Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    Agreed, though the sources may be more valuable as we get towards the release of an old story, though - once the BBC are restoring it and preparing it for release. I understand (I've not checked) that these people were right about the previous finds at that sort of stage. What I don't believe is that they have any sort of insight into what's been found whilst the stuff still resides with Phil M. And I think that's the common consensus - that anything found is still with Phil M and, up to the list-ripping business at least, nobody outside that outfit has any idea what's been found.

The only real evidence about how big the haul might be in general is that Phil M said not to worry about the messy copy of the "Morecombe and Wise" episode because he had another copy of it. Either that's a huge coincidence (him having another copy), or it suggests the amount of material found may be large.

TIEA reportedly told Charles Daniels they were talking about going through 67,000 films.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Newsflash.... more from Scott Frererererere......

"there are plans in place to make several specific events happen"

Yes, people may mock him, but when he comes up with cast-iron, 100% specific predictions like these, people MUST LISTEN!!!!! His statements are clearly the result of behind-the-scenes privileged info, and in no way general, vague, unspecific gossip. You have be told!
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newsflash.... more from Scott Frererererere......

Yes, people may mock him, but when he comes up with cast-iron, 100% specific predictions like these, people MUST LISTEN!!!!! His statements are clearly the result of behind-the-scenes privileged info, and in no way general, vague, unspecific gossip. You have be told!

:D:D:D:D

Unless you are really serious - in which case :o:o:o:o
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Put like that it sounds rather sinister, like the bad guy steepling his fingers on the vidphone to the President whilst tutting about how vulnerable Los Angeles is, sitting on top of that quake zone.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any sign, as of yet, of that Easter announcement?
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »

I really wouldn't hold your breath for that...
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,094
    Forum Member

Have you been reading the Mondas missing episodes thread? I'd like to say it might help shed light on this supposed Easter announcement but frankly it all has me extremely confused now.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which easter though?
  • nextexitnextexit Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    philip morris @archives1963

"Me outside sierra leonne broadcasting corporation pic.twitter.com/1h3QRgfz3P "

This photo got posted a few days ago on the forums (not sure where it came from, presumably Phil's facebook) believed to be from January 2012.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    Have you been reading the Mondas missing episodes thread? I'd like to say it might help shed light on this supposed Easter announcement but frankly it all has me extremely confused now.

What's the gist of the discussion?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the gist of the discussion?

:D:o:D lol

There are literally hundreds of pages of nonsense, with it being impossible to work out who is trolling who.

It stems from the fact notorious con artist Adrian Rigelsford is one of the 60 or so people Phil Morris is friends with on facebook, but after that, you're on yer own. ;-)
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adrian "exclusive interview with Stanley Kubrick" Rigelsford, you mean?
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    :D:o:D lol

There are literally hundreds of pages of nonsense, with it being impossible to work out who is trolling who.

It stems from the fact notorious con artist Adrian Rigelsford is one of the 60 or so people Phil Morris is friends with on facebook, but after that, you're on yer own. ;-)

The one bit that did make sense to me was this private forum thing. The idea of a private forum for sharing of the rumours actually makes sense of some of the unexplained events over the last 6 months or so.

We also learned that the rumour about Planet of Giants Episode 4 is definitely false (but I think most people knew that already) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adrian "exclusive interview with Stanley Kubrick" Rigelsford, you mean?

Yeah, him. There is speculation he is a (presumably unreliable) source for the rumour, but at this point, who knows.

Andrew Cartmel thinks all 97 will be found so yay for that! http://www.islingtontribune.com/news/2014/apr/missing-dr-who-episodes-will-be-found-says-former-script-writer
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Yeah, him. There is speculation he is a (presumably unreliable) source for the rumour, but at this point, who knows.

Andrew Cartmel thinks all 97 will be found so yay for that! http://www.islingtontribune.com/news/2014/apr/missing-dr-who-episodes-will-be-found-says-former-script-writer

I wouldn't read much into that article.

One, the quote from him is all missing episodes "could be found". Whereas the headline reads: "Missing Dr Who episodes 'will be found' says former script writer".

Two, reading what else he actually says, here at least, indicates he knows no more than you or me, and maybe even less: "They found some episodes in Nigeria, and there's rumours of more to come. I think we might get all the missing Troughtons." That doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence in terms of knowledge.

