Options

Empire 301 Greatest Movies

Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
The new issue of Empire has a (readers) list of the 301 Greatest Movies.

At #1 is The Empire Strikes Back.

Anyone else read the issue/list? What are the general thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a link online to the list?
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Not that the ones at the top aren't good films. Some of them are very good or even great films. It's just like as you say, the same old faces. Usually more modern big name films which people have heard of because the media talk about them more than other films.

When I look further down that list I see much more interesting films, and often what I think are better films.
    In fact it wouldn't matter if you'd turned the list upside down. The ones near the bottom could just as well be near the top.
    For example if you swapped the film placed at 301, 'Bicycle Thieves', with the one at number 1, 'The Empire Strikes Back', that would be fine with me.:D

The Empire Strikes Back is a very enjoyable film, but the number 1 greatest movie? I don't think so. Not by a long shot.
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Empire did a similar list six years ago, although then it was a Top 500.

On that list, The Breakfast Club was #369, which means it's moved up 331 place to rank #38 this time.:o

Other than that, the results are rather predictable.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empire did a similar list six years ago, although then it was a Top 500.

On that list, The Breakfast Club was #369, which means it's moved up 331 place to rank #38 this time.:o

Other than that, the results are rather predictable.

Not a bad thing then as that movie contains those lines:

“Well, if you say you haven’t, you’re a prude. If you say you have, you’re a ****. It’s a trap. You want to but you can’t, and when you do you wish you didn’t, right?”

Rather appropriate when you think about that murderous misogynist who killed the people in Santa Barbara last week. And all the other examples of misogyny in the news this week.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of those 300, i have seen 97 of them and probs actually liked about 10 of them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The Empire team have expressed surprise about some of the choices on their podcast. They seemed confused by Prometheus making the list, but it was a public vote so they didn't have a say.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empire is a great movie , I'm happy it came top .

is there any info on how people voted , I mean did they just vote for one movie or in different categories ?

• Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Empire is a great movie , I'm happy it came top .

is there any info on how people voted , I mean did they just vote for one movie or in different categories ?

I voted. You chose your top 5 films in no particular order.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a list is a LIST!
    compiled by many readers .....
    except ME!
    buying it since issue TWO and have never wrote to the mag .....
    although i post on the forum
    fine with me what ever no1 is
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen 45 films all the way through out of the top 301:

Thoroughly disliked Atonement, Transformers and Black Swan out of those 45. I generally don't like depressing fims though - Atonement and Black Swan are definitely that to me.

Love the Back to the Future films, Home Alone, the Graduate, the Goonies, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Die Hard, Forrest Gump and the Shawshank Redemption.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Moon listed
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realize it's all subjective, but the fact Bay's Transformers is on that list gives the list credibility issues in my 'umble opinion
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I realize it's all subjective, but the fact Bay's Transformers is on that list gives the list credibility issues in my 'umble opinion

You beat me to it. A staggering inclusion. It's an abysmal film.

And I note that the people are wrong again in placing Terminator and Alien below their respective inferior sequels. When will people learn?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The Empire team have expressed surprise about some of the choices on their podcast. They seemed confused by Prometheus making the list, but it was a public vote so they didn't have a say.

Thank Christ for that. I thought for a minute that it was a credible list.:o
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have a problem with the list itself as it was voted for by readers, although I do tire of seeing the usual suspects in the top 10, but what a lazy article. What the crap is a this MVP and OMG one liners. Some kind of Twitter-esque short and snappy bullcrap.

I have a copy of Empire from 1998 where they printed a readers poll and it was much better. Lovely paragraphs written for each entry.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted. You chose your top 5 films in no particular order.

but does your top choice get 5 points , fourth 4 points etc. ?
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately Empire runs a populist agenda geared towards teenage boys and young men where superhero and CGI blockbuster movies are constantly featured on the cover and in the main articles. I can't quite believe they still churn out articles on Star Wars and Spielberg for example when everything that needed to be said was said "a long time ago"...
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ It does speak volumes about the magazine's target demograph. I'm sure the advertisers & marketing dept. are pleased.

As for the list itself, nothing remotely surprising here. Though a glance towards the lower end has some interest (Come and See/Eyes Wide Shut), along with old warhorses who perhaps don't cut it so much now (West Side Story :()
    Don't have a problem with the list itself as it was voted for by readers.
    Well we trust it was, but that wasn't always the case.

Supposed 'readers polls' that were actually thrown together by a few half-pissed hacks around a pub table used to be rife in publishing. Not sure these days mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    intruder2k wrote: »
    Unfortunately Empire runs a populist agenda geared towards teenage boys and young men where superhero and CGI blockbuster movies are constantly featured on the cover and in the main articles. I can't quite believe they still churn out articles on Star Wars and Spielberg for example when everything that needed to be said was said "a long time ago"...
    If they didn't feature superheroes and CGI blockbusters, the magazine would be bare these days. All the big films are superheroes and CGI blockbusters, and for a commercial film magazine not to feature big films would be stupid.

Screen Magazine and Sight and Sound can get away with more indie orientated fare because they're aimed at industry members and enthusiasts, the kind of people who are more likely to enjoy less well known films, whereas Empire is aimed at the general public, so has to feature films that are exciting them.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An unsurprising list since it's a readers' poll and therefore rubbish by definition. As others have said, though, I think it reflects the magazine's demographic (which appears to be sci-fi geeks and generally people under 25).

Yes there are some good films on the list but it lost all credibility for me the moment I saw both Hunger Games films listed. Really? Best films of all time? No, the title of this poll should have been "Empire Readers' Favourite Films", which would have been more accurate (since the public are always unable to distinguish genuinely great films / music / TV programmes etc. from ones they just happen to like).
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not even the best Star Wars movie and a long way below the best 301 films ever made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Not even the best Star Wars movie and a long way below the best 301 films ever made.

Thought I was the only person that didn't like Empire Strikes Back, in your opinion what is the best Star Wars film?

I think Return of the Jedi is the best, but I'm well aware I am literally the only person in the world that thinks that...
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aliens is too high up.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen about half the list all the way through.
    It is as bad and pointless as a CH4 top 100 countdown.