daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I want to get into comics but was wondering can anyone offer me any ideas for what comic books to start on?

I could also do with help in locating a shop which sells them.

If it helps I live in Glasgow, between 10 -16 and like darker stories.

Thanks Darren.

Comments

• hankmoodyhankmoody Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daznov11 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to get into comics but was wondering can anyone offer me any ideas for what comic books to start on?

I could also do with help in locating a shop which sells them.

If it helps I live in Glasgow, between 10 -16 and like darker stories.

Thanks Darren.

Which character were you thinking about in particular?
  • daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never read any comic books apart from a Spider-man and a Batman one. I did prefer Batman which is why I said "I like darker stories" I will start on Batman but I'm looking for another comic book to read.
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Preacher or The Boys.
  • hankmoodyhankmoody Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you might also enjoy some of the image stuff, especially spawn.
  • daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know about Image or Darkhorse, just DC & Marvel, are there any other companies that make comic books and are there any UK comics apart from DC Thompson.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yes, Egmont publish one called Toxic. If you've seen The Dandy Xtreme, it's similar to that. And there's the long running 2000AD if you like Judge Dredd.
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the Forbidden Planet in Buchanan Street - great little shop. There's another comic shop further down - all I remember is that it sold Chucky dolls. I'm not from Glasgow so don't really know the names of the streets but been there a few times for comics.

One of Marvel's writers is from Glasgow - Mark Millar and there's also a Batman comic where he's in Scotland.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Powers

The Boys
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    if you like Batman, id pick up Year One and its sequels...
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mass09 wrote: »
    if you like Batman, id pick up Year One and its sequels...

...Don't bother with Year Two or Year Three though. They're not canon AFAIK, & Year One has since been followed by the much better The Long Halloween & Dark Victory (I mean better than Y2 & Y3 - Y1 is excellent).

A Batman list I gave in another thread...

Some recommendations (in reading order):

Batman: Year One (post-Crisis retelling of Batman's origin & 1st year, by Frank Miller)

Batman: The Man Who Laughs (1st appearance of the Joker, following on from Year One)

Batman: The Long Halloween (by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale, set after Year One, covers the fall of the mob & rise of the "freaks", & Two Face's origin)

Batman: Dark Victory (Loeb & Sale's sequel to The Long Halloween)

Batman: The Killing Joke (classic Joker story by Alan Moore, cover's his [possible] origin, plus his shooting of Barbara Gordon [which eventually lead to her becoming Oracle])

Batman: A Death in the Family (the death of the 2nd Robin, Jason Todd, at the hands of the Joker)

Some of the others I'd recommend would be (in order, following on from the above, albeit with a gap):

Batman: The Sword of Azrael (introduces Azrael)

Batman: Knightfall (1&2) & Knightsend (Bane breaks Batman's back, Azrael takes up the mantle of the Bat temporarily)

Batman: Prodigal (Dick takes up the mantle of the Bat temporarily)

Batman: Contagion (an Ebola type plague strikes Gotham)

Batman: Legacy (sequel to Contagion)

Batman: Cataclysm (massive earthquake strikes Gotham)

Batman: No Man's Land (after the quake, & the plague before it, the US Govt. abandons Gotham for a year)

Batman: Hush (new villain appears, who seems to be manipulating other Batman villains as part of some grand scheme)

After "Hush" there's also been stuff such as "Bruce Wayne: Murderer?", "Bruce Wayne: Fugitive", "War Games", "War Crimes".

Can't think what else. I actually stopped buying the Bat-books regularly a few years ago. Was tempted to go back, but was put off by reading about "Infinite Crisis" and "Final Crisis".

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    ...Don't bother with Year Two or Year Three though. They're not canon AFAIK, & Year One has since been followed by the much better The Long Halloween & Dark Victory (I mean better than Y2 & Y3 - Y1 is excellent).

Yep, those are the ones i class as the sequels, not Y2 or Y3