Options

How many murderers, if any, have you known / met?

culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
Forum Member
✭✭
....... and to what extent did they conform to the popular stereotype of evil in human form that many here and elsewhere have in their minds at the mention of the term?

By" murderer" / "murderess" I mean someone convicted of such by the courts.

I'd be particularly interested in the views and experiences of those that deal with other types of ne'er do wells, such as policemen, prison officers, probation officers, criminal lawyers and those who've been "inside" themselves.

In your experience are murders as a class of criminal typically more unpleasant as people than other categories of offenders?

Comments

• Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Looked after 2- both weren't very nice
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taught a couple of lads who murdered later in life. I was shocked at one, but not at the other.
    Taught murder victims too - it was that kind of a school in that kind of an area.:(
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One. Although I'm not sure if he was found guilty of murder or manslaughter. The crime took place in the 90s. He's out now, I believe.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cripes. To my knowledge, never met a solitary one. I wouldn't have thought many have.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met a guy who had been down for murder and was in an open prison at the end of his sentence, was a lovely guy and would never have thought he was 'evil'
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    When I was about 11 I was hit/beaten by a girl of about 13 or 14 in a local park/playground over an argument about a ball.

5 years later she was jailed for manslaughter.:eek:
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None I hope and would never want to know one. :eek:
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I went to school with someone who killed his stepmother and nearly killed his father during the Christmas break from school. Needless to say we were all stunned, he seemed an ordinary, good humoured person and not in the least bit violent (unlike a few others). From what I remember of the court case, he claimed he was hearing voices that told him to kill.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Taught a couple of lads who murdered later in life. I was shocked at one, but not at the other.
    Taught murder victims too - it was that kind of a school in that kind of an area.:(

At least they'd be quiet. If a little late with homework.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met one, he was a butcher, he was the dad of a friend of mine. Near enough took off his son's head with a cleaver and left him to die in the front garden. I always thought he was a scary man.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just 1. A guy who I worked the doors with ended up with a minimum 30 years for shooting another doorlad twice on his doorstep, infront of his wife and kids.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    I've met one, he was a butcher, he was the dad of a friend of mine. Near enough took off his son's head with a cleaver and left him to die in the front garden. I always thought he was a scary man.

Blimey :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several - both in prison and released. Those released were no more dangerous than anyone else.
  • Options
    niki1969niki1969 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I had a mortgage advisor come round about 20ish years ago to talk about getting a mortgage. We waited to hear back from him only to find out that after our meeting he went home and killed his wife then handed himself in to the police. Needless to say I waited a few more years before getting a mortgage.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Blimey :eek: :eek:

Very blimey, it was a really quiet neighbourhood too.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    My friend at school/college went down for 22 years for pre-meditated murder, including chopping up the body and burying it on the common. He was a nice enough guy, but his family were rough as they come and his brother was a psycho.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7267087.stm

Mark was the one i was friends with.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew one, not well, an acquaintance. He then killed a local old lady.

He seemed okay, a bit over friendly and odd, but I was shocked, well, most of those who knew him were. Ugly business.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One....

He served 13? yrs of a 20 stretch for murdering his friend in the 80's, and worked in the shop I managed for couple of months before he jacked it in. Scared the wits out of me at times, his look as he used to boast about how he could do anything he wanted was chilling. It may seem nasty, but when I had heard he had been killed in a car crash, I felt the world was a cleaner place without him in it.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »

I shouldn't laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 murderer
    3 man slaughtererers
    2 victims
    1 pretendy Boo Radleyesque childood 'murderer'
    and a partridge in a pear tree (probably dead)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    None and hopefully I wont ever meet one.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staggered at the response!

I'm double locking the door tonight.

:eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My next door neighbour in my last house was a convicted murderer. He's out on licence now and I sometimes bump into him. He was always pleasant enough to me.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »

Yeah but she'd still probably say ...............and that's no excuse:D