I'm stunned she was fantastic. :(

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So am I!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Perhaps yes - but they vote for their favourite celebrity.

I doubt anyone under 10 knows who Laura is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea who she is but I voted anyway because her skating was far better then anyone else's bar Vanille Ice. If she goes I will be so annoyed, she's great.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Foxy, I'm not sure I agree.

I've always maintained that shows like DOI and Strictly are about personality as well as talent.

I think the problem here is that the judge's scores counted for nothing tonight. That was a mistake because Laura's superior skating wasn't recognised. She was never going to avoid the skate-off based on popularity alone because very few people know her.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »

I've always maintained that shows like DOI and Strictly are about personality as well as talent.

I think the problem here is that the judge's scores counted for nothing tonight. That was a mistake because Laura's superior skating wasn't recognised. She was never going to avoid the skate-off based on popularity alone because very few people know her.

Exactly - judges votes could have counted and the bottom 3 overall done the skate off.
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just crazy that Laura is in the skate-off, but yes, these shows are more about popularity than anything else, at least in the earlier stages. Thankfully in DOI the winner is usually someone who really can skate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah it's a public vote and more people voted for other people and so they deserve their place but just because she's an unknown doesn't mean she doesn't have a great personality. The new system is to blame because she could have been safe for a few weeks because of the judge's vote which would give people a chance to get to know her. It will be such a shame if she goes. I was really excited when I saw her skate. Trust me to pick an unpopular person. :D
  • shoesgirlshoesgirl Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry that any of these three are going - Laura was clearly one of the strongest skaters but I thought both Angela and Nadia had potential.
    Angela for me was one of the best "older" skaters yet - look how far the dreadful Aggie and Coleen got in their time - Angela on week one was better than both put together after all their weeks on the show.
    Such a shame ITV decided to have so many skaters in this year. It would have been better to have fewer and see more of them improve than to have this cull of 4 skaters in the first two weeks.
  • caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the problem here is that the judge's scores counted for nothing tonight
    . That was a mistake because Laura's superior skating wasn't recognised. She was never going to avoid the skate-off based on popularity alone because very few people know her.

I'm only half watching, but I didn't realise that. :o
    Maybe just me, but I wonder if some didn't vote because they thought she was safe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thank goodness that she is through. :D
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thank goodness that she is through. :D

Yes, panic over!

It was slightly bittersweet for me though because I lost Nadia in the process :(

Wish it was only one leaving tonight (I could have coped with saying goodbye to Angela, as much as I like and admire her).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, panic over!

It was slightly bittersweet for me though because I lost Nadia in the process :(

Wish it was only one leaving tonight (I could have coped with saying goodbye to Angela, as much as I like and admire her).

I definately don't like the two person elimination, especially since we don't get enough time to get to know anyone. I don't know Nadia that well to be honest (I did think she should have gone for skating reasons :o) but I'm sorry she's gone. Its always sad to lose contestants... unless they are Coleen and it's the semi-final. :D
  • mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's a public vote and more people voted for other people and so they deserve their place but just because she's an unknown doesn't mean she doesn't have a great personality. The new system is to blame because she could have been safe for a few weeks because of the judge's vote which would give people a chance to get to know her. It will be such a shame if she goes. I was really excited when I saw her skate. Trust me to pick an unpopular person. :D

Exactly. For some reason the voting public seems to only want to vote for people they've heard of and already like.
    Basically the voting public seems to rate "celebrity" as more important than talent. Very sad really that it seems being talented is less important than being in the papers or on TV a lot.