Robbie Williams: 'Jessie J's career won't last'

Comments

• BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Jessie J is awful in every way - a fake, manufactured 'popstar' of the worst kind. Robbie is just saying what most people in the industry think but don't want to say for fear of causing a fuss.

In what way is she fake or manufactured?

She's been writing songs for others writes her own stuff and got her recording contract though her youtube videos.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Savyannah wrote: »
    Who has written songs for herself and various other artists which have sold well? Writing chart toppers for various artists such as Miley cyrus, Chris Brown, Koda Kumi, Weird Al" Yankovic, Lisa Louis and not forgetting other artists and of course her own music.

like robbie, she co-writes her music. even the songs you claim she `wrote` for other people are co-written tracks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is so far superior in vocal talent, range and depth.

and yet, like robbie, her live vocals have been panned by critics. of course, vocal critiques are subjective, but its opinion, just like yours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She achieved more success than him in the US and worldwide.

she has sold a lot of singles, i will give you that much. when she starts selling albums in the same league as robbie worldwide, perhaps then you can better quantify that claim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    like robbie, she co-writes her music. even the songs you claim she `wrote` for other people are co-written tracks.

Come one, since he isn't with this, how is his name I think Chambers, guy together his songs aren't that strong. Jessie will, l I believe, never has this problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    Come one, since he isn't with this, how is his name I think Chambers, guy together his songs aren't that strong. Jessie will, l I believe, never has this problem.

well she wont have that problem while she continues to co-write with successful song-writing teams.:rolleyes: i agree, robbie worked best with guy chambers. however, his music still continues to sell well, even though that partnership broke up years ago.
  • wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Such arrogance.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such arrogance.
    Well he kinda has the sales numbers to back it up (not that I care much about Jesse or Robbie's opinion of her)
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/4638343/Robbie-Williams-dig-at-Jessie-J.html

I think it's a bit immature at him to take a dig at an artist who doesn't slag off anyone. He is also a complete hypocrite for criticizing The Voice for sob stories when he takes every chance he can get to be on X Factor.

Jessie has been in the spotlight for two years already, a total of eight behind the scenes, and had one of the biggest selling albums in the UK last year. She also has the only two singles she released in the US go platinum and double platinum, whereas Robbie has had no success here whatsoever aside form some guy on American Idol singing his song a few years ago. No one can tell the future, so who knows how long she will be around, but he shouldnt be slagging off others who have done nothing to him. It's a very interesting thing to do when he has had no negative opinion of her before, but now he has new music, he doesn't think she is good enough to last. The same was said about Bieber, Katy Perry, Rihanna, and especially Lady GaGa, and they are all still standing. Why can't Jessie?

I think Robbie is wrong here.

Ive seen Robbie in concert solo, Robbie in concert as part of Take That, & Jessie J in concert.

I have to say I was really impressed with her. She sang for 2 hrs straight, despite only having 1 albums worth of material.

She had great stage presence, the gig was lively & atmospheric and the mainly female audience at the show were going APESHIT for her.

Really I was much more impressed that I'd been expecting.

Robbie's called a wrong 'un here. She aint going anywhere..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    well she wont have that problem while she continues to co-write with successful song-writing teams.:rolleyes: i agree, robbie worked best with guy chambers. however, his music still continues to sell well, even though that partnership broke up years ago.

But then again, I see a handwriting in her music, like Adele they work together with different people, but with good people because they both know the songwriting market and they know who work their as*ses off to work with them and deliver the best they can.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any more slander like this and Robbie's own career will be finished. The best food he could then find with a reasonable Price Tag might then be a Domino pizza!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    But then again, I see a handwriting in her music, like Adele they work together with different people, but with good people because they both know the songwriting market and they know who work their as*ses off to work with them.

i also think a lot of robbie`s personality comes out in his lyrics and since robbie stopped working with guy he has worked with other songwriters too. i don't see the difference in terms of contribution, excluding adele from that comparison of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norman is right . .
    It's common sense really about every artist these days as their shelf life is limited because of the fast turn over of popstars these days & the publics fast consumption for something new, it's world that we live in, not forgetting the Internet . .
    JJ, Perry, Gaga . . Your teas will soon be out ,enjoy it while you can . .
    There's someone behind you, look out . .
    Oops too late, your career is over. ..
    Goodbye . .
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I don't even like Robbie Williams that much but its obvious that that was said in jest.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/4638343/Robbie-Williams-dig-at-Jessie-J.html

The same was said about Bieber, Katy Perry, Rihanna, and especially Lady GaGa, and they are all still standing. Why can't Jessie?

I agree with what you're getting at, but none of those artists have really been around that long anyway.

Also, with Lady Gaga, you're wrong there, because from pretty much January 2009 people were talking about how she's an icon and how she'll be around for 20 years easily. :rolleyes:

The others probably weren't expected to last for more than one album though, but still, 3 or 4 years isn't very long to "last". There's lots of artists during the 00's who "lasted" that long and then have disappeared now.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessie even knows herself how limited a shelf life she has. This is why she joined The Voice. That show is like a backup if people don't take to her next move, music-wise. She is now as much of a TV personality than anything else.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Jessie even knows herself how limited a shelf life she has. This is why she joined The Voice. That show is like a backup if people don't take to her next move, music-wise. She is now as much of a TV personality than anything else.

Well, I think the BBC approached certain people to be judges for that show. You can't just say "Hey, I need to lengthen my career, I'm going to demand that I be a judge on a new TV show".

However, I think it was a good move on her part that she accepted the role, and she was lucky to be offered it.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please she's achieved more in the start of her career than robbie has throughout his career!

Right...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please she's achieved more in the start of her career than robbie has throughout his career!

Lolz i`m no fan of either but the delusion in this post
  • MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what? Sia has been around for like 20 years and isn't as successful as Bieber, Perry, and the like. Chris Brown has been around 8 years. How are GaGa and the rest not good examples? Bieber came out at 14 and people gave him till he was 16. He is now 18 and breaking records because his fans are dedicated. I don't like his music at all, but I give credit where credit is due. People wouldn't say that about them if they werent young popstars.

I understand what your saying here, because I love Sia and wondered why she wasn't famous, its because she choices not to be. She rejected to appear in any music videos (Wild Ones etc) she just wants to make good music, be known!
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're both terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has a fantastic voice and the Do It Like A Dude & Who Are You are great songs. The rest of the album is just pants though, she needs to work on in the vein of DILAD & WAY but I think it's pretty obvious she's just going to release some crappy dance song remixed by a top producer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I cannot stand Williams. He is a NASTY piece of work. I'm sure Jessie J can amuse herself with Williams' true opus- Rudebox (where i believe millions of unsold copies lie as foundation for Chinese roads):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will see what lies ahead of her when the new album comes out. It looks promising. She is working with people from Cee-lo to Rodney Jerkins to Ammo. This should be interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, today in his STB interview, he said he hopes to collaborate with her. Seems he's changed his tune since November.