Pet steps

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone know a good place to get steps for pets in the UK? The sort of thing to help them get onto furniture and window ledges easier. Or any suggestions of what else to use?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Is this because your diabetic cat has wobbly back legs? If so start dosing with Vit B12 Methylcobalamin. It can completely reverse the effects of diabetic neuropathy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this because your diabetic cat has wobbly back legs? If so start dosing with Vit B12 Methylcobalamin. It can completely reverse the effects of diabetic neuropathy.

Yes, not so strong in his back legs. His Mum ( non - diabetic )needs help too though!
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, not so strong in his back legs. His Mum ( non - diabetic )needs help too though!

Awww....poor babies :(

I have found these SL http://www.petsathome.com/shop/easy-step-pet-stairs-by-pet-gear-(online-only)-13603
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I used a breezeblock in the past to help them get in through the catflap. Breezeblocks probaby wouldn't look attractive in the house:D Not sure those steps are very pretty either though!

Can you not just rearrange furniture so they can use the furniture itself (if you see what I mean). My 14 year old can't jump on the windowsill but I have an armchair by the window so she jumps on the seat, then the arm, then onto the windowsill. And she makes similar piecemeal moves in other areas to get on the back of the sofa. I think the less she does, the less she will be able to do, so I try to make sure she has to make some kind of effort. I realise tha may not apply to your cats though.
  • ScarletHandScarletHand Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    They do the Easy Pet stair in argos, 2 step one & a three step one! :)

I was ging to buy one for my blind cat but she used my legs to get up on the sofa, abit painfull at times but couldn't be helped :D
    Forum Member
    Have you tried supplementing with Glucosamine? It is great for arthritis. Pet brands include cosequin and cortaflex, or you could use an adjusted dose of human version. Feeding salmon oil is also good for old creaky bones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried supplementing with Glucosamine? It is great for arthritis. Pet brands include cosequin and cortaflex, or you could use an adjusted dose of human version. Feeding salmon oil is also good for old creaky bones.

No, haven't tried those. Are they pills? The cats are not very good with pills, even in food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Awww thanks! :) They can jump, just not too high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    I used a breezeblock in the past to help them get in through the catflap. Breezeblocks probaby wouldn't look attractive in the house:D Not sure those steps are very pretty either though!

Can you not just rearrange furniture so they can use the furniture itself (if you see what I mean). My 14 year old can't jump on the windowsill but I have an armchair by the window so she jumps on the seat, then the arm, then onto the windowsill. And she makes similar piecemeal moves in other areas to get on the back of the sofa. I think the less she does, the less she will be able to do, so I try to make sure she has to make some kind of effort. I realise tha may not apply to your cats though.

Thanks for the links to the Easy step at Pets at home and Argos wildpumpkin and Scarlethand, and your suggestions Lippincote. :)

I know what you mean about encouraging cats to jump etc. There is a dining chair near one window ledge which the 2 of them use, so I leave it there. Sometimes 1 of them blocks the route though. So need another chair ( or something smaller preferably ) at the other end as they don't like making way for each other. Sometimes 1 will jump from the chair and over the other cat, probably kicking them in the process. Then there's squeals and hisses! Cats eh? Won't just get out of the way!
    Forum Member
    I mix Cortaflex into a tiny pat of unsalted butter ( or a teaspoon of creme fraiche ) and they lap it up....oh, forgot to say it is a loose powder. Glucosamine normally comes in capsules and can be treated similarly once you open capsule up. My cats all love to lick salmon oil straight off a plate!