David Cameron rules out restrictions on MPs’ second jobs

Demonia90Demonia90 Posts: 195
Forum Member
Ft.com
David Cameron has ruled out new restrictions on MPs’ second jobs, resisting pressure from Ed Miliband to take action after two senior politicians were caught out by an undercover sting.
Two former foreign secretaries, Jack Straw and Sir Malcolm Rifkind, had been recorded offering to help a fictitious Chinese company in return for payments.
The prime minister suspended Sir Malcolm from the Conservative parliamentary party on Monday, saying he would convene a disciplinary committee to investigate the case: “I want people to know in this country our members of parliament are there to serve their interests and their country.”

Comments

• sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he would, wouldn't he!? They didn't get to be multi-millionaires on standard mp salaries.

“I want people to know in this country our members of parliament are there to serve their interests and their country.”

Typical ambiguous statement, as you'd expect from a politician these days.
    Does the first "their" relate to "people" or "members of parliament"?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The corruption of government never stops. An MP having a 2nd job should not merely be restricted, it should be banned.

But they'll all at it, so someone new and currently outside of politics would need to take it on.

Like many of these large organisations, the people within them don't see they are doing anything wrong. They have their own local morality.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with MPs having a second job, as long as there's no conflict of interest.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    A favourite excuse is that MPs having a second job means that they are keeping in touch with the what life is like for the electorate. However, I have noticed that these second jobs tend not to be things like checkout operators, call centre workers, fast-food sellers, etc. Funny, that...
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A favourite excuse is that MPs having a second job means that they are keeping in touch with the what life is like for the electorate. However, I have noticed that these second jobs tend not to be things like checkout operators, call centre workers, fast-food sellers, etc. Funny, that...
    It's also amazing how many of those jobs are linked to contacts - sorry skills - gained since becoming an MP.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Demonia90 wrote: »

Quite right.

Electors choose their M.P.s and it's up to the electorate to decide whether their M.P. is doing a good job for them.

Every worker in the country has leisure time. No one works twenty four hours a day. Many people have second jobs. And if people like William Hague choose to write a book in their leisure time and have it published then who could stop him?
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The corruption of government never stops. An MP having a 2nd job should not merely be restricted, it should be banned.

But they'll all at it, so someone new and currently outside of politics would need to take it on.

Like many of these large organisations, the people within them don't see they are doing anything wrong. They have their own local morality.

yes.yes they should be. i take it you are as equally irate at firemen having second jobs as well then.:D;-)
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Quite right.

Electors choose their M.P.s and it's up to the electorate to decide whether their M.P. is doing a good job for them.

Every worker in the country has leisure time. No one works twenty four hours a day. Many people have second jobs. And if people like William Hague choose to write a book in their leisure time and have it published then who could stop him?
    Do think that using your position as MP to make money is correct?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Do think that using your position as MP to make money is correct?

I don't understand the question. I do not object to anyone having a second job if it suits them. There are twenty four hours in a day. There is time for someone to work eight hours a day and still have time for a second job. That leaves weekends and holiday breaks for relaxation.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand the question. I do not object to anyone having a second job if it suits them. There are twenty four hours in a day. There is time for someone to work eight hours a day and still have time for a second job. That leaves weekends and holiday breaks for relaxation.

And yet as recently as 2011...Third of MPs say they considered quitting over long hours in Commons.
    Politicians complain that late-night votes and the strain of splitting their lives between constituencies and London places them under strain.

If that is really the case it is remarkable they still manage to find time for a second job.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps the ballot paper should have next to the candidates name the percentage of time they will undertake MPs duties against other paid work? ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And yet as recently as 2011...Third of MPs say they considered quitting over long hours in Commons.

If that is really the case it is remarkable they still manage to find time for a second job.

I clearly said

... if it suits them ....
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support restrictions on 2nd jobs for MPs but that should be coupled with an increase to their salary so that we can attract a better class of MP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I clearly said

... if it suits them ....

My point is that if MPs are working such long hours as they claim, and it is a claim often made, they simply won't have time for a second job, unless they aren't being entirely honest about the actual number of hours they work, of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support restrictions on 2nd jobs for MPs but that should be coupled with an increase to their salary so that we can attract a better class of MP.

There is absolutely no evidence to support the claim that the astronomical remuneration packages those at the top of most companies has led to any improvement in the quality of those fulfilling those roles, so why should MPs be any different?
  • OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    As long as the second job doesn't involve them compromising their role as an MP such as selling services they only have access to due to that then fine. In fact as long as being an MP isn't their second job fine. Given the current two incidents are, arguably, against the current rules it seems a bit redundant to introduce new ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My point is that if they are working such long hours as they claim, and it is a claim often made, therey simply won't have time for a second job, unless they aren't being entirely honest about the actual number of hours they work, of course.

They have support staff and many of them do work exceptionally hard. If they spend eight hours a day on their M.P. duties then what they do with the rest of their time is their business. If they can fit in a second job then so be it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have support staff and many of them do work exceptionally hard. If they spend eight hours a day on their M.P. duties then what they do with the rest of their time is their business. If they can fit in a second job then so be it.

I doubt many MPs would claim to only work 40 hours a week....
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

If I were to make money from a third party out of the resources provided by or gained at the expense of my employer then I would be out on my ear. This is not a unique situation, incidentally.
  • worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt many MPs would claim to only work 40 hours a week....

MPs are sort after by companies because they have political clout in varying degrees.
    The high up the more clout they have the more money they demand.
    Why would any company pay them large sums other than to have them use their influence .
    The same goes for political parties and donors .
    No body in their right mind is going to part with large sums of cash without wanting something in return.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being an MP should be a full time job with little time to do anything else. If you're no willing to commit to that, then don't become an MP as you're clearly not committed enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not trivialise this nonsense by calling it a "second job". We all know what it is and it stinks.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he has spare timet IDS can work in Poundland for no pay like he expects others to. That would give him a greater idea of the real world than these bogus jobs half of them do.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I would restrict them to earning the same as the MP's base salary from outside income. Not exactly tiny, but it would stop people becoming millionaires by doing it.
  • GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is absolutely no evidence to support the claim that the astronomical remuneration packages those at the top of most companies has led to any improvement in the quality of those fulfilling those roles, so why should MPs be any different?

So a QC should take a pay cut of many hundreds of thousands of £ to become an MP.
    Though we may all dislike lawyers to some degree we do need rather a goodly number in the Commons to oversee the laws that are enacted by the State.

60k pa may seem like a fortune to many but it wont attract people who might be rather good at doing things. Those kind of people can usually earn far more in both the private and public sector.