Options

The Amazing Race Season 25

Comments

• Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was easily the best episode so far for me. The challenges didn't look quick and easy and there was plenty of self-navigation. Even a place change at the end, because there was actually navigation involved rather than just a quick sprint to the pitstop.

The only change in the leg I would have had was having the clues better hidden at the castle. With the editing we were only shown the dentists going up the hill twice with the pony and not the others which I didn't get. And we weren't shown the scientists and the cyclists finding out where their pitstop was. We just saw one team in a church and the other apparently going back to the castle, I have to assume they both got the right directions quickly, but that wasn't shown.

The dentists are arrogant but many Americans don't mind that so some bandwagoners in the audience will back them while they think they can back it up and win. It does look like they are being setup to come unstuck at some point though. The cyclists are making out they are just having fun but they could also end up being camera hogs and going too far for me.
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Did they cancel roadblocks?
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Another good episode, thankfully the firefighters went, hopefully the dentists are next to go as I cant stand their arrogance.

Unlikely to happen because the dentists have the Save.

The firemen are hopeless, blaming others when they are the one who suggested foundry instead of found.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was an epic fail by the firefighters at the end. I like them but they should be eliminated as well given the injury
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I noticed that this week they were not starting from the Blenheim Palace pitstop, but from outside Oxford University Press in Oxford. I usually don't take much notice of where they start, but only noticed it this week because Phil said that they racers were starting from the Blenheim Palace when they clearly were not (I once lived in the Jericho area, so I know the building where they started and can also tell that the surfers were running in the wrong direction for the train station). Phil was obviously telling a fib, I'm wondering if this happens often with a starting place different from the pitstop?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am thinking they are doing this just for the convenience - as they started the race at midnight, surely Blenheim palace was already closed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »
    I am thinking they are doing this just for the convenience - as they started the race at midnight, surely Blenheim palace was already closed?
    Pretty sure it was, but they could start from outside the gate. The main problem would be with the transport - it would be difficult to get a taxi from Woodstock (the village outside Blenheim Palace) to Oxford at that time of night without a phone, and it takes 3 hours to walk to the train station. From outside Oxford University Press the walk to the station is only about 10 minutes.

The point though is that Phil said that the racers would be starting from the Blenheim Palace. It does show that what is said on the show is not entirely reliable.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this series the tasks have been quite difficult, what I don't like though is them having Phill involved in the race must be quite off putting t the contestants and where are the road blocks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been pointed out in the past that they don't always tell the truth in the US version, the editing has been pretty weird at times in recent seasons too.

The save pass might be the stupidest twist they have done, and I hope they don't do it again. It adds nothing to the gameplay that the express pass didn't do much better.

I don't know how the fireman hurt himself just running along, I assume he just didn't look where he was going or was just pushing himself too hard. They didn't look that fit for firefighters.
  • Options
    CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the best cast in a long while. The Dentists are unbearable, but great TV. Similarly the Air Hostesses - can't believe they are having more drama next week. Talk about OTT. :D

I don't mind the odd little fib about their starting location, if that's all it is. But it does make you wonder about the rest of what they say...
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cwej wrote: »
    I don't mind the odd little fib about their starting location, if that's all it is. But it does make you wonder about the rest of what they say...

There's of course the "close race to the mat" editing. There have been instances where editing made it look like teams were only seconds apart, while in reality the gap was much larger. Golden rule: If you don't see them in the same shot, it's not a close finish.

Teams that are forced into stereotypical roles by the production team. The ditzy blondes, the testosterone laden alpha males, the geeks, the pro sports wives. The über aggressive and competitive teams etc. For instance that miner's wife with a college degree who gave the impression she was some ignorant hill-billy from Hicksville Kentucky.
    I read somewhere that Marie (sigh) refused to come back for the All Star season because of this type of manipulation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just the final race to finish, if at the last challenge you don't see two teams in the same shot together most likely they aren't actually there at the same time, whatever some confessional might say.

One of the key things in the format is to make the last challenge difficult and the final race to the pitstop not quick and easy. The team that's last leaving the final challenge is virtually always the one eliminated. Yet these are fundamentals the producers often forget despite having had so much experience at this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    breppo wrote: »
    There's of course the "close race to the mat" editing. There have been instances where editing made it look like teams were only seconds apart, while in reality the gap was much larger.

They didn't used to do that in the early seasons. You know exactly where the racers were at the end of the first season - the second couple were only just getting off from the train when the winning team hit the mat. But that ending is still the most memorable one for me because the second couple were so convinced that they were winning, and they were so happy running to the finishing line, but for a moment looked crushed when they saw the winning team on the mat.

Then there was the closest foot race to the finish in the second season. Poor Will, for a moment you felt sorry for him even though he had been such an obnoxious prat.
    Teams that are forced into stereotypical roles by the production team. The ditzy blondes, the testosterone laden alpha males, the geeks, the pro sports wives. The über aggressive and competitive teams etc. For instance that miner's wife with a college degree who gave the impression she was some ignorant hill-billy from Hicksville Kentucky.
    I'm not sure having a degree would necessarily mean that they aren't ignorant (met plenty who are), but I take your point about stereotyping. It is after all television, and reality TV are scripted in the way they chose the contestants, and choosing racers who can provide dramatic moments is what made the show a success.

