Options

Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said Poppy99! You've said what I was going to but in a much better and more concise fashion :) It's not cruel, it's honest. Unless Liz has a lot of help from photographers, lighting, make up, hairdressers, digital touch ups etc then she's like the majority of the rest of us - completely ordinary! Her one real asset (IMO) is a nice smile, pity she doesn't do it more often! But when you read columns like today's you do have to wonder who the hell she thinks she is?!

"I had joked with Nic that I wouldn't wear a pair of shoes that cost £400". In this 'joke' is she saying that she wouldn't wear something so cheap? How many of her readers does she genuinely think can afford £400 on a pair of shoes? No wonder she lost the fashion editor gig, she seems to believe she's working for a high end fashion mag and not the DM! I bet Whistles and Jigsaw aren't thrilled by the negative connotations ascribed to their products either.

I was thinking though, I don't know why Nic doesn't just declare her love and then her and Jonesy can live happily ever after! :D

EDIT: I thought she didn't eat yet she was starving? Her sister backed her up agreeing that if Liz turned up there and she hadn't a meal waiting that Queen Liz would never go back. Maybe the baker had things to eat but none of it suited picky Liz? I fail to believe that he had completely empty cupboards?!
  • Options
    BellaFigaBellaFiga Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He must have some bread, at least...
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Well said Poppy99! You've said what I was going to but in a much better and more concise fashion :) It's not cruel, it's honest. Unless Liz has a lot of help from photographers, lighting, make up, hairdressers, digital touch ups etc then she's like the majority of the rest of us - completely ordinary! Her one real asset (IMO) is a nice smile, pity she doesn't do it more often! But when you read columns like today's you do have to wonder who the hell she thinks she is?!

"I had joked with Nic that I wouldn't wear a pair of shoes that cost £400". In this 'joke' is she saying that she wouldn't wear something so cheap? How many of her readers does she genuinely think can afford £400 on a pair of shoes? No wonder she lost the fashion editor gig, she seems to believe she's working for a high end fashion mag and not the DM! I bet Whistles and Jigsaw aren't thrilled by the negative connotations ascribed to their products either.

I was thinking though, I don't know why Nic doesn't just declare her love and then her and Jonesy can live happily ever after! :D

EDIT: I thought she didn't eat yet she was starving? Her sister backed her up agreeing that if Liz turned up there and she hadn't a meal waiting that Queen Liz would never go back. Maybe the baker had things to eat but none of it suited picky Liz? I fail to believe that he had completely empty cupboards?!
    Isn't Nic a stable hand? I wasn't aware that was a high salaried job. I simply do not believe that Nic (if she exists) would turn her nose up at Jigsaw. So even LJ's hired help is wafting around in Dior jodhpurs and Brora cashmere?
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to make the situation totally clear - what has closed is WAGfree's retail outlet/restaurant... in other words, their shop window. The somewhat odd wording was that funding had been withdrawn. Further, D'Scrace's stake in the business has been reliably reported to be 5%. That said, the situation looks far from rosy, despite what their Facebook page may claim.
  • Options
    Suzy_CatSuzy_Cat Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Funding withdrawn"? That IS strange, especially for a commercial enterprise. Was the cafe/restaurant new? Because if not, that's very very very strange indeed. It sounds like an investor, or would-be investor, offered to put some money into the place, then changed their mind, and now the shop cannot afford to stay open. So it can't have been doing at all well in the first place.

So now the Baker is just baking for other outlets. Which could still work very well, lots of businesses do that. But it also sounds like they don't really have their heads screwed on very well, businesswise.

I can understand why the Baker might not even have any bread in the house. He's probably sick of bread, and he probably eats at work. But Liz has been going out with him for a couple of years now, she should KNOW how she has to operate to get what she wants, and if that doesn't suit DON'T BLOODY MARRY HIM.

I still get the impression Liz thinks her dreary is now a delightful romp about the addleheaded fashionista who thinks too much and is obsessed with costly shoes (a la Carrie Bradshaw) and her adorable Opposites Attract relationship with a dozy man of limited means but kind heart, but it really, really isn't.
  • Options
    puffin1962puffin1962 Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    According to WAG-free's website they went production-only in 2013 but kept on the retail shop/cafe as a joint venture with a gluten-free brewery (CELIA lager) - so perhaps the beer company has pulled the plug on the cafe if it is loss-making or perhaps the partnership has come to an end
    Published: 03 October 2013
    On 9th September we started to move all our production from the cramped Brixton shop to spacious premises in Battersea. It's production only - there's no retail there - but it gives us the room to produce more, better stuff and to meet higher quality standards. WAGfree Food Ltd is now based entirely at Unit 5F, Hewlett House, Havelock Terrace London SW8 4AS.

26 Brixton Village remains the home of WAGfree and the lease is in our personal names. We're still selling our bread, pies, cakes and pastries there through a new company, WAGfree Brixton Ltd, which is a joint venture with Martin Vozar and Nick McNally who are the guys behind CELIA lager in the UK. CELIA is a traditionally-brewed Czech lager, entirely gluten free and it is extremely tasty.

