Options

Tardis at wedding reception

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
Why did none of the guests seem shocked or surprised when the Tardis materialised (or de-materialised for that matter) at the wedding reception in The Big Bang?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    gp400mk wrote: »
    Why did none of the guests seem shocked or surprised when the Tardis materialised (or de-materialised for that matter) at the wedding reception in The Big Bang?

Because it wasn't in the script?
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it wasn't in the script?

Yes, the script certainly had more than its fair share of flaws!
  • Options
    sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would have liked to see much more of a reaction from the guests. The answer is that they didn't actually see it materialise. This was certainly a flaw in the way the episode was directed....and I liked TBB!!!:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    sonic157 wrote: »
    I would have liked to see much more of a reaction from the guests. The answer is that they didn't actually see it materialise. This was certainly a flaw in the way the episode was directed....and I liked TBB!!!:eek:

...and you would think if they hadn't seen it first, they would have noticed the noise of the Tardis then looked??
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing there's still something not quite right about Leadworth nor its citizens. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Yes that did annoy me.

They should have at first looked shocked.. then confused as they'd be remembering the Doctor.. who of course did not exist in the new Universe until Amy brought him back, then suddenly he's fairly familiar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm guessing there's still something not quite right about Leadworth nor its citizens. ;)
    Aspartame wrote: »
    Yes that did annoy me.

They should have at first looked shocked.. then confused as they'd be remembering the Doctor.. who of course did not exist in the new Universe until Amy brought him back, then suddenly he's fairly familiar.

In fairness- the people of Leadworth were more than a bit strange... half Amy's family have disappeared, leaving her in the house by herself taking about her dead parents she can't remember- nobody thinks it strange,
    half the town might have disappeared for all we know and they didn't notice- they don't appear to ask many questions

Thinking back to TEH- that Post Office could have been closed for months if the owner disappeared during a break- the building would still be there but they wouldn't remember who ran it

Plus- they have a duck pond and no ducks-

a materialising Tardis is hardly going to make an impression on them if none of the above ever did :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    cos they were all pissed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they were all in a coma? Seems to be a lot of it about in Leadworth.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Party trick? Booze. I'd brush it off after those two thoughts.
  • Options
    ilovedrwho123ilovedrwho123 Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    sonic157 wrote: »

can i just say this could also be the beast below
  • Options
    aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their human minds will have seen it as a magic trick, especially as everyone who was at the stag party should now remember the Doctor & Lucy the diabetic.
  • Options
    brodybrody Posts: 217
    Forum Member

"humans have an amazing capacity for self-deception".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brody wrote: »
    "humans have an amazing capacity for self-deception".

Nowhere is that more true than Leadworth :D

Actually I thought their collective reaction to Amy's brilliant 'when I was a child I had an imaginary friend, only he wasn't imaginary' speech was hillarious

Lots of sighing, eye rolling, and 'not this again' & 'four psychiatrists and she still mental' sort of reactions :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    perception filter :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rejazz wrote: »
    cos they were all pissed.

This is the correct answer.

:)
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After everything the human race has witnessed in the last five years, a blue box with a "fade in / fade out" effect would have been nothing :p
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davetc wrote: »
    perception filter :)
    Somebody Else's Problem Field fits the bill better. To quote
    This is because it relies on people's natural predisposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did. They thought it must have been windy at first, then they got shocked.

@ A Above poster; None of them knew the Doctor.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I could hear people gasping in surprise as the TARDIS began making the room all windy. THe children all looked excited by the effects.

Sure, we didn't see guests jumping up, screaming and running around like headless chickens when something appears out of nowhere in the middle of the room - but I kinda think it would have killed the intended impact if they did!

Why can't the guests have just gone into shock when the TARDIS finally materialised? Not everyone is a screamer. I thought Amy's dad had the right reaction. He just remained rather quiet as this man claiming to be his daughter's imaginary friend came up and shook his hand. It was like "uh, wtf, have I gone mad? No, he just shook my hand. He's real. Uh, ok. What do I actually think's going on? Haven't a clue!"

I would expect most people would just stand there with their mouths agog. Onc ethe TARDIS was gone and the Doctor cam back and did his daft dance, I'd expect most people would rationalise it away as some clever trick Amy had set up for effect.

"Dunno how she did it, but it was impressive."

"Yeah, he must be like that David Copperfield fellow"

"Oh, I like him, he's good."

"He can dance better than this chap, too."

"Amy's a bit mad, isn't she?"

"The family don't like to talk about it. Just smile and wave as he comes by."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I would expect most people would just stand there with their mouths agog. Onc ethe TARDIS was gone and the Doctor cam back and did his daft dance, I'd expect most people would rationalise it away as some clever trick Amy had set up for effect.

"Dunno how she did it, but it was impressive."

"Yeah, he must be like that David Copperfield fellow"

"Oh, I like him, he's good."

"He can dance better than this chap, too."

"Amy's a bit mad, isn't she?"

"The family don't like to talk about it. Just smile and wave as he comes by."

Lol, so true! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the TARDIS landed at my wedding I'd be ecstatic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    since everything was back to normal - they were probably thinking -*** it's him again, and it's not even Christmas Day...........