When do you think the Xbox One will go down in price?

2»

Comments

• HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    No but they could have run a mix of ads showing off it's full features, one of which is Xbox Fitness. Especially after Christmas and the New Year when all those celebrity fitness DVD's come out and gym memberships shoot straight up.

By running ads showing Xbox Fitness it may have help a few husbands convince their wife's that it's worth the money "Look love, I can play games and you can get fit."

But clearly Microsoft knew this was a bad idea or otherwise they would have done it. They've already lost some of their hardcore crowd and they would risk losing more by using ad space on the Xbox fitness instead of actual games. The last thing they want is losing more of their core audience to their main competitor. Sure they may have got some casuals on board but it would have been rare seeing as a lot have a fitness console already (over 20 million) and it wouldn't have been good long term as Nintendo are finding out.

Sometimes it's not as black and white thinking if only they would have promoted the fitness they could have sold more! It doesn't work out like that as I've mentioned above. If anything it may have sold less.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current promo in the US where you get $100 off an Xbox One if you ditch your PS3 or Xbox 360 is already a stealth price drop, isn't it?
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    The current promo in the US where you get $100 off an Xbox One if you ditch your PS3 or Xbox 360 is already a stealth price drop, isn't it?

Clearly Microsoft are the 'Geniuses' here. Forget my suggestion to try pushing Xbox fitness after Christmas, just tell people to ditch their ps3s instead!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Clearly Microsoft are the 'Geniuses' here. Forget my suggestion to try pushing Xbox fitness after Christmas, just tell people to ditch their ps3s instead!

Yep. Not their finest moment. Seems to have backfired a bit as well. They're trying to level the price difference, but just seem to be drawing attention to it.

The fitness thing is not only a differentiator between Xbox One and PS4, it's also a valid use of Kinect. You're right, they should have pushed it more.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    But clearly Microsoft knew this was a bad idea or otherwise they would have done it. They've already lost some of their hardcore crowd and they would risk losing more by using ad space on the Xbox fitness instead of actual games. The last thing they want is losing more of their core audience to their main competitor. Sure they may have got some casuals on board but it would have been rare seeing as a lot have a fitness console already (over 20 million) and it wouldn't have been good long term as Nintendo are finding out.

Sometimes it's not as black and white thinking if only they would have promoted the fitness they could have sold more! It doesn't work out like that as I've mentioned above. If anything it may have sold less.

Why can't they do both? Show them it's for the hardcore gamer still but can do a lot more such as Xbox Fitness.

MS really (in my view) need to push what makes the console different compare to the PS4 to show people it's worth the extra cost. While at the same time destroying this myth that the console hasn't been designed with gamers in mind.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Not their finest moment. Seems to have backfired a bit as well. They're trying to level the price difference, but just seem to be drawing attention to it.

The fitness thing is not only a differentiator between Xbox One and PS4, it's also a valid use of Kinect. You're right, they should have pushed it more.

Is not a differentaiator though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is not a differentaiator though.

Does PS4 have a fitness app? And a peripheral to monitor its effectiveness?
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I would have to say, that a Kinect-less 1tb Xbox One would be REALLY hard to pass up for me. The only thing that would put me off is the price of digital titles on Xbox marketplace.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Trouble is we have seen nothing yet that justifies Kinect as a mandatory peripheral.
    It's still early days. I hope Microsoft keep their nerve and retain the main feature that differentiates them from the competition. Apart from anything else, they need it to muddy the waters. Without it, on a straight comparison with PS4, they lose pretty unambiguously, so they'd need to be significantly cheaper than PS4.

If as next Christmas nears there's still no software for it, then they might drop it then, but I'd expect them to defer the decision as long as they can.
    jokerz wrote: »
    Perhaps they did launch too early in a panic to beat Sony and this discless console was their original intention?
    There were reports they were still seriously considering discless even after E3. See, for example Total XBox. Their DRM stuff makes more sense in a discless system. I wouldn't be surprised if they did do a discless box now, and also included all the DRM features that had to drop after E3. Then people would have a clear choice as to how they wanted licencing, reselling used games etc to work for them. People who prefer the old ways, and/or don't have the bandwidth, will still be able to buy the current box.

If so, it'll be interesting to see how many go for it. I suspect significant numbers will.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    It's still early days. I hope Microsoft keep their nerve and retain the main feature that differentiates them from the competition. Apart from anything else, they need it to muddy the waters. Without it, on a straight comparison with PS4, they lose pretty unambiguously, so they'd need to be significantly cheaper than PS4.

