Shooting in Woolwich, London

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the likes of the BNP and EDL love events like this, because it gives them an excuse to spout their bile.
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    In my experience, because if it's proximity to the local court, there are normally several vehicles with officers adjacent to the station.

I think the police are lucky that more people were not attacked following this incident. There could easily have been a dozen casualties.
    There could have been off-duty officers in the station. They would have been advised not to engage the attackers and to wait for armed response.

It is the case that anyone can suddenly launch armed attacks on the public and the police won't be able to respond immediately. It is also the case that it is exceedingly rare.
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Good point, if the situation were as bad as some here are suggesting we'd surely be having incidents like this once a month, once a week or maybe even daily.

..When you add up the incidents in the name of Allah across Europe not just in Britain you will see it currently clearly outnumbers the ones carried out by Hindus, Buddhists and Jews
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be careful- intelligent comments like this lead to the label of 'apologist'

I think we have forgotten thousands of years of evolution and culture. Right now all I am seeing is a regression. Its like we have given cavemen access to the internet
  • jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjack wrote: »
    Interesting that he says 'our land' (referring to a Muslim homeland of some kind) and 'your politicians' and then says to tell them to bring 'our soldiers' home. He has attacked the armed forces and then refers to them as 'our soldiers', not 'yours'. It suggests something of a conflict in his self identity!

He is a home grown terrorist who has clearly shown where his loyalties lie....He should be tortured.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Oh that's right, I love that Afro-Carribean community in Caledonia, not top mention the many Mosques you have up there and sharia courts..

..Pull the other one mate.

Jesus, now who is being ignorant?.

There are several mosques in Edinburgh and Glasgow, and other mosques in other towns and cities around the country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised how often over the last few hours the TV channels and so called people with local knowledge keep saying how "busy" an area it is. No it isn't and when you look at video's showing the police standing over a person on the TV channels (and the one of one of the killers) that there wasn't that many people standing around curious.

I live near where it happened, the other end of John Wilson Street and was actually crossing that John Wilson Street further down the road when this happened. I didn't see anything as it's round a very slight curve in the road and it was too far and I wasn't looking for it, why would I be? Equally I didn't hear any screaming of them or on-lookers, shouting etc.

Had it been about 100m down Wellington Street things would have been different as it is more populated, but that corner is quiet bar traffic on the roads.

It's interesting that all the "eye-witnesses" haven't mentioned the crowds and number of people seeing it happen. Lots of the so called witnesses are lying and repeating stuff appearing on social media.

It's now 6 hours later. I wish the helicopter would bugger off, they aren't going to get anything spectacular to film now.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that he says 'our land' (referring to a Muslim homeland of some kind) and 'your politicians' and then says to tell them to bring 'our soldiers' home. He has attacked the armed forces and then refers to them as 'our soldiers', not 'yours'. It suggests something of a conflict in his self identity!

I noticed this too. But I think he corrects himself almost immediately and said 'your' in the end.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    chea wrote: »
    I hate the way the media can pick and choose what we see. The itv video even edited out a possible motive. Why?

i know, and i praised them for airing it at first but selecting parts and disgarding some parts just shows their motive. stick to the facts itv
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Its like we have given cavemen access to the internet

I think that's an offence to cavemen!
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i noticed that, he is clearly a londoner and the other man looks like a care in the community extra, not right at all
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I really really wish it was a tiny amount but you know and I know that it's not true..

I believe even a recent Guardian survey concluded that 36% of Muslims in Britain have "sympathy" for the ideas of Al-Qeada, now with England having 5 or so million Muslims (possibly even more) that's a A LOT of of potential nutcases there my friend.

And unlike previous threats like the USSR and the IRA, this one is not going to go away, in fact it will worsen.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know events like this cause a knee jerk reaction, of course they do, but this is just appalling. It seems we have forgotten what it is like to be civilised and all I am seeing is a vast spewing of anger and ignorance. It just seems everyone has lost their heads.

What you are seeing are the true sentiments of the majority of British people who are sick of being called racists by Guardianistas and the likes of Gordon Brown for wanting to preserve our own culture and heritage,when we are constantly being told we must respect the culture of those who want to undermine ours.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know events like this cause a knee jerk reaction, of course they do, but this is just appalling. It seems we have forgotten what it is like to be civilised and all I am seeing is a vast spewing of anger and ignorance. It just seems everyone has lost their heads.

Can you really blame people for knee-jerk reactions? This kind of thing is beyond what any of us know in our daily lives and is horrifying beyond words.

Maybe if our politicians weren't so spineless and useless, less of these dangerous people would be roaming our streets. I think if there's anyone to be disappointed in, it's those who are supposed to keep us safe from heinous acts like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I'm sure the likes of the BNP and EDL love events like this, because it gives them an excuse to spout their bile.

Oh I am sure they do. I bet they are all walking round with massive hard one and thinking their Christmas's have come at once.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I'm quite calm. It's easy to dismiss people's genuine viewpoints by grouping them together and describing it as 'knee jerk'. For instance, I could say your view of posters here is a 'knee jerk' one on the grounds that you do not know any of us, we do not know each other, and some of us have each independently come to conclusions that coincide with each other.

What may look like ignorance to you is actually well-reasoned, thought-out views. It's a bit sanctimonious, in my view, for instance, to take the lofty high ground.
  • jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

No it just reinforces their beliefs that Islam does not belong in Britain full stop.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know what you mean. Emotional over-reactions are common, especially in the immediate aftermath of such an incident.

Cooler and more logical analysis tend to follow later.

But yes, you're largely right, although I 100% understand why people are so upset.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    these ville evil muslim extremists are just hurting the real muslims. and making more people turn on muslims which in turn will turn more muslims to the extremist views.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, now who is being ignorant?.

There are several mosques in Edinburgh and Glasgow, and other mosques in other towns and cities around the country.

One of the benefits of threads like this is that it gives the unintelligent and ignorant scope to identify themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    What you are seeing are the true sentiments of the majority of British people who are sick of being called racists by Guardianistas and the likes of Gordon Brown for wanting to preserve our own culture and heritage,when we are constantly being told we must respect the culture of those who want to undermine ours.

Can you please point me to nay evidence that this is the sentiments of the majority of the British people??
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really really wish it was a tiny amount but you know and I know that it's not true..

I believe even a recent Guardian survey concluded that 36% of Muslims in Britain have "sympathy" for the ideas of Al-Qeada, now with England having 5 or so million Muslims (possibly even more) that's a A LOT of of potential nutcases there my friend.

Perhaps you would like to provide a link to back up those statistics as I have just looked up several Guardian polls and cannot find those figures
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So ? I live in a town with a LOT of irish people, many whom share the same ideas as the IRA regarding Irish unity. Doesn't not mean they agree with there methods of going about it.

So does depend on how support is interpreted.
  • Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic logic at work there. I object to ill-informed, racist comments and therefore defend murder.

Christ.

The killers were black - fact. Where is the racism?
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    No, you just thought you'd have a pop at a poster to wind him up.

Nothing to do with winding anyone up. His posting style makes me uncomfortable and I said so.

I'm going to leave this thread though because I think it's going to end in tears otherwise. This sort of "discussion" is just too intense to end in any way other than bannings and deleted posts.
This discussion has been closed.