Options

Passer-by kicks baby in stomach because she was crying

Comments

• Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    I think we will pretty soon find out just how many CCTV cameras there are in that area.

Chances are that they were either turned off or broken. :(
  • Options
    bertiesmallsbertiesmalls Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    Anyone kick my baby and I wouldn't be waiting for an explanation. I would smack him one.

Oooh get you Clint Eastwood........
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Oooh get you Clint Eastwood........
    What would you do if a strange man just kicked a one year old child that you were looking after?

Ask his companion whether he had a mental condition that would justify such an action?

I wish I could be so level-headed.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »

Sounds like he does, indeed, have a learning difficulty from that description of him. And the child is fine so this is a non-story.
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not relevant.
    He's not "disabled".
    He has a condition that renders him prone to kicking infants.
    If it were your child or grandchild would you be "making a;allowances" ?

I think I would make allowances. The child is fine, an explanation and apology was given immediately. It's hard to say without being there and seeing the circumstances.
  • Options
    Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nephew got bitten on the shoulder by a woman in the market place when he was 6 years old. The woman had a mental age of 4 and was with an elderly lady who had no control over her. My brother in law made quite a fuss and the lady said "She is mentally handicapped - she can't help it" . He was so angry he told the older lady that the younger one shouldn't be allowed out without a muzzle. I guess she couldn't help it, but it's not nice for the injured child and any companion or guardian should be ready for such an event and do their best to avoid it.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kalouk wrote: »
    I think I would make allowances. The child is fine, an explanation and apology was given immediately. It's hard to say without being there and seeing the circumstances.
    If anyone approached my child or grandchild and kicked them in the stomach I'd lamp them.
    I wouldn't say "Look here, I'd like an explanation and apology please" and the fact that the child is later found to be "fine" would not be a reason to make "allowances".

The child was kicked by an adult.
    The adult had no idea the child would be "fine".
    The intent was to hurt or injure.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is as well, if anyone had done this to me when I was a child, my mum would have become friendly to the attacker........
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I think the fact he has a behavioural condition should be taken into account because it's not exactly the same as the average grown man kicking a child in the stomach.

However I also think this indicates that the man should not have been out in public without a companion who could control him. From the sounds of things either the woman he was with wasn't prepared for a sudden change in behaviour or was unable to control him. If he can't be held 100% accountable for his actions because of his condition, someone else must accept some responsibility for his behaviour in my opinion.

All that aside, I hope the child is ok now!

If he's fit enough to be out in public then he's accountable.
    Kicking toddlers is not excusable no matter what his condition.
    Maybe he's just bad tempered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone approached my child or grandchild and kicked them in the stomach I'd lamp them.
    I wouldn't say "Look here, I'd like an explanation and apology please" and the fact that the child is later found to be "fine" would not be a reason to make "allowances".

The child was kicked by an adult.
    The adult had no idea the child would be "fine".
    The intent was to hurt or injure.

If that's your choice of reaction so be it. I would be prepared to listen if an apology and explanation were being offered. You are correct that the child was kicked by an adult but an adult with learning disabilities the severity of which we don't know. The adult had no idea the child would be fine, fair enough. You don't know whether the intent was to injure or hurt. It could have been to stop the noise. I am not saying I would be fine with it but I would be prepared to listen without hitting anyone.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was almost in a similar situation years ago. I had taken a lady with a severe learning disability out shopping which was grand until a girl of about 3 kept running at us, dancing around us in a queue. This completely freaked the lady out and she began hitting herself. I just dropped our basket and got us away from the child as quickly as possible because I knew her behaviours of old and knew that self-abuse is a precursor to her lunging and trailing someone by the hair. I've seen the wigging she's given staff and I wouldn't wish it on anybody let alone a small child.

We didn't know she would react that way around children - she hadn't in the past - but her care plan was changed off the back of it and any other trips risk assessed to include the risk of children getting too close. Any chance of it and we just didn't go. It wouldn't be right for the lady to never go out - it isn't her intent to harm and she wasn't predatory in any way - but no one wants to risk a child getting hurt. If she did hurt someone it would be my fault.

If this person had challenging behaviours and limited understanding and the carer could not have anticipated what happened then - as awful as it was - there's not really anyone to blame. They just need to make sure the guy isn't ever in a situation where it could happen again.

