Where the main character isn't the star of the show

2»

Comments

• cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Star Trek TOS: Kirk was meant to be the star but Spock was by far the more complex and interesting character.

Red Dwarf: Whilst it's a toss whetehr Lister or Rimmer of both were meant to be the main draw I found Kryten and Original Holly to have some of the best lines and moments.

Chuck: Chuck had a lot to offer but I think more often of John Casey

Agree here, And probably the best addition to an established shows cast ever too.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    A lot of fans homed in on Gabrielle instead of the eponymous Xena. I liked Xena more myself, but it's true that the show wouldn't have been half as good without Gabs.

Regards

Mark
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I'm not sure The Simpson's really qualifies, as right from the start it was never meant to be about Bart, simply the family as a whole. This may be urban myth, but I've read that when the BBC picked it up in the mid 90's, they seemed to think that Bart was the star and touted it as a kids cartoon, so maybe that's where that comes from, but I don't believe that was ever Groening's intention. Bart, then later Homer, may have emerged as the most 'interesting' characters over the years, but I don't believe it's ever been the case that they're meant to be the stars of the show.

It's early evening Saturday night slot would suggest that. However, the fact that they started showing the programme at least 4 years into it's lifetime would indicate they should have known better.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Definitely agree about Big Bang Theory, Leonard or more John Galecki was meant to be the main man in that show but his character became annoying very quick and he was acted off screen by Jim Parsons.

Nowadays it seems Leonard is just there because he is there.

Whilst Leonard isn't anywhere near as funny as the others. He is absolutely the heart if the show. He is whe person who brought everyone together.

He introduced Howard and Raj to Sheldon, after moving in with Sheldin. Then started a relationship with Penny who then introduced Howard to Bernadette because of the pact he and Leonard had. And whilst I personally find the character a bit whiny and annoying, without Leonard there'd be no group.

I also think Penny, who is supposed to be the female lead is generally overshadowed by both Bernadette and Amy. They're both much funnier.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob Lowe's Sam Seaborn was originally seen as the lead character in The West Wing but it didn't turn out that way.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin and Stacey - Gavin and Stacey are the worst characters in it.
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucas and Peyton on One Tree Hill were clearly meant to be the stars of One Tree Hill, but by the end (even before they left) most people preferred Brooke, Hayley and Nathan

The US Office - im only on season 3, but i prefer everyone else's scenes to the Michael ones!

Angel - Sometimes felt like Cordelier was the star (which i was fine with)

I think the most blatant one has to be the new 90210, with Naomi clearly being the star of the show from season 2 onwards... even Silver and Adrianna featured more than Annie!
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Criminal Minds - the first two series had Mandy Patinkin's character, Jason Gideon, in the lead role, or at least I assumed it was that way, as his face appeared superimposed over scenes at the end of the opening music.
    But when Patinkin left at the end of season two, Criminal Minds went on very well without him as they had several other strong characters to build upon.
    For me, Matthew Gray Gubler steals the show as Dr Spencer Reid, but that may simply be personal choice.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    Rob Lowe's Sam Seaborn was originally seen as the lead character in The West Wing but it didn't turn out that way.

And then he left... I remember West Wing was promoted as a Rob Lowe vehicle, but then again it was never planned to have much of the president as a character, in fact I did read somewhere that he was never supposed to appear.

I do think in quite a big way that altered the nature of the plots. Duh you may say, but I do think it would work as an idea a proper 'behind the throne' drama with those unknown characters who occupy the corridors of power and less of the up front camera faces. Just a thought.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grimm has to be Monroe and not Nick who is the Grimm.

Prison Break TBag.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British. are you being served was a vehicle for Mr Lucas, not Mr Humphries
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avon in Blakes 7 (for the first 2 series, until Blake left , and Avon became the lead )
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By all accounts, Adam and Jennifer were supposed to be the key focus on Rules of Engagement with Jeff and Audrey as support characters, but Jeff (and to a lesser extent Audrey) became more popular, so in later seasons, Jeff and Audrey would get more screen time than Adam and Jen.

In fact once they also added Timmy to the main cast to essentially create another 'pairing' with Russell Dunbar, Adam and especially Jen really seemed to get B material and a lot less screen time.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Gavin and Stacey - Gavin and Stacey are the worst characters in it.

That is a great shout! It is an awesome show, But as you say the best people in the show were the families not the title characters
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    And then he left... I remember West Wing was promoted as a Rob Lowe vehicle, but then again it was never planned to have much of the president as a character, in fact I did read somewhere that he was never supposed to appear.

The President in TWW was always supposed to appear but he'd be a minor character - just as he is in the pilot. However, Sheen was so popular with the audiences he eventually became the lead, especially after Rob Lowe left.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A different world changed it's focus
    It followed Denise Huxtable from the cosby show who had gone to college. After just one season, Lisa Bonet quit as she became pregnant. At this point, a different world wasn't a ratings hit. Following Lisa's departure, the show was retooled and it became an ensemble and went on to be a big success for five more years.

Little house on the prairie changed it's focus for the final season. Everyone except Melissa Gilbert's character had left and it became focussed on her and her husband. However it flopped and the show was cancelled. It was a terrible move for the show, which at the time was perhaps one of america's most beloved shows.
  • AraelGrayAraelGray Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Malcolm from Malcolm in the Middle was constantly overshadowed by Hal, Lois, and the rest of the cast.

Hal and the older brother reece...