Some people would say that the Australian and Canadian version of TAR are now better, but I would argue that it is largely due to the racers chosen. The American version is so old now that most people are wise to what is done on the show, and it is harder to find people who can provide the dramatic moments (for example, Flo of season 3 whose behaviour was so jaw-droppingly awful on the show).
  • Options
    The Face of BoeThe Face of Boe Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of my favourite seasons in ages.. Another great leg tonight in Copenhagen and Malmo, differing flights, hard-challenges. drama at the mat.. Hope this isn't the last season.. Misti and Jim are awesome, some of his facial expressions crack me up.. And lol at the great dane trying to mount Phil ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And lol at the great dane trying to mount Phil ;)

No it wasn't, it was jumping up to lick him.
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    The American version is so old now that most people are wise to what is done on the show, and it is harder to find people who can provide the dramatic moments (for example, Flo of season 3 whose behaviour was so jaw-droppingly awful on the show).

There's about 320 million people in America, I'm sure they can find a better cast than they normally do now if they tried. They just got lazy, stopped taking risks and went middle of the road.

The latest episode was pretty good, the challenges were ok. There was a roadblock this time, so a proper detour/roadblock leg. Self navigation and they had to book their own planes. Again mistakes from racers heightened the drama, not reading the clue and losing something in the cake challenge and the restaurant. It felt like the leg lasted longer than the normal legs of just a few hours of the last few seasons.

I would have preferred the judging to be tougher on the cake challenge. Enabling racers to take it apart so they could transport it easier defeated the purpose of the task.

The only editing problem was with the cyclists at the restaurant. They were shown struggling and the next minute they suddenly had all 4 right.

The car advert was a bit annoying but the easy question on capitals seemed pointless, at least make it something a bit more time consuming.

The save pass of course is pointless, as I've mentioned before it's just the Super Idol of Survivor. No decisions can be made with it so it's pointless as far as race drama.
  • Options
    adwarneradwarner Posts: 884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was this last shown in the UK? I loved TAR but don't think we've seen a series over here since about 9 or 10? I watched a couple of series on torrent sites but that was a couple of years or more ago. Would love to get back into TAR especially if they've been visiting the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The geography question was kinda meaningless
    2. The Save should be taken back if the team used it for a NEL.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Cant believe they got to keep their save, he handed it to Phil so regardless if it was NEL they forfeited it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.

Jim looks more and more like a burnt toast. I am worried about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Some people would say that the Australian and Canadian version of TAR are now better, but I would argue that it is largely due to the racers chosen. The American version is so old now that most people are wise to what is done on the show, and it is harder to find people who can provide the dramatic moments (for example, Flo of season 3 whose behaviour was so jaw-droppingly awful on the show).

Indeed large part is down to the casting. I wish they would stop playing it safe and stop casting people that already have TV, showbizz, youtube or other camera experience.
    It's not immediately clear if you read the bio's on the official website, but most of this season's contestants have prior experience one way or another.
    It results in photogenic, camera aware but predictable, grey and dull contestants that need production tinkering to shape things up a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adwarner wrote: »
    When was this last shown in the UK? I loved TAR but don't think we've seen a series over here since about 9 or 10? I watched a couple of series on torrent sites but that was a couple of years or more ago. Would love to get back into TAR especially if they've been visiting the UK.

Most episodes of the more recent seasons are on youtube. At least for me in the Nteherlands. Don't no if they are available in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More face time for Kym and Alli (the cyclists). Hurrah!
    I love them, especially Kym, who is quickly becoming my favourite contestant of all time.
    Some people think they are hamming it up for the camera, but they really are pleasantly bonkers.
    Here's a video clip with the both of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wW0sBfeIjk

There's also links to the recaps they have done so far.
    Amazing, the stuff that's left on the cutting floor, like for instance that they were detained at the airport when they arrived in Britain and lost time because of that. Or that they helped the wrestlers find the finish on Shetland in return for which the wrestlers promised not to race them to the mat...

Or that the mother-daughter meltdown was even more serious than was shown on TV.
    Doctor Phil was much needed.

Clearly 42 minutes is not enough for an episode if the editing is so erratic...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure 42 minutes is rarely enough when they have a reasonable and proper length to the leg, and that's why other versions that have longer episodes enable us to know teams better and can escape the weird rushed editing you can get in this.
  • Options
    steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been a good season so far, another very good episode
    Tho i agree with the other poster when the save was handed over Phil should've kept it. Would've been an epic moment!

The ratings improved as well 1.4/6 rating 6.61 million viewers. In terms of rating the 2nd highest of the night
  • Options
    CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the fact that they are now allowed to come last in two episodes because of their save… :(

Otherwise a great episode again. Shelley and Nici are hilarious.