That all said if someone kicked my child I think I would just react. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't stop to consider the person's mental capacity, although I'd be more likely to turn to the child rather than maim the kicker. Who knows though, in that situation. Glad the child is OK, considering.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    He wasn't on his own. His minder failed in her duty. An unacceptable situation all round.

Minder good god. She will have been a support worker / career not a bloody minder, and how is she supposed to know sorry predict what he may or may not do?

I know it's not the same but how many parents have been caught out by their child doing something unpredictable, I know I was, not to the point where my child hurt someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that's your choice of reaction so be it. I would be prepared to listen if an apology and explanation were being offered. You are correct that the child was kicked by an adult but an adult with learning disabilities the severity of which we don't know. The adult had no idea the child would be fine, fair enough. You don't know whether the intent was to injure or hurt. It could have been to stop the noise. I am not saying I would be fine with it but I would be prepared to listen without hitting anyone.

I forgot to add that after I'd lamped the adult that kicked my child in the stomach I would of course offer an explanation for my behaviour.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The account of the 'kick' is clearly dramatic exageration. If an adult kicked a one year old in the stomach with anything remotely approaching malign intent there would not be minimal marking and no injury or ill effects. The guy with the problems was clearly just a bit momentarily freaked.

Still don't let that interfere with your tales of the rightfulness and extent of your revenge.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I'm with the person you just quoted on this issue.

Yeah, of course you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to add that after I'd lamped the adult that kicked my child in the stomach I would of course offer an explanation for my behaviour.

Fair enough, If you feel that the right course of action is to lamp someone with learning disabilities, i'm sure your explanation will be gratefully received if not understood completely. Each to there own.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the guy is disabled, his doctor needs to assess him and make sure he is if no danger or nuisance to the public or himself. Calling him a vile scumbag or whatever isn't appropriate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, If you feel that the right course of action is to lamp someone with learning disabilities, i'm sure your explanation will be gratefully received if not understood completely. Each to there own.
    If you kick my child we won't be having a debate about how you're feeling.
    If someone kicks your child feel free to interview them for as long as you like.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone kicks your child feel free to interview them for as long as you like.

What you're forgetting the person that " kicked" the child probably has the mental age of a child, so there for you physicaly attacking said person is actually worse, as I presume you're mental age equals your actual age.

this is fron the BBC article
    A man standing in front of her then turned around, walked
    towards the child and kicked her in the stomach, causing a
    "minor external injury".
    minor external injury, adult kicks a 1 year in the stomach, and the only injury is minor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    What you're forgetting the person that " kicked" the child probably has the mental age of a child, so there for you physicaly attacking said person is actually worse, as I presume you're mental age equals your actual age.
    I'm not "forgetting" anything.
    I wouldn't know about the persons mental capacity.
    I'd be acting instinctively in defence of my child.

Edit: the additional quote you just added is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If by interview you mean give them or the person with them a chance to explain and apologise rather than lash out, then I agree with your post.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not going to slate you for feeling that way and I agree, defensively I don't know what my actions would be. I suspect I would likely retaliate if an adult kicked my child, its a perfectly understandable reaction.

How I would feel about my reaction upon learning that the person I had struck had learning difficulties or a disability (and wasn't just off their head) is a different matter, I'd be regretful for hitting them.

But in the heat of the moment, with someone attacking my child, that wouldn't be at the front of my mind.
  • Options
    OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    OMG OMG it's not very politically correct, but I do not care one bit if this man has disabilities difficulties whatever. If anyone ever did that to my one year old, I'm sorry but I would lose it. I don't know what I would do in reality, but I feel like I could push him the the bloody road they're waiting to cross. Reading that story has made me so wound up and I am not a confrontational person. I think having a young child myself makes me so sensitive to these things.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understand that - I made a similar comment at the end of my rambling post earlier - but do you really think your instinct would be to go for the guy rather than scoop up the child, check they're ok and get them away from danger?

Silly question I suppose, none of us know for sure how we'd react exactly unless we were in that situation, but I would imagine my first instinct would be to turn to the child. And in that time it might become apparent that the person who did it might have a LD.