And three, look at his Who credentials: "Mr Cartmel, who oversaw the scripts of the three seasons of the series which starred Sylvester McCoy". Anybody who had anything to do with the 7th Doctor doesn't really inspire me either. ^_^
    Forum Member
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    I wouldn't read much into that article.

One, the quote from him is all missing episodes "could be found". Whereas the headline reads: "Missing Dr Who episodes 'will be found' says former script writer".

Andrew has already said he was misquoted.

There's such an eagerness for news that even the slight trace of positivity is getting blown out of proportion.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

Nope.

Now Sammi Carter just needs to realise that and move on.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Nope.

Now Sammi Carter just needs to realise that and move on.

What is this obsession with Sammi Carter on this thread? He is almost certainly a troll, I don't want a commentary on what he does or anyone questioning what he does on this thread since he has nothing to do with the missing episodes. He does not appear in them or saved/destroyed any of the episodes. He should be ignored. As for your comment I would say that is extremely unlikely and he is obsessed with this missing episode rumour (obsession can be a characteristic of people who are on the autism spectrum)..
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This whole thing is moving beyond a bad joke into the realms of full blown comic farce. Quite why anyone has the patience to follow all these lies and falsehoods is beyond me. And quite frankly if I found the entire haul of missing episodes tomorrow I would chuck them on a bonfire so fandom can move on. Its laughable.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    This whole thing is moving beyond a bad joke into the realms of full blown comic farce. Quite why anyone has the patience to follow all these lies and falsehoods is beyond me. And quite frankly if I found the entire haul of missing episodes tomorrow I would chuck them on a bonfire so fandom can move on. Its laughable.
    No you wouldn't.
    :)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    No you wouldn't.
    :)

well no of course not. It would be a crime against humanity to do so. But its how frustrating this all is that I even typed those words. Its just insane now. Hopefully one day they will all return but until then why not get excited about the brand new era that is about to begin? Its become such a 'thing' that its almost as if some people have forgotten that ultimately its not that big of a deal if they do find the new episodes. There will be no surprises there. Lovely yes. Important? No. To the future!
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why not get excited about the brand new era that is about to begin? Its become such a 'thing' that its almost as if some people have forgotten that ultimately its not that big of a deal if they do find the new episodes. There will be no surprises there. Lovely yes. Important? No. To the future!

Well the bit about no surprises is simply not true. Even though audio and recons exist they do not tell everything about the missing episodes. Some people were surprised at how good Enemy of the World was when they seen it for the first time. Even the Underwater Menace Episode 2 contained surprises.

And it may not seem a big deal to you but it may be a big deal to some fans of the classic series and people who are interested in recovering lost TV footage.

And for me personally I will get excited about Capaldi's era when it starts not months before it starts because it will make the wait even longer (it would be nice if we had 1 series a year). And if I get more excited about it I usually end up very disappointed by rushed conclusions or poor pacing of some episodes.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy easter everyone ;) lol
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    well no of course not. It would be a crime against humanity to do so. But its how frustrating this all is that I even typed those words. Its just insane now. Hopefully one day they will all return but until then why not get excited about the brand new era that is about to begin? Its become such a 'thing' that its almost as if some people have forgotten that ultimately its not that big of a deal if they do find the new episodes. There will be no surprises there. Lovely yes. Important? No. To the future!

Haha, yeah anybody that got in a position to do that (& carry it out) would be right up there with Mark Chapman in my books! :o >:( :cry:
    Forum Member
    Hopefully one day they will all return but until then why not get excited about the brand new era that is about to begin?

Not everyone on this forum is a fan of the new series and I include myself in that group. I watch it, I sometimes enjoy it (and hate it in equal measure) but I'm no fan. Heck, I even stopped watching for a period during the RTD era because I couldn't stand it and only returned at the start of the Matt Smith series. There's an assumption that all fans are fans of both shows but that's not the case. I'd love to have been a fan of New Who but it's never grabbed me, still hasn't.

I'm far more interested in the original series and the 60s era in particular. I grew up with the knowledge that there was an era of the show I'd never get chance to watch. To me it's a magical era, full of crazy ideas and weird worlds. Of course, I know it's also an era of ancient special effects, zero budget and make-do worlds set in quarries. But when rumours are rife that more missing episodes may have been found, well I get rather excited by that :)