Options

New Tricks Series 11

Comments

• Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Doesn't she have an acting school and decided to concentrate on that. Hasn't Phil Davis been in it before ?

No. Phil Davis has been in everything else, but he's never been in NT before.
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the original characters in New Tricks - to me the best was Alun Armstrong as Brian Lane. The interaction between all the characters was brilliant. As they slowly eked away I kept watching but it just wasn't the same. When the replacement for Amanda Redman came I think it killed off the series pretty much for me. They should have ended it then.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enna_g wrote: »
    I loved the original characters in New Tricks - to me the best was Alun Armstrong as Brian Lane. The interaction between all the characters was brilliant. As they slowly eked away I kept watching but it just wasn't the same. When the replacement for Amanda Redman came I think it killed off the series pretty much for me. They should have ended it then.

It always amuses me when someone doesn't like a programme they say they want it to stop being made, rather than to just stop watching it themselves.

There are loads and loads of programmes I've watched and then gone off, but I've never bothered asking for it to be axed, mainly cos my opinion doesn't count and also cos other people presumably still like it and if I don't, I can just stop watching.

I hate reality shows, so I don't watch them.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    It always amuses me when someone doesn't like a programme they say they want it to stop being made, rather than to just stop watching it themselves.

There are loads and loads of programmes I've watched and then gone off, but I've never bothered asking for it to be axed, mainly cos my opinion doesn't count and also cos other people presumably still like it and if I don't, I can just stop watching.

I hate reality shows, so I don't watch them.

I agree. It is still very popular with the viewers so they are going to keep making it.

People are always leaving a job, why shouldn't a TV series be the same? In some ways it can be a good thing as it allows new storylines to develop.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It is still very popular with the viewers so they are going to keep making it.

People are always leaving a job, why shouldn't a TV series be the same? In some ways it can be a good thing as it allows new storylines to develop.

Taggart left his own series and it continued for years...

Wasn't one whole season of the original Dallas a dream ?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enna_g wrote: »

A bit like saying that theatres should have stopped doing Hamlet when Laurence Olivier died. They are only actors. People will be able to step into a role and do a good performance, some will not be as good and some will be better. All the new intake into New Tricks seem to be doing well, they are not the same as the previous actors but all are good actors.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    A bit like saying that theatres should have stopped doing Hamlet when Laurence Olivier died. They are only actors. People will be able to step into a role and do a good performance, some will not be as good and some will be better. All the new intake into New Tricks seem to be doing well, they are not the same as the previous actors but all are good actors.
    The difference here is that it's not just new actors playing n existing character, it's new characters, with a new team dynamic.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    No. Phil Davis has been in everything else, but he's never been in NT before.

I thought he had in the episode with the Rock band? Unless im muddling it up with a Midsomer Murders episode.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Other programmes where actors have left have continued because the new ones gelled together
    From what I have seen of the earlier episodes of NT with the three new actors, they do not gell at all and appesasr mismatched
    The original combination will never be matched, they should have "rested" the programme
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I thought he had in the episode with the Rock band? Unless im muddling it up with a Midsomer Murders episode.

That's midsomer. The axeman cometh
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always found that a bit odd when Mark McManus died, they continued the series using his character's name. When Morse ended, they just carried on but with his sidekick Lewis's name in the title. Dallas tried the ridiculous dream thing to bring Patrick Duffy back in and it was the death knell for the series really.
  • Options
    Maq_QamMaq_Qam Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but honestly, could we have a moratorium on people just making generalised comments to the extent of how they don't like it any more and so they think it should have ended before? It's not about whether anyone has the right to say it, just that it would be better suited to a generic New Tricks thread rather than one specifically devoted to the forthcoming series. It's meant to be about discussion on that set of episodes particularly, so if you don't intend to watch that series and can only say that you think it should have ended whenever, then by definition you have nothing to contribute to any discussion on subsequent episodes, as, in effect, you're just saying you've lost interest.

It's not about being sensitive to criticism of it either. If you're still watching it then, yes, I'd agree that you're free to be as critical as you like, however much you think it deserves it. And that you can make comparisons to earlier series or episodes in favour of either of the latter, on whichever grounds, if that's what you'd like to do. It's on-topic, it's related to the episodes that the thread is meant to be about, so no reason why that should be an issue. I just think that general complaints from people who have no intention of watching it and think it should have been dropped some time before don't really contribute anything meaningful or offer anywhere a discussion could go. We can take it as read that some people have given up on it and don't desire to watch any further episodes of it, but if they're no longer interested in it, then it should also follow that they have no interest in contributing to threads about new episodes, as there's nothing that they could say about them. If you don't want to evaluate the forthcoming episodes, there's not really anything much you can add to a discussion about them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Delete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yay!

It's back! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »

No, he wasn't in that band. Dear old Trigger was, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It most certainly is back, unfortunately it has David Hayman in it..... bloody awful actor IMO.

and why is Nicholas Lyndhurst putting on an affected accent?
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    Feels a bit flat tonight.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't she have an acting school and decided to concentrate on that. Hasn't Phil Davis been in it before ?

Not thinking of Phil Daniels are you?
    Maybe a bit to rough a diamond to have joined UCOS but should be back., his character Frank is good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They lighting is green ..... another BBC idiot idea. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not thinking of Phil Daniels are you?
    Maybe a bit to rough a diamond to have joined UCOS but should be back., his character Frank is good.

The second episode Frank was in is one of my favourite NT episodes, when they get the bent DAC.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamzin Outwaithe's character is pretty much the same as Amanda Redman's (that's not a complaint BTW).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It most certainly is back, unfortunately it has David Hayman in it..... bloody awful actor IMO.

...because it's actually his cockney-Rodney-Fools & Horses accent that he puts on. In real life he's a lot posher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good first episode
  • Options
    Forum Member

He isn't. That's what Nick sounds like in real life. :)

He puts it on for Rodders.