New Yahoo Mail GUI: Love or Hate?

niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I logged on to Yahoo Mail this morning and it's been updated.

I was greeted by a pop-up showing me they had added themes (I tried a few, and they all made the text harder to read, so I decided against having one).

After using it for a few minutes, I realised "tabs" are gone. You used to be able to have your inbox, search results and multiple messages open in separate tabs so it was easy to switch between them. I don't see the removal of tabs as an improvement!

Are there any new positive features I've missed? Or is this a style over substance refresh that has made Yahoo Mail worse?

Comments

• mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hate! i want tabs back
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really really dislike it.

Why do they keep trying to change things? :(
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use it mainly for receiving mail these days. Pity about the tabs as I thought those were one of its better features. I'd been hoping that Hotmail and Gmail would eventually offer something similar!

I'll take a peek in a minute but surely it can't be as bad as the Yahoo! Groups revamp?
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    It continues to go downhill.
    The previous incarnation (ie. until yesterday) introduced some unwanted features, I particularly disliked that when I moved/deleted the message I was viewing after it had been scrolled up, the next message displayed scrolled so I had to scroll back down to view the start.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just noticed that when you reply to a message, the original message is no longer displayed (unless you click to view it). I'd say 9 times in 10, I'd like to see the message I'm replying to, and maybe 1 in 10 I can reply without re-reading the original message.

The default is the wrong way around for me.
  • martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's horrible! I saw it for the first time today. There was nothing wrong with the previous look, I use Yahoo a lot thankfully I subscribe to Yahoo Plus so I don't need to use the web interface very often.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still the same here, but then I only use the basic version, so maybe it will not change. not that I really use it these days anyway.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hate it. Why do they have to keep changing things? I hardly use my Yahoo account any more apart from junk mail. I used to use it for Yahoo Messenger to talk to one particular person but he died in the summer :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just go to basic yahoo, I presume when you are on the more advanced version they will allow you to go back to the basic version.

i was going to get rid of Yahoo when they got rid of classic mail, but i don't want any one to have the email address, so i have got a couple of news letters still going to that account and will log in every week at least just to keep it going.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the big deal, you log in, read and or write emails and job done. Nothing to get upset about. Bottom line is its free so if you don't like it move on.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone worked out how to open the Folders? I can click on Folders and see the list of Folders but have not yet been able to open any of them. Messages are still there, as you can see how many are in each folder.

I had to go back to Basic to see the contents of the folders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Has anyone worked out how to open the Folders? I can click on Folders and see the list of Folders but have not yet been able to open any of them. Messages are still there, as you can see how many are in each folder.

I had to go back to Basic to see the contents of the folders.

If I click on the folder icon and wait a couple of seconds, the list of folders appears.

I hope that works for you too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I click on the folder icon and wait a couple of seconds, the list of folders appears.

I hope that works for you too!

I get the list of folders but can't open any of them :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the list of folders but can't open any of them :(

To open the folders I have to go into Settings, Viewing email and switch to using Mail Version Basic. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To open the folders I have to go into Settings, Viewing email and switch to using Mail Version Basic. :confused:

I'm using Chrome. Which browser are you using?

I'd recommend Chrome or Firefox for most things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using Chrome. Which browser are you using?

I'd recommend Chrome or Firefox for most things.

I use Internet Explorer 8 (or it might be 9...).

I have found how to open the Folders. Use Settings; Viewing emails and un-tick Enable Conversations. Problem solved!
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just encountered this awful new Yahoo email look this morning and I thought I had a bug on my computer.

I signed out and signed in again, but oh no it was really happening.

What do I think? It's blinkin' awful.

For a start, it seems all emails to and from the same person are batched together. So you get the sent emails in the same folder as the inbox emails.

And when you've read a message, it takes its place in with all the other emails from that person, and you have to scroll up a new message until you find it.

A nightmare. And it looks horrific.

I cannot understand why they don't stick to Yahoo Mail Classic. The best ever email format.

And there is no option to go back to that either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Whats the big deal, you log in, read and or write emails and job done. Nothing to get upset about. Bottom line is its free so if you don't like it move on.

A person got feel comfortable using a UI, if you get too much bling and other crap it not only slows things down, it just makes using the product a pain.

The problem with Yahoo, Microsoft and even google to a lesser extent is that they are trying to put more and more integration into email and i don't understand why?
    As much as I am not fond of Google, their Gmail service is pretty basic and the only thing that is integrated is their chat service and that is only a small thing on the left hand side. No doubt at some point Google will try and integrate gmail into google+ for some reason.

conversations in email, why? Email is Email.

This is one thing I don't like about modern mobile phones the way they put SMS as conversations. it is not a conversation it is a text message.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just encountered this awful new Yahoo email look this morning and I thought I had a bug on my computer.

I signed out and signed in again, but oh no it was really happening.

What do I think? It's blinkin' awful.

For a start, it seems all emails to and from the same person are batched together. So you get the sent emails in the same folder as the inbox emails.

And when you've read a message, it takes its place in with all the other emails from that person, and you have to scroll up a new message until you find it.

A nightmare. And it looks horrific.

I cannot understand why they don't stick to Yahoo Mail Classic. The best ever email format.

And there is no option to go back to that either.

but i presume you can go to basic email?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Internet Explorer 8 (or it might be 9...).

I have found how to open the Folders. Use Settings; Viewing emails and un-tick Enable Conversations. Problem solved!

Thanks for that. I didn't know you could opt out of conversations!
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate it!

In fact I kind of like the style... I just wish they'd kept the tabs as they were very useful.

I couldn't find anywhere to feedback this to yahoo either. :o
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's total rubbish and freezes up my entire laptop whenever I try to open it. GRRR!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why they would remove tabs, they were so handy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope there is an upgrade to it soon. I can open emails but if I close them I see a blank instead of a list of messages in the Inbox. I have to refresh YM to get the list back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope there is an upgrade to it soon. I can open emails but if I close them I see a blank instead of a list of messages in the Inbox. I have to refresh YM to get the list back.

Same issue here today. I have to click on "Inbox" to get the list of messages back.

It was bad before, it's getting worse.