If as next Christmas nears there's still no software for it, then they might drop it then, but I'd expect them to defer the decision as long as they can.

Microsoft have been working with this idea now for over 4 years yet they seem to have very few ideas of how to really make it work as a gaming device. People are complaining about the cost it adds to the system because they see little to no value in the device. MS need to hurry the f*** up and get some software in the public eye to really sell the idea of Kinect.

Controlling your console with voice and gestures along with the Fitness software is all a nice addition but its not really anything that justifies Kinect as part of the system. ATM its something I would guess many Xbox 1 users would have sacrificed to pay less for the system in the first place.

It looks like MS are keep Kinect bundled because they are stubborn not because they have a grand plan ATM. Hopefully once the big shows like E3 begin this year they will actually deliver something because if they haven't shown anything compelling by the end of the summer it they really should just drop it before Christmas.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    I would have to say, that a Kinect-less 1tb Xbox One would be REALLY hard to pass up for me. The only thing that would put me off is the price of digital titles on Xbox marketplace.

I won't be getting another X1 even if it dropped below £200 ... I'm happy with my PS4 & WiiU! ... Granted I'll miss the inevitable Alan Wake sequels but so be it! ... I bought all 3 consoles last gen & 2 of em done nowt but collect dust! :blush:
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan wake is on PC. Just like titan fall.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan wake is on PC. Just like titan fall.

I don't think my laptop would run it tbh! :blush:

(I only use it for work related tasks / DLNA streaming!) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Microsoft have been working with this idea now for over 4 years yet they seem to have very few ideas of how to really make it work as a gaming device.
    The new hardware really hasn't been around that long. This is an area where the idea isn't enough; the implementation matters. Microsoft see XBox as strategic, as a way of getting their software into the living room, and Kinect is a key part of that. This isn't just about gaming. Even if in two years Kinect still has no real value for games, Microsoft will be loath to give it up.

They might have to, and sooner than 2 years, but they'll hate doing it. And not because they are stubborn, but because they do have a grand vision that involves a consistent UI experience across PC, laptop, tablet, phone and console, whether with mouse and keyboard, touch screen, or voice and gesture. It's not a games-oriented vision. Games are the Trojan horse.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might have to, and sooner than 2 years, but they'll hate doing it. And not because they are stubborn, but because they do have a grand vision that involves a consistent UI experience across PC, laptop, tablet, phone and console, whether with mouse and keyboard, touch screen, or voice and gesture. It's not a games-oriented vision. Games are the Trojan horse.

That was kind of their idea with Windows 8 and the Metro interface. Which they are now dropping in favour of windows 9!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ They aren't dropping it. They are rumoured to be not pushing it as hard. Things like being able to run Metro apps in a window on the desktop, will mean we see Metro apps more often, not less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    That was kind of their idea with Windows 8 and the Metro interface. Which they are now dropping in favour of windows 9!
    ^^ They aren't dropping it. They are rumoured to be not pushing it as hard. Things like being able to run Metro apps in a window on the desktop, will mean we see Metro apps more often, not less.

Yup. I think they trying to go along the approach of standard desktop we all love on Windows 9, but can run Metro apps. While the Metro interface is still there for tablets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only way I can see MS cutting the price is if they decide to cut out the kinect and release a gaming only machine which I can't seeing happening anytime soon.
    Forum Member
    I think the rumour of the bluray drive-less Xbox One just goes to show that MS are not ditching Kinect soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Only way I can see MS cutting the price is if they decide to cut out the kinect and release a gaming only machine which I can't seeing happening anytime soon.

Gaming only machine? How does that work?

I'm sure I read MS are making a small profit on each console sold already. So there is room to reduce the price, especially as they bring the manufacturing costs down. So a price drop for Christmas while still including Kinect is entire possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I mean is no kinect voice control and xbox live steaming just a gaming machine. Surely MS will at some point release a stripped down cheaper to make version which doesn't include the other extras. But it won't be for a good while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    What I mean is no kinect voice control and xbox live steaming just a gaming machine. Surely MS will at some point release a stripped down cheaper to make version which doesn't include the other extras. But it won't be for a good while.

The only "extra" is Kinect, everything else is software based. Would seem silly in my view to remove the non-gaming features which set it apart from the PS4, as it doesn't cost MS anything extra to include them since there part of the current build already. Nor do they take anything away from the console in terms of it's gaming ability (asides from the obvious system resources some may require, but you don't want to end up with two different console specs).
    Forum Member
    I guess a drive-less XB1 was perhaps the way MS would get people to using their DRM in games..