Trivial things that annoy you about TV

Comments

• mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    As featured in EE tonight for instance, surely the props people could put a few telephone directories in. And characters always have brand new suitcases even when they are supposed to be seasoned travellers.

Why are all the newspapers outside the corner shop in EE six weeks old ?

Why do people on TV buying cigarettes never mention the brand, it's always ''My usual please'' even when they've never been in the shop before.

A pint of unspecific please.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Here's whats happening where you are" on the news is almost certainly not something that's happening where I am.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    1. At the end of the national news, on the change to regional news, the national presenter says something like "and now the news where you are". Something insufferably patronising about it. "Where you are, the poor unfortunate wretches who don't live in London". Fiona Bruce and George Alaghia are the worst.

They used to say "Now the news in your region" but that changed after Scots and Welsh devolution. They experimented with "Now the news in the regions and nations" but that was quickly dropped. Now they use "the news where you are" as a catch-all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Good Morning Britain they do similar, coming on to tell us it's time for the news in the Granada region, I assume they do it for every other region too, making it necessary to pre-film them all.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Why do people on TV buying cigarettes never mention the brand, it's always ''My usual please'' even when they've never been in the shop before.

Maybe they fear that saying a brand of cigarette would be considered advertising - which has been illegal since 2005.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    On Good Morning Britain they do similar, coming on to tell us it's time for the news in the Granada region, I assume they do it for every other region too, making it necessary to pre-film them all.
    What is the Granada region?

I don't often watch ITV news but for some reason the other night I had it on and when it went to the local news it had stories from South Yorkshire and Blackburn!

I think it's weird enough for North East viewers on BBC getting news from Cumbria and North Yorkshire, never mind Blackburn!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I don't often watch ITV news but for some reason the other night I had it on and when it went to the local news it had stories from South Yorkshire and Blackburn!

I think it's weird enough for North East viewers on BBC getting news from Cumbria and North Yorkshire, never mind Blackburn!

Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Cumbria areas. I know Cumbria isn't included with the other for BBC North West news though.
  • steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Cookery shows where the camera fixes on the cook's face when I want to see the procedure he is actually performing with the food! Or equally annoying, the camera pans down to the actual cooking but there is a soft-focus vase of flowers (or similar) in front of what is actually going on.
    Forum Member
    Presenters getting their family involved.

Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver have been guilty of this in their home food programmes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Waffle in quiz shows. "I know it's not a because blah blah blah... it might be b because blah blah blah... I think I'll go with c."
    But then Eggheads would de done in five minutes.:)
    When a constestant gets something wrong on some and says "Oh, my husband/sister/best mate/etc is going to kill me for that" always strikes me as a very odd thing to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every Wednesday, BBC One have a backdrop of *looks it up* Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry when they have the what's on now and next after the news.

Here's a newsflash for you, BBC One - not everybody watches The Great British Bake Off. And I'm one of them - hence me having to look up the presenters of it.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's an area in the south of Spain.
    mikebuk wrote: »

No, they don't; they simply announce it's time for the news in the Granada region to everyone in the United Kingdom.

Someone complained about this to them, and their response was "Those living outside the Granada region are third-rate godless scum who will burn in hell when the End Days come, and they don't deserve their own announcements."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    this also annoys me, the battle of Waterloo was before my time but I could tell you about it quite specific detail

Indeed. It was before my time as well(!)... yet I could tell you that at Waterloo, Napoleon did surrender. Oh yeah.
    I saw some quiz once where the young lad had never heard of Abba

That's inexcusable, and also explains his ignorance about the Battle of Waterloo. :D
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adverts that lead you into believing they've finished, but then start again

''blah blah *product* try it out now!'' *advert, music, everything ends, then: ''...and now, introducing some more things to keep you from your programme that little bit longer''

This is worse when the company has a catchphrase or slogan, which they use at the ending of both!
  • YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    It's an area in the south of Spain.

No, they don't; they simply announce it's time for the news in the Granada region to everyone in the United Kingdom.

Someone complained about this to them, and their response was "Those living outside the Granada region are third-rate godless scum who will burn in hell when the End Days come, and they don't deserve their own announcements."

Don't be a dick.
  • SibeberSibeber Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching reruns of What ever happened to the Likely lads and I notice in the pub scenes they are drinking flat beer from beer mugs with handles ...in the North East beer has never been served in beer mugs and always had a creamy head.
    Forum Member
    Sibeber wrote: »
    Watching reruns of What ever happened to the Likely lads and I notice in the pub scenes they are drinking flat beer from beer mugs with handles ...in the North East beer has never been served in beer mugs and always had a creamy head.
    Locals around here, even the Wetherspoons have served ale/beer in mugs.
    Forum Member
    John Barrowman putting on a Scottish accent when talking to Scottish people and then going back to American when talking to a non-Scot or addressing the viewers.
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Barrowman.

Fixed that for you...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Barrowman putting on a Scottish accent when talking to Scottish people and then going back to American when talking to a non-Scot or addressing the viewers.

As a result of this: I wonder if his head exploded when trying to decide whether to do his Scottish accent or his American one for his part of the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games (as, although it was in Glasgow, he was address both Scots and non-Scots).
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was Canadian
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YaffiYuk wrote: »
    Don't be a dick.

You sound grumpy, I guess you don't live in God's own country, the Granada region. ;-)

Mind you, if I knew I was going to hell for all eternity because I lived in the ITV Yorkshire area, I'd be grumpy too. :D
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adverts that lead you into believing they've finished, but then start again

''blah blah *product* try it out now!'' *advert, music, everything ends, then: ''...and now, introducing some more things to keep you from your programme that little bit longer''

This is worse when the company has a catchphrase or slogan, which they use at the ending of both!

Has anyone *ever* been inspired- or even favourably inclined towards the company- by one of those corporate slogans (of the type that would normally appear beneath the logo in print).

For example, Sony's is "Make.Believe". (*) You know that some w****rs at an agency got paid silly money to come up with that . Note its oh-so-wannabe-clever wordplay that's sort of saying "make believe" and "Make." and "Believe." You can practically feel the cocaine-fuelled smugness from the agency "creatives" coming off that one. >:(

Doesn't do **** for me- ironically, it actually distracts from and cheapens the brand name, IMHO.

Hitachi has "Inspire the Next". Vague, cod-inspiral, vapid, pseudo-grammatical garbage that I doubt anyone has ever given a t**s about.

They are- as you say- even weirder and more annoying, when they're read out in a standard "tacked on" manner at the end of the advert.

Feel free to add other bland, smug corporate slogans that you hate yourself :)

Despite not being a fan of Apple, the "Think Different" slogan a while back at least justified its existence from a commerce point of view by getting attention and promoting their customers' favoured view of themselves as being not quite mainstream (at least back when they used it, since that was in the pre "every man and his dog owns an iPod"- and later, iPhone- eras).

But most slogans? Pointless, self-aggrandising corporate drivel.

(*) Edit; the good news is that they apparently dropped "make.believe" just recently. (Yay!) The bad news is that the new slogan is "BE MOVED". (Yawn, plus ca change, etc etc..)
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    I watched the TV programme, Countdown to Murder, the other night and got completely muddled because it seemed to start at the end, and then scenes were 're-enacted several times, in no particular order so I eventually lost track. Very irritating.. >:(