WAGfree Brixton Ltd will be trading as Vozars at WAGfree, and as well as very good gluten-free cakes there's exceptional gluten-free cooking from Martin Vozar. Martin was head chef and co-owner of a highly-rated gluten-free restaurant in Prague before teaming up with Nick McNally to import CELIA lager to the UK and try his luck in London.
    http://www.wagfreefood.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    puffin1962 wrote: »
    According to WAG-free's website they went production-only in 2013 but kept on the retail shop/cafe as a joint venture with a gluten-free brewery (CELIA lager) - so perhaps the beer company has pulled the plug on the cafe if it is loss-making or perhaps the partnership has come to an end

http://www.wagfreefood.com/

Vozar and McNally are both 45% shareholders in Wagfree. 5% for Dscrace and 5% for Barrow.
  • Options
    House of JonesHouse of Jones Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    It sounds like the funding may have been pulled from Vozars rather than by Vozars as such - their website says:
    "It is with deep regret that Vozars announces it’s immediate closure due to funding being pulled at the last minute. We thank you all for supporting the business."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stand corrected - the WAGfree retail outlet is still open according to the Vozars site:

"It is with deep regret that Vozars announces it’s immediate closure due to funding being pulled at the last minute. We thank you all for supporting the business.

You can still find WAG free bakery and their excellent gluten free sweets and savouries on the premises."

Most odd... last minute pulling of (presumably promised) funding hints to me of an inadequate business plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just read this weeks Dreary - in which, to pilfer Spike Milligan's wonderful phrase, suddenly ! nothing happened - I think the time may have come to quietly pull the covers over this whole tissue of lies, misinformation, character assassination, petulance and exceedingly poor writing, and tiptoe quietly away...
  • Options
    amikolaichekamikolaichek Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Having just read this weeks Dreary - in which, to pilfer Spike Milligan's wonderful phrase, suddenly ! nothing happened - I think the time may have come to quietly pull the covers over this whole tissue of lies, misinformation, character assassination, petulance and exceedingly poor writing, and tiptoe quietly away...

... yup. And turn out the new, it-cost-more-than -the-gold-plated-Dunhill-lighter, light in The Baker's bathroom when you go, Lizard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four hours to get to Crawley? From where I live perhaps (Belgium) but not S London. Silly mare.
  • Options
    Suzy_CatSuzy_Cat Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you'd rather sleep in the car than share a flat with your loved one because their alarm might wake you up early, you really shouldn't be marrying them IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides which, she could have said no to the photoshoot. It wasn't "for" anyone and it isn't obligatory to have your engagement photographed for a paper.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    BellaFiga wrote: »
    Four hours to get to Crawley? From where I live perhaps (Belgium) but not S London. Silly mare.

Exactly.

I live in Brixton (I do look out for Lizard but alas, I have yet to glimpse her) and we regularly travel to a place south of Gatwick and it usually takes just over an hour, so I'm not sure how it took her 4 hours, even in the rush hour.

Pants on fire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. I can remember driving to Gatwick from where I lived (nr Putney). About an hour and a bit.
  • Options
    nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! I was wondering about the travelling time. Four hours would get me south of Calgary!

When I was in the UK a couple of months ago, it didn't take me four hours to get from Dover to Hounslow and we got lost in London someplace near Harrods.

Was that a good Lizard impression?
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    BellaFiga wrote: »

I live near in Horsham which is ten minutes south of Crawley - in four hours I can be in the Midlands. Also - the hotel is in Turners Hill not Crawley and if you are coming down from London there is absolutely no need to go near Crawley town as it's on the other side of the M23. She really should make her stories slightly believable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and it took the taxi driver half that time to do the same journey... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    And can I just add that she said she couldn't afford to stay in a hotel for the night in Crawley so chose to drive all the way back to Yorkshire; well compare the cost of the fuel with a bed in Sussex and I'm sure a little hotel would work out less expensive.
    Lastly as she was driving all night maybe it would have been better to stay with the fiancee and just put up with the poor lad having to get up at 3 a.m. which might have kept her awake for half an hour or so max.

I am beginning to think LJ is quite mad. I've read her column for years, don't know why I've just posted on here except I finally realise she doesn't write any sense 99% of the time. Am also beginning to find her self obsession more than a bit tedious.
  • Options
    Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Mattpaint wrote: »

I am beginning to think LJ is quite mad. I've read her column for years, don't know why I've just posted on here except I finally realise she doesn't write any sense 99% of the time. Am also beginning to find her self obsession more than a bit tedious.

Join the club, Mattpaint. Join the club.
  • Options
    Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I live near in Horsham which is ten minutes south of Crawley - in four hours I can be in the Midlands. Also - the hotel is in Turners Hill not Crawley and if you are coming down from London there is absolutely no need to go near Crawley town as it's on the other side of the M23. She really should make her stories slightly believable.

I can't actually remember the last time I found anything she wrote believable. She also has the ability to drain the joy out of anything. Photos to celebrate her engagement? Just another chance to whinge.
  • Options
    newbabynewbaby Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not one solitary thing in yesterday's Diary makes sense. Which is some achievement.
  • Options
    Amused HarpyAmused Harpy Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Yesterday's Dreary was just a whingefest and, as usual, she belittled the Baker.

I can't understand why she called Pimlico Plumbers to install a new light fitting in D. Scrace's bathroom. Should it not have been a firm of Electricians? :confused: I must admit at first I thought all that was needed was a new lightbulb and wondered why neither of them could change a bulb!

It's obvious she doesn't love him so why has she got engaged to him? No doubt he's just column fodder for her. If she can't put up with his alarm awakening her at 3.00a.m., I don't think there's much future for them as a couple.
  • Options
    KeepBooksKeepBooks Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    It's obvious she doesn't love him so why has she got engaged to him?

£££££

The question is: Why has HE got engaged to her?

Oh, wait... same answer.