Dates in the episodes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
Sorry if its been mentioned before but I notice each of the episodes has a date metioned, Last night was 1974, Submarine was '84 first episode was '81 .... All years when there was a regeneration...I think, possible link up to the anniversary episode perhaps ?

Comments

• alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Well spotted :)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gazboro wrote: »
    Sorry if its been mentioned before but I notice each of the episodes has a date metioned, Last night was 1974, Submarine was '84 first episode was '81 .... All years when there was a regeneration...I think, possible link up to the anniversary episode perhaps ?

Cold War (the Submarine one) was set in 1983 not 84.
  • delroy14delroy14 Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    i had started to wonder about this tho cos why 1974 as the story had no date dependancies as in it could have been set anywhen(new word just invented it for dr who fans lol)
  • Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The odd thing is that while Duggie says "November 25th 1974" in the opening scene, the CC subtitle reads "November 25th 1972."

Now... it's an odd SNAFU to make. The numbers aren't next to each other, and usually things like this happen because the subtitlers see a different version of the script. So where did "1972" come from? And what happened that year, Who-wise?

Gary
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Rings of Akhenaten had the year 2005 in it, another year of a regeneration
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lot's of stuff going on here that relates to years when we've had a regeneration, multi-Doctor story or end/start of an era...
    • Victorian Clara's birthday is November 23rd (Doctor Who day) and she was born in 1866,The first regeneration story The Tenth Panet was broadcast in 1966.
    • 1974 was the year Planet Of The Spiders, the 3-4 regeneration story broadcast, which was partly set on Metebelis 3 where the blue crystal in Hide was from.
    • We saw The Doctor in 1981 in TBOSJ, which is the year Logopolis gave us the 4-5 regeneration and The Doctor meeting himself in the form of The Watcher.
    • The Cold War is set in 1983, the year of The Five Doctors 20th anniversary story.
    • Victorian Clara was 26 ... tenuous one here ... it's 26 years since the 6-7 regeneration in Time And The Rani
    • Companion Clara was born in 1989, the year the original series was cancelled.
    • Clara's Mother died in March 2005, the very month the new series began, and the year we first saw both the 9th and 10th Doctors.
    • In The Bells Of St John we see The Doctor in the year 1207 in the monastry. 2007 was when we got the return of the 5th Doctor in Time Crash

... I'm sure there must be more.

I'd look out for...

63 = An Uneartly Child
    69 = The War Games
    70 = Spearhead From Space
    73 = The Three Doctors
    84 = The Caves Of Androzani
    85 = The Two Doctors
    96 = TV Movie
    10 = The Eleventh Hour

Oh and as Vastra, Jenny and Strax are returning in The Crimson Horror and we last saw them in the winter of 1892 in The Snowmen, Then I suspect that it may be 1893 when we see them again ..... 1993 was of course the 30th anniversay year when we got the last meeting of classic Doctors in Dimensions In Time
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the tv movie reference be 1996 or 1999?.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy was born in 1989, and we re-met her in 1996 (The Big Bang). Then the Doctor met her again in 2010 (the year Moffat took over).

1999 would be another date to look out for (Curse Of Fatal Death).
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy was born in 1989, and we re-met her in 1996 (The Big Bang). Then the Doctor met her again in 2010 (the year Moffat took over).

1999 would be another date to look out for (Curse Of Fatal Death).

It was also the year the eight fought the master in the movie....