, as I don't have access to single day data

I'm going by vague recollections of a press report years ago, saying that Christmas day viewing was down (not the most scientific thing)

:)

I'm sure I read somewhere last years lowish ratings was because Christmas day fell on a sunday and when that happens its always lower than other days, may be a myth of course and I don't know how anyone could prove that theory anyway.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, having just gone back through the Olympics in this thread, the above statement is not actually true - A Touch of Frost on Closing Ceremony night had under 1m. But it is definitely the lowest in normal circumstances.
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere last years lowish ratings was because Christmas day fell on a sunday and when that happens its always lower than other days, may be a myth of course and I don't know how anyone could prove that theory anyway.

I would have thought the opposite would happen, Sunday is generally a good day for viewing figures. If Christmas fell on that day, people aren't really changing the daily patterns (as they'd be indoors anyway)
    anyhoo, here's some more ratings

Emmers - 6333 + 481
    EE - 7502
    Holby - 5080

Last Tango - 6212
    Great BB Xmas - 3255
    Inside Guinness WR - 1737 + 118
    Bad Santas (is that a rpt?) - 864k
    Body of Proof - 1284

The Chase - 3233 + 220
    Pointless Celebs - 3044

as ever I DON'T POST +1 FIGS!!!!!
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, having just gone back through the Olympics in this thread, the above statement is not actually true - A Touch of Frost on Closing Ceremony night had under 1m. But it is definitely the lowest in normal circumstances.

Judging by the rating for Guiness World Records, its peak time share could also be one of the lowest ever.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope this is the first in a run of Flopzone Tuesdays for ITV... ;)

At least the Christmas Night News should beat that next Tuesday.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought the opposite would happen, Sunday is generally a good day for viewing figures. If Christmas fell on that day, people aren't really changing the daily patterns (as they'd be indoors anyway)
    anyhoo, here's some more ratings

Emmers - 6333 + 481
    EE - 7502
    Holby - 5080

Last Tango - 6212
    Great BB Xmas - 3255
    Inside Guinness WR - 1737 + 118
    Bad Santas (is that a rpt?) - 864k
    Body of Proof - 1284

The Chase - 3233 + 220
    Pointless Celebs - 3044

as ever I DON'T POST +1 FIGS!!!!!

Thanks Mike! :D

Is that the highest Holny City has been in a few weeks? Another good rating for Last Tango hopefully people remember it's on tonight. Good to see a show with minimal promotion do so well.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope this is the first in a run of Flopzone Tuesdays for ITV... ;)

Robbie you're so naughty! :p I actually like when TV channels do well.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Bake off?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV2 might have even got beater ratings ;)
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Bake off?

I posted a figure for that
    ITV2 might have even got beater ratings ;)

not quite, though YBF @ Christmas got 852k
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from landing the Parlympics and the Grand National, I can't think of anything outstanding Channel 4 has done this year. Also their one really big hit, Gypsy Weddings, has been cancelled which will really hurt them next month. Oh well there's always more CDWM and DOND to fill the gaps.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Cheers!
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,036
    Forum Member
    Not a great night of ratings. Eastenders seems to have lost a good million or so viewers this year.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITV1's record 9pm low was against the Paralympics Opening Ceremony on 29th August when they got 599k (2.5%) for Britain Then and Now.
This discussion has been closed.