Why hasn't Diana opened the show?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The title is self explanatory. Now I might be wrong. I finish work at half six and I tend to get home an hour later, damn traffic but I'm pretty sure Diana has never opened the show. Why is this? Everyone else has had to do it and it's the spot that nobody really wants due to the fact the phone lines don't open till the last act has sang. I suppose it won't matter so much this week as they are singing two songs but I think it's been a bit unfair. What's stopping her from going first?

Comments

• C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither JLS nor Ruth have sung first either and both of them have performed last.
  • One and OnlyOne and Only Posts: 4,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its because she is so good and the duffers (like Alex) go on before her.;)
  • LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    I think you already know the answer to your question.

As you say, it's the worst spot. Go figure why it's never been given to Diana. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As you say, it's the worst spot. Go figure why it's never been given to Diana. ;)

Or Ruth... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you know what the say... Save the best till last? :)
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member

At this point in the show, people have their favourites who they'll vote for no matter if they sound good/bad, go on first/last look at Eggnog and Alex this week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Neither JLS nor Ruth have sung first either and both of them have performed last.

But they have sang second before and when there were a lot of contestants so earlier performances were easily forgotten. Diana has never sung earlier then midway through the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this point in the show, people have their favourites who they'll vote for no matter if they sound good/bad, go on first/last look at Eggnog and Alex this week.

At this point in the show it doesn't matter. They sing two songs and they get to sing while the phone lines are open. I'm just talking about the earlier stages of the competition.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    At this point in the show it doesn't matter. They sing two songs and they get to sing while the phone lines are open. I'm just talking about the earlier stages of the competition.

Yeah I did wonder why she was normally the second girl to perform or the last, Alex seemed to have to be the first girl for the most part.
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Or Ruth... ;)

For the record, I'm actually very appreciative of both Diana and Ruth. But it's very clear who Simon and/or the production team want to give a helping hand to. ;)
    Forum Member

Sure, but in the early stages (and to some extent, for the floating voters, the middle bit) going first is a great disadvantage. How many times this series has the bottom two come from the first acts to perform?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From another thread:

The worst slots are generally the earliest, particularly the first two up. They're vote killers as shown throughout the first 4 series. Diana's position each week has been:

Week 1: 8/12
    Week 2: 9/11
    Week 3: 9/10
    Week 4: 3/9
    Week 5: 5/8 (laryngitis)
    Week 6: 6/7
    Week 7: 5/6

So only once in 7 weeks has Diana been in the first half of the show, and never in the first two to sing. She's been in the late-to-sing pimp slots 4 times out of 7.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they have sang second before and when there were a lot of contestants so earlier performances were easily forgotten. Diana has never sung earlier then midway through the show.

Singing second isnt singing first, which is what you were complaining about in your first post. Stop whining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's never been last though which is surely the best spot?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    I really don't believe that being in the opening slot is the kiss of death that some posters on here seem to think. Voters tend to go for either a confirmed favourite or someone who performs well on the night. No one's attention span is that short.

The only area where it's likely to have an effect is sympathy voting - i.e. if a contestant gets slated by the judges towards the end of the night then that'll be a fresher memory than a slagging off 70 minutes before the phone lines open.

The placement of sing-off performers in this year's live shows has been:

Week 1 - 1st (Girlband) & 9th (Bad Lashes)
    Week 2 - 3rd (Ruth) & 4th (Girlband)
    Week 3 - 1st (Scott) & 2nd (Daniel)
    Week 4 - 1st (Rachel) & 2nd (Austin)
    Week 5 - 2nd (Ruth) & 3rd (Laura)
    Week 6 - 1st (Daniel) & 4th (Rachel)
    Week 7 - 3rd (JLS) & 4th (Rachel)

In each of the four cases when the first act is in the sing-off they're all acts who - rightly or wrongly - have been perceived as weaker performers anyway. The distribution of other positions is hardly indicative of anything. Bad Lashes in week 1 should have been extra-safe, but they went home...!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    Singing second isnt singing first, which is what you were complaining about in your first post. Stop whining.

How rude. I was only asking people's opinions on the matter. She hasn't sang in the first half of the show bar one week and that week she was still fourth in the line up. If you don't like the thread go somewhere else. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member

Week 1 - 1st (Girlband) & 9th (Bad Lashes)
    Week 2 - 3rd (Ruth) & 4th (Girlband)
    Week 3 - 1st (Scott) & 2nd (Daniel)
    Week 4 - 1st (Rachel) & 2nd (Austin)
    Week 5 - 2nd (Ruth) & 3rd (Laura)
    Week 6 - 1st (Daniel) & 4th (Rachel)
    Week 7 - 3rd (JLS) & 4th (Rachel)

But look at the statistics you've quoted. All but one of those finding themselves in the bottom two performed in the first four. That speaks volumes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's also the factor that people may miss the beginning, and only see a brief clip of the early performers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also the factor that people may miss the beginning, and only see a brief clip of the early performers.

I know I usually fall into that category. I normally come in from work as the third performer takes the stage. Thank God for sky plus. :D
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eer, JLS and Ruth has not performed 1st either. What is this thread trying to say? that Diana is being favoured?! JLS had always nearly performed last except for this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrellis33 wrote: »
    eer, JLS and Ruth has not performed 1st either. What is this thread trying to say? that Diana is being favoured?! JLS had always nearly performed last except for this week.

Calm down dear it's just a thread. ;)

Its only a question asking why she hasn't. She hasn't even featured in the first half of the show before. But of course this must be negative and therefore I am a terrible Diana basher that needs to be burned at the stake. :rolleyes:
  • PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    david_f wrote: »
    From another thread:

Week 1: 8/12
    Week 2: 9/11
    Week 3: 9/10
    Week 4: 3/9
    Week 5: 5/8 (laryngitis)
    Week 6: 6/7
    Week 7: 5/6
    Calm down dear it's just a thread. ;)

Its only a question asking why she hasn't. She hasn't even featured in the first half of the show before. But of course this must be negative and therefore I am a terrible Diana basher that needs to be burned at the stake. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should read your own thread more carefully?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The running order is not random. You don't get 12 million viewers by being random. The most obvious example we saw of this is that in Britain's Got Talent, in all 5 semi-finals, the final act to perform was always the only one to win the public vote that night. By that evidence, Diana is being disadvantaged.

What we also saw in Britain's Got Talent was that the second act through was rarely the one that performed second last. Indeed, there seemed to be a pattern that suggested acts performing 2nd or 3rd on the night (Strike, Andrew Muir, Cheeky Monkeys, Kate and Gin and although she didn't make it through, auditions favourite Madonna Decena sang second or third.)

Another pattern was that of an upbeat act to open the show, often colourful dance troupes.

BGT is a good example of looking at how the producers would schedule a show if they had total freedom. On XF, there is a requirement to move things around and separate the judges. That didn't exist on BGT.

What the running order there told us was that they picked 2 spots that were key for the show. Not to get people through, but for the ratings. For example, after the first ad break, you want to make sure people come back and really get into the show so you dangle a popular or much talked about act as bait. And after letting us know that Faryl/George/Signature/Andrew/Escala are going to be on the show, they make sure we wait until the end.

The best analogy, IMO, is supermarkets. No supermarket has ever stocked the bread and milk at the front door but they tend to have the attractive and colourful fruit there for you. There is also a higher tendancy for Simon to wind up one of his fellow judges at the first act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrellis33 wrote: »

Yeah because Diana is the favorite remember. Diana is never first: OUTRAGE! JLS and Ruth are never first: Nothing. Diana's song is changed at the last minute: Outrage JLS' song is changed at the last minute: Nothing.