Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could ITV be breathing easier now after a disastrous January? Harry Hill's SITE is probably consigned to the scrapyard and GYAT has finished. SNT and The Brits prove Ant and Dec are the channel's saviours and it's not too long until BGT.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,861
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    So I was right! Not great for People's Strictly, but equally not terrible. Although the fact it started with 3.71 and ended with 3.49 is a bit alarming with a view to future episodes.

Considering the lead-in it had though, will have to go down as a disappointment. But I agree with Score, it was scheduled poorly.

Its not a great rating, but equally it was Strictly in name only atm as it was simply revealing the contestants and showing the initial training (and it was only the first three) I would've thought it'll see a jump for its performance show in two weeks time
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Talking of ITV Media, only just noticed that The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel got 1m (5.8% share) on Film4 on Tuesday. Superb rating !

http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/highlights/ratings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notice BBC Two is to start repeating Some Mothers Do Ave Em. This was a ratings monster in its heyday, the final series in 1978 attracted 18.5 million viewers.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Could ITV be breathing easier now after a disastrous January? Harry Hill's SITE is probably consigned to the scrapyard and GYAT has finished. SNT and The Brits prove Ant and Dec are the channel's saviours and it's not too long until BGT.

ITV needs to stop relying on one programme and/or one set of presenters.

The stupid policy of banking on The X Factor (or variations of 'big entertainment') to anchor their primetime schedule is coming back to bite them.

As soon as the sheen goes off of the show, the rest of the weak line up is exposed. Doubly so when half decent stuff like TV Burp or Take Me Out is cancelled or underperforms.

For the love of Lew Grade, hire people who know how to make programmes and schedule properly!
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why everyone's supportive of Take Me Out - if it was that good, it would support itself.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Notice BBC Two is to start repeating Some Mothers Do Ave Em. This was a ratings monster in its heyday, the final series in 1978 attracted 18.5 million viewers.
    What a baffling order they are showing them in!

Sunday- S1, E2
    Monday- S1, E5
    Tuesday- S1, E3
    Wednesday- S1, E4
    Thursday- S1, E1
    Monday- S1, E6
    Tuesday- S1, E4 (Rpt from previous Wednesday)
    Wednesday- S1, E5 (Rpt from previous Monday)
    Thursday- S2, E2
    Friday- TBA

:confused:
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nodded off on the sofa after watching the Brits last night and had a crazy dream about a trailer for a new crazy comedy gameshow starring Philip Schofield where all the contestants are hypnotised and do silly things with hilarious consequences, and they called it - wait for this - You're Back in the Room, ripping off a Little Britain catchphrase from ten years ago.

I had a laugh to myself when I woke up. :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV needs to stop relying on one programme and/or one set of presenters.

The stupid policy of banking on The X Factor (or variations of 'big entertainment') to anchor their primetime schedule is coming back to bite them.

As soon as the sheen goes off of the show, the rest of the weak line up is exposed. Doubly so when half decent stuff like TV Burp or Take Me Out is cancelled or underperforms.

For the love of Lew Grade, hire people who know how to make programmes and schedule properly!

ITV's problem is its entertainment is very much based around Syco and Ant and Dec. I know the return of SNT has added a million to TMO, and no doubt the return of BGT and the end of TV will see 9 million tuning in each Saturday from April until June, but ITV's other entertainment shows are floundering. Already this year we've seen two big flops, Bear Grylls celebreality show has got off to a poor start and will probably tail off to 2.5 million( these type of shows are so noughties), and TXF is likely to have a rough ride with falling ratings and the RUWC interfering in the autumn.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I quite like this shame they made very few :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC One made three series and three Christmas specials. The last series peaked at 18.5 million as it formed part of the invincible Saturday night on BBC One and had a lead in from The Generation Game, itself a 19 million viewer monster.
    Been watching Hi de Hi repeats on BBC Two this week. This like Allo Allo from the same scriptwriter started as a festive pilot, then went full time in 1981. It survived several cast changes to run for seven series and had 16 million at its peak in the autumn of 1982.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Its not a great rating, but equally it was Strictly in name only atm as it was simply revealing the contestants and showing the initial training (and it was only the first three) I would've thought it'll see a jump for its performance show in two weeks time

Its a worthy cause obviously but we already have CIN Strictly and the Xmas show-the brand strength risks being diluted by re-emerging like this.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    My interest in The BRITs rises or falls based on what was out the previous year. Aside from Sam Smith and Mark Ronson, I wasn't interested in/own any of music from the artists that featured.

I only knew Madonna was on after the whole cape escapade got mentioned on social media (fair play to her for carrying on as though nothing happened).

The incident has worked out well for the Brits and Madonna, both had their biggest moment for years and Madonna got to reinforce her star quality, a lesser experienced act would have fallen to pieces after an incident like that
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Dave (D.M.N.) won't thank you for that. I believe he's an Arsenal fan, the poor bloke!

Thanks anyway, ITV Media should have it later.

Results going the way they have there is a distinct possibility all three UK teams could go out in the return legs, Chelsea are best placed but PSG are no mugs. Both SKY and ITV will be hoping otherwise obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Results going the way they have there is a distinct possibility all three UK teams could go out in the return legs, Chelsea are best placed but PSG are no mugs. Both SKY and ITV will be hoping otherwise obviously.
    Should all three English clubs go out, then ITV are probably relieved they didn't stump up the cash to keep their Tuesday night games as the last couple of years have seen English clubs do relatively badly in the ECL. I know El Classico, or Real Madrid v Bayern Munich, will attract 4-5 million viewers, but matches involving lesser teams are only really for hardcore fans. Same as the Europa League gets moved back to ITV 4 if all the English teams go out, I doubt many viewers relish the prospect of a 0-0 draw involving Steaua Bucharest and Rapid Vienna.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Hence why I didn't expect it to come close to 9m. I don't think 1-1.5m more than it got was a particularly outlandish expectation. The average prediction for it on the DSRPG was 4.9m so clearly I'm not alone in thinking this.

