Jimmy Savile - guilty without trial - is it right or wrong?

CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it right to convict someone who is dead without a trial?

Although the amount of people who have come forward is vast with their claims regarding the conduct of the late Savile, the automatic assumption of guilt via the media and public has got me questioning if it right for us to make that assumption?

In this country you are innocent until proven guilty, Jimmy Savile has not been found guilty in a court of law however the public and media refer to this situtation as he is deemed to be guilty of what he has been accussed of.

Are we right to do that?

Comments

• IvorChestikoffIvorChestikoff Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »

Although the amount of people who have come forward is vast with their claims regarding the conduct of the late Savile, the automatic assumption of guilt via the media and public has got me questioning if it right for us to make that assumption?

In this country you are innocent until proven guilty, Jimmy Savile has not been found guilty in a court of law however the public and media refer to this situtation as he is deemed to be guilty of what he has been accussed of.

Are we right to do that?

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Just what the forum needs, yet another thread on this subject.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes its wrong and after all the things the press have got wrong over the years,ruining peoples lives in the process,you'd think they'd know better.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's neither right nor wrong, as people can gossip as much as they like about the dead without any consequence, they will always do so.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are we right to do that?

Except he's not been convicted.

In court you are innocent until proved guilty.

Hitler never faced trial, do you think he is thus completely innocent of genocide? (Scuze Godwin's Law).
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least we now know what the press would be like if we did not have libel laws.

I hear the press are still campaigning to have them watered down (although Leverson has sort of port that on hold)
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Disclaimer - this is nothing to do with whether he is guilty or not.

I have to admit it makes me uneasy.

He is talked about everywhere as if it is a done deal. everyone on TV now calls him a paedophile and talk about how shocking it is.

If he was alive, it would be very different and libel laws would play a big part. People would be careful what they said and he would go to trial. He is dead and can't defend himself so it is open season - a double standard and hipocritical in that it would be very different if he was alive.

After my death, I wouldn't want my name dragged through mud like that unless and until it was proven in a court of law.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christa wrote: »

Hitler never faced trial, do you think he is thus completely innocent of genocide? (Scuze Godwin's Law).

Although you make a fair point, Hitler was quite public about his crimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The difference is we have loads of proof of what Hitler did,not just a bunch of tabloid rumours.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    The difference is we have loads of proof of what Hitler did,not just a bunch of tabloid rumours.

Errr I think its gone way beyond rumours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Disclaimer - this is nothing to do with whether he is guilty or not.

I have to admit it makes me uneasy.

He is talked about everywhere as if it is a done deal. everyone on TV now calls him a paedophile and talk about how shocking it is.

If he was alive, it would be very different and libel laws would play a big part. People would be careful what they said and he would go to trial. He is dead and can't defend himself so it is open season - a double standard and hipocritical in that it would be very different if he was alive.

After my death, I wouldn't want my name dragged through mud like that unless and until it was proven in a court of law.

You really think he'd want to be alive to face this humiliation & ignominy?

He's lucky to be dead frankly...

Maybe if he hadn't threatened the people around him they might have had the courage to go public with their experiences/concerns while he was still alive. Who's to blame for that eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although you make a fair point, Hitler was quite public about his crimes.

Savile was hardly secretive to be fair...
  • Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's utterly wrong to regard anyone as guilty until a trial has taken place. If we do not accept that, none of has any protection from wrongful allegations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Savile was hardly secretive to be fair...
    What are you referring to?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of his victims made complaints to the police while alive but they were ignored. Newspapers couldn't touch him because of libel laws (uk libel laws are strictest in world) and injunctions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's utterly wrong to regard anyone as guilty until a trial has taken place. If we do not accept that, none of has any protection from wrongful allegations.

Even the dead? Do you want libel laws to extend to the dead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    What are you referring to?

To the fact that he was hardly secretive...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Given no trial (against JS) can take place we are in a difficult position.

The only thing we can do is wait to the enquiries finish and note the conclusion.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    It's neither right nor wrong, as people can gossip as much as they like about the dead without any consequence, they will always do so.

The existence or otherwise of consequences isn't what makes something right or wrong, though, is it?

It's LEGAL to say what you want about the dead, but does that mean it's not wrong?

I must admit, while I'm totally prepared to believe this stuff's true, fact-checking seems to have gone out of the window on a lot of it, and that makes me uneasy. "Lots of people said it" now seems to mean "it happened". I'm not saying it didn't- it almost certainly did- but legal or not, I think it's still wise to point out that these are claims and allegations, rather than proven facts. Just because it helps keep the two things separate, which is where they should be.

Of course, "unproven" doesn't mean the same as "didn't happen".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the fact that he was hardly secretive...
    How do you know he was "hardly secretive"?
  • BRGBRG Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »

Has it though? A lot of people have 'said stuff' and the more people that say stuff the more seem to come forward. Anyway, beyond people 'saying stuff' I've yet to see anything that would constitute proof of any kind. The closest I've seen is video footage corroborating the fact that two people were on a set together in the 1970s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    The existence or otherwise of consequences isn't what makes something right or wrong, though, is it?

It's LEGAL to say what you want about the dead, but does that mean it's not wrong?

I must admit, while I'm totally prepared to believe this stuff's true, fact-checking seems to have gone out of the window on a lot of it, and that makes me uneasy. "Lots of people said it" now seems to mean "it happened". I'm not saying it didn't- it almost certainly did- but legal or not, I think it's still wise to point out that these are claims and allegations, rather than proven facts. Just because it helps keep the two things separate, which is where they should be.

Of course, "unproven" doesn't mean the same as "didn't happen".

If something isn't illegal people can do it regardless of whether its right or wrong.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    1Mickey wrote: »

It is much more than tabloid rumours, albeit it that's how it started
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    If something isn't illegal people can do it regardless of whether its right or wrong.

Oh, of course they can. Your assertion, however, was that "it's neither right or wrong", which isn't quite the same. Don't mistake law for ethics. There's obviously a huge crossover, but that doesn't mean they're the same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »

You think.The problem is we have no idea of whether their is any proof or not.All we have,as far as we know, is circumstantial evidence and accusations and,while they may all be genuine,after 30+ years its questionable whether their would be enough actual evidence to convict him if he was alive.