What in hell is "thundersnow"?

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Have you ever heard of snow and thunder at the same time? I haven't.

BTW we have sod all snow here today.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - I've seen it - I live just outside Dundee and we have had it a few times. I think it even got its own Facebook page the first time it happened lol.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What it says thunder and snow at the same time, when the cold air bumps into warm air in a volatile atmosphere in the same way lightning in the summer usually occurs when colder air bumps into very warm humid air.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30814403
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a portmanteau - combination of 2 words eg brunch, Oxbridge, liger and even Microsoft !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have seen and experienced it a few years ago.

It was already snowing quite heavily, when I suddenly saw a couple of "flashes" which I thought 'can't be lightning?' but then there were rumbles of thunder afterwards.

When I looked it up I found that it occurs under exactly the same conditions in the clouds as required during summer - the air temperature determining whether the output of the cloud is rain or snow.

It is weird and impressive though
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it a My Little Pony?
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AC/DC song isn't it.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member

It's no different to any other winter thundery shower, except that it's cold enough for the snow to reach the ground rather than melt into rain on the way down. It's interesting enough to warrant its own name, thundersnow.

A few years ago, a particularly active cold front moving quickly south produced a wide (E-W) but narrow (N-S) band of thunderclaps and heavy snow lasting just a few minutes, from the Midlands all the way to the south coast. One minute, nothing but damp pavements. A minute later and all hell broke loose, thunderclaps, lightning, 2 inches of snow. It brought the entire neighbourhood out onto their doorsteps or streets!

EDIT... It was 28th January 2004! How time flies!!! :o
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First heard about it in America.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Yes, a couple of years ago we had thundersnow in Bristol. Actually, I couldn't hear the thunder, but the lightning was an odd colour - purple almost.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    We've had it 3 times over the last few weeks. Big loud rumble woke me up at 4:30 this morning, just in time to catch a lightning flash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    No. It sounds like something that happens in mountainous areas which reminds me -i've always wanted to go skiing:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    sounds like a Wrong Turn film :D
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this doesn't rumble on.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes ,we had a thundersnow storm a few years ago. It wasn't just thunder, there was a lot of lightening as well.It was really beautiful, and something I've never forgotten.
  • mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am desperately hoping it Thundersnows down here in Cornwall...i would LOVE to experience this....EVERYTHING is crossed!!! :D
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Isn't it a My Little Pony?
    No, it's like a thundercat but with less fur.
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw some snowstorm lightning last night - really blue flashes lighting up the sky. Bit freaky really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i wouldn't mind having it here,, all we got is wind :D
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had it this afternoon, but only one clap and the snow didn't settle, so it was a bit underwhelming.

I didn't see it anyway, I was in bed recovering from the flu.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My Son in law, a local, tells me Liecester has an anti snow forcefield around it.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    its just a press term to jazz up a heavy snow shower ..like rebranding something a bit ordinary because were not getting much in the uk except bits and the real blizzards are in the usa and canada..lets face it its not even sub zero so it wont stick around..next it will be snow tornados....
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had one huge bang over Cheshire after 9 am just as the last plane went over heading into Ringway before it then shut for 4 or 5 hours. The crash was huge and the snow then fell very thick for a couple of hours, We ended up with several inches most of which is still there now.

First time I have ever been witness to this rar(ish) meteorological phenomenon.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    its just a press term to jazz up a heavy snow shower ..like rebranding something a bit ordinary because were not getting much in the uk except bits and the real blizzards are in the usa and canada..lets face it its not even sub zero so it wont stick around..next it will be snow tornados....

No ,its not just a press term. It's a thunderstorm that occurs during a snowfall. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's made up.