To put in context, I and others thought it was going to be a civilian version of Strictly, not a dance free factual.

I am amazed it got 3.5m now I read that....
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    At least Broadchurch had an excuse that another big drama had arrived in the same slot, probably wiping a million off the total. Wolf Hall has no such excuse. Also I acknowledged that the fall in overnights was disappointing, I was just saying how it was hardly the end of the world, which it clearly wasn't.

Plus I'd argue that a fall from 10.9m to 8.7m is less of a big deal than 6m to 4m, yes. One is a 20% fall, the other is a 33% fall. If you're comparing overnights then 7.6m to 5.5m is a 28% fall whilst 3.9m to 2.3m is a 41% fall. Again quite a difference, especially with Broadchurch's caveat of Silent Witness arriving.

Also if you're so keen to bring Broadchurch in then I'd point out that Broadchurch ended on a series high. Fat chance of Wolf Hall managing that. EDIT: looks like last night was the Wolf Hall finale. It clearly didn't manage that then, far from it in fact. So if you want to compare first to last episodes, Wolf Hall lost 41%, Broadchurch gained 4%.

Some posters are being very defensive this morning. I described Wolf Hall as having an "excellent" overall performance, but clearly even that appears to have touched a nerve.

Well my post was supposed to be a bit of fun just pointing out your different reaction to the similar loss of Broadchurch.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    To put in context, I and others thought it was going to be a civilian version of Strictly, not a dance free factual.

I am amazed it got 3.5m now I read that....

Thats exactly what I thought it was as well. I agree if its just factual it was lucky to get that with the competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not totally on topic, but has anyone noticed at certain times of the day DS has been running very slowly and threads are freezing?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Michael Crawford did all the stunts himself and was finding it too demanding (not to mention minor injuries)
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Well my post was supposed to be a bit of fun just pointing out your different reaction to the similar loss of Broadchurch.

Yours was. Jake's wasn't however. But then again, I should know better than to react to Jake. Don't feed the troll and all that.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Michael Crawford did all the stunts himself and was finding it too demanding (not to mention minor injuries)

They showed the three Christmas Specials over Christmas on BBC 2 and I said on here then they were pretty much the best comedy on over the holidays. They really have not dated as much as some shows from the era.

I also said on here then that the BBC should talk the two back into doing a Christmas special as they would be grandparents now and Jessica's kids would be similar age to her in the Christmas specials.

To see the Spencers at Christmas with grandkids would I think do pretty well.

And more interesting than trying to cobble together yet another Only Fools revival.

If they have any sense they must have tried so I guess his theatre commitments or desire not to risk ruining the legacy might have made him say no.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    For those interested in the new Thunderbirds series, there have been a few more publicity shots released and this time they are of the characters

Lady Penelope is a lot younger and looks like Jessica Simpson albeit with smaller *cough*

and Parker looks like he should be stalking around on Eastenders as a gangster

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/26/thunderbirds-remake-lady-penelope-brains

However one alarming fact is that an episode is written by David Baddiel
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Excellent ratings for both main attractions last night. Hopefuilly the BRITs continues to grow annually now Corden has trundled off to America.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I'm not slagging people off. They're perfectly entitled to perform how they like. But, I am confused as to how artists are regarded as brilliant these days. Look at all the male artists who performed yesterday. Sam, Ed, and George. All three were static and had no stage presence.
    In fairness I think you have to see Ed Sheeran doing a full set in the flesh to really 'get it'. The layers of sound and rhythm he generates with one guitar and a loop pedal is extraordinary.
    The incident has worked out well for the Brits and Madonna, both had their biggest moment for years and Madonna got to reinforce her star quality, a lesser experienced act would have fallen to pieces after an incident like that
    Only the BRITs' biggest moment since Adele's middle finger, in fairness, not that long ago.
    Markynotts wrote: »
    For those interested in the new Thunderbirds series, there have been a few more publicity shots released and this time they are of the characters

Lady Penelope is a lot younger and looks like Jessica Simpson albeit with smaller *cough*

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/26/thunderbirds-remake-lady-penelope-brains
    If you google the full version the picture of Lady Penelope, they've given her a pug! :D:D:D
    They do indeed. I thought they'd boost it and they clearly did as last year's 4.6m was against much weaker competition than last night's show.
    I don't doubt A&D helped but it could also have been boosted by the fact that, as Sheeran said in his second speech last night, commercial British music was in a very strong place throughout 2014. Sam Smith in particular has 'broken' America to an extent which probably only Adele can hold a candle to in my lifetime. Meanwhile, over here, Royal Blood have had the fastest rise to fame since the Arctic Monkeys, yet didn't win the breakthrough category, which I think tells you all you need to know about how many new popular British acts are around right now. The best male category last night was insanely difficult to call, remarkable when you consider that only a few years ago it was weak enough for the likes of Will Young and James Morrison to be up for it. Hopefully the likes of Florence and the Machine will be able to match Taylor Swift for attention in 2015 so that the momentum in British music continues to grow.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not totally on topic, but has anyone noticed at certain times of the day DS has been running very slowly and threads are freezing?

Are you on a IPad? I had that on IPad but not on a PC, This is the only website that does it.
This discussion has been closed.