Alan Duncan MP hypocrite

Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
Forum Member
Alan Duncan jokes about killing Miss California for her homophobic views . This didn't stop him from joining the Conservative party in 1979 and idolising Mrs Thatcher whose own views were bordering if not full on homophobic. It was Labours 1997 election that set in motion the current state of Gay equality and allowed him to actually come out . Where was his militant gay rights views (as seen in the HIGNY video ) when the conservatives were demonising gay people during the 70/80/and early 90's ?? oh that's right he kept quiet while working his way up the greasy political pole. He really is a nauseating little hypocrite ....lest we also forget multi millionaire Duncans priceless comments during the expenses scandal that " living on a MP's salary is difficult .." he made his fortune in Oil before entering parliament .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfS0IeR6hc

Comments

• jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    This is kind of old news. Why are you bringing this up now?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    It was Labours 1997 election that set in motion the current state of Gay equality and allowed him to actually come out .

That's not strictly true.
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    This is kind of old news. Why are you bringing this up now?

I didn't realise there was a time limit on news. I've only just seen this on youtube and thought I would comment .
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    That's not strictly true.

Do tell whats not strictly true ?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise there was a time limit on news. I've only just seen this on youtube and thought I would comment .

Fair enough, although stuff that happened over four years ago can't really be called news!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do tell whats not strictly true ?

That Labour are some sort of paragon of gay equality. Firstly, the age of consent was equalised as a result of the European Court of Human Rights, not the government - they were quite resistant to it as I recall. Secondly, they lagged behind every comparable country in Europe before legalising civil partnerships.

While it's debatable whether the Tories would have done any of that stuff (though the age of consent was decided by the ECHR so would have been forced on them), let's not mythologise Labour's role - gay rights had swept Europe from the 1990s onwards and public opinion had already changed accordingly. They didn't lead anything, they just followed where society already was.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise there was a time limit on news.

try posting on Labour's misdeeds before 2010 and you will quickly see that there is, at least there is in relation to anything Labour did less than well ................
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

There's some dirty foreigners kicking off in Hastings.
    I can smell the garlic from here.
    Forum Member
    That Labour are some sort of paragon of gay equality. Firstly, the age of consent was equalised as a result of the European Court of Human Rights, not the government - they were quite resistant to it as I recall. Secondly, they lagged behind every comparable country in Europe before legalising civil partnerships.

While it's debatable whether the Tories would have done any of that stuff (though the age of consent was decided by the ECHR so would have been forced on them), let's not mythologise Labour's role - gay rights had swept Europe from the 1990s onwards and public opinion had already changed accordingly. They didn't lead anything, they just followed where society already was.

Labour ushered in a fresh and a liberal era for gay rights in this country . Trying to downplay Labours role in this is plain silly. My point is that under the Tories gay people were demonised and treated as second class citizens. Its hypocritical for (gay)Tory MPs to suddenly become open and support gay rights when for 18 years they kept quiet to further their own careers , Duncan et all lack a back bone and are disgusting in my opinion .
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rather pink tinted glasses, I'd say.

The Tories have NEVER been responsible for any socially liberating legislation. They have always been dragged kicking in that direction, and famously tried to pull things back with the utterly abhorrent Clause 28.

It was a Labour Home Secretary that legalised homosexuality in the first place, and it was one of very few positives of the New Labour government that more progression was made, including civil partnerships.

I don't actually think Thatcher was a homophobe, merely ignorant about such matters and allowed herself to be influenced by the many truly vile phobes around her like Tebbitt. One thing if for sure - if one was gay, then they were The Enemy, no matter how much sympathy one had for anything else they did. Dinosaurs in this regard.
  • johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour ushered in a fresh and a liberal era for gay rights in this country . Trying to downplay Labours role in this is plain silly. My point is that under the Tories gay people were demonised and treated as second class citizens. Its hypocritical for (gay)Tory MPs to suddenly become open and support gay rights when for 18 years they kept quiet to further their own careers , Duncan et all lack a back bone and are disgusting in my opinion .

Strange, first you say gays were demonised and treated as second class citizens. Then you say hes a coward and lacks a backbone for not coming out. Well imo i cant blame him for remaining in the closet.

Also old news is old
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour ushered in a fresh and a liberal era for gay rights in this country . Trying to downplay Labours role in this is plain silly.

Things are certainly better for gays under Labour, but they weren't really that commited to the cause until the mid 2000s. It's always conveniently forgotten that they specifically left out equalisation of the age of consent from the 1997 manifesto and had to be forced to do it by the ECHR. They did that because they weren't sure the public supported it (and iirc, opinion polls showed they didn't).

The gay rights agenda was only fully embraced by Labour in the mid 2000s when, quelle surise, the opinion polls had changed. That isn't leading society, and it certainly isn't ushering in a liberal period. It's simply following where society already is. If anyone should get the credit for where we are now, it should be the media because they're the ones who truly changed public opinion and by extension government policy.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Duncan is an amateur compared to the conniving machinations of the evil Nick Boles.
    Forum Member
    Strange, first you say gays were demonised and treated as second class citizens. Then you say hes a coward and lacks a backbone for not coming out. Well imo i cant blame him for remaining in the closet.

Also old news is old

Not strange at all -read my post. He came out after 1997 when Labour paved the way . He now seems to portray himself as a militant gay freedom fighter lol when in fact he's a hypocritical little coward for supporting a party that was horribly homophobic since he joined in 1979.