Options

Great British Bake Off Series 3

Comments

• Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I'm watching this on catch-up right now (Holby followed by GBBO is my Tuesday routine) and I must say I'm rather enjoying James in his shorts and T shirt. If it's quite hot, I think it might be an idea for him and John to take their tops off. Just sayin...

I wish you'd watch live with me so that we can both make such suggestions in tandem ... :p

John's in shorts next week too ;)
  • Options
    Patsey10Patsey10 Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I have liked James from the start-I feel 'maternal' towards him! I also think it's great that a young man enjoys baking so much. Thought his derelict barn was inspired. John is fun to watch too, but I'm not sure he has got what it takes to win it. I do hope James can pull it off!
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but I think the programme makers have found themselves in a tricky situation with an obvious winner (Brendan) emerging after only a few weeks in. I think they've done their best to convince the audience that the title could be anyone's but to me it seems like Brendan has had it the bag for a long time. He's just too consistent, possibly the most consistent contestant ever and is a human baking machine.

Was very sad to see Cathryn go tonight, she was my favourite right from the start this series and I'd love to have a squeeze of her muffins.:o
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Whoopee! Page 100!

Snowballs and caramel wafers next week please (i've been drooling over the Tunnocks web page)
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I wish you'd watch live with me so that we can both make such suggestions in tandem ... :p

John's in shorts next week too ;)

Sorry - I'm always on a one-hour delay with this show! I did think I might be in for an eye-candy treat as I spied James in his shorts during the 'next week' preview at the end of last week's episode... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - I'm always on a one-hour delay with this show! I did think I might be in for an eye-candy treat as I spied James in his shorts during the 'next week' preview at the end of last week's episode... :p

I can tell you prefer James, but John's spoken for :(
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know that it's in the bag for Brendan. His baking is rarely commended for its flavour, and the 'traditional' (read: 'from a recipe with no personal touches') nature doesn't seem to excite Paul or Mary.

Think James is a better bet. He's coming up with his own ideas, and is often commended for his flavours and novel approach.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I can tell you prefer James, but John's spoken for :(

I know.... I think James is too.... :mad:

All I want is for one/both of them (preferably James) to make me nice food. And other stuff that's not suitable for discussion on a public forum. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know.... I think James is too.... :mad:

All I want is for one/both of them (preferably James) to make me nice food. And other stuff that's not suitable for discussion on a public forum. :D

I want to wash all of John's sticky bowls, tidy up for him and make a cup of tea :o

... as for the other stuff ... feel free to send me a private message :eek: ;)
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patsey10 wrote: »
    I have liked James from the start-I feel 'maternal' towards him! I also think it's great that a young man enjoys baking so much. Thought his derelict barn was inspired. John is fun to watch too, but I'm not sure he has got what it takes to win it. I do hope James can pull it off!

I think John has been very lucky on a number of occasions, he's fluked his way this far and feel he may be out next week. Well unless he is a master French pastry chef. :)
  • Options
    tknoxxtknoxx Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I was really disappointed that Cathryn went out.
    I want John to go all the way - but I'm worried after the preview for next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong but I think the programme makers have found themselves in a tricky situation with an obvious winner (Brendan) emerging after only a few weeks in. I think they've done their best to convince the audience that the title could be anyone's but to me it seems like Brendan has had it the bag for a long time. He's just too consistent, possibly the most consistent contestant ever and is a human baking machine.

Afraid I would tend to agree with the below. That's both judges & contestants (and i think himself) commenting on how old fashioned his stuff is (though i'm sure he'd call it superior knowledge & experience over everyone else :mad: ). I just don't see inventiveness or willingness to try new things. I appreciate he has knowledge and it may be down to editing but he comes across as very smug and as if he thinks he knows it all anyway. As for flipping dusting a cake baked in a mould with icing sugar as if you've flipping handcrafted it.. :mad:)

saralund wrote: »
    Don't know that it's in the bag for Brendan. His baking is rarely commended for its flavour, and the 'traditional' (read: 'from a recipe with no personal touches') nature doesn't seem to excite Paul or Mary.

Think James is a better bet. He's coming up with his own ideas, and is often commended for his flavours and novel approach.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »

From the start I thought James was the potential winner. I now think it's between him and Danny (who would have the best 'story').

Much as I love GBBO, I think it's wise to remember it's probably edited in such a way as to create a great 'story' for the winner. Brendan has been consistently brilliant, whereas Danny has seemingly come from nowhere to be a contender. Likewise, James had a few shaky weeks in the middle of the series, but seems to be on the up again.

I'd be very happy with James or Danny as the winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »

And if you think that's weird, you should see me eat a meal...I save the best til last haha veg then meat then carbs.

I eat my meal exactly the opposite way lol carbs-meat-veg (or else a mish-mash of all) but I still consider it saving the best to last.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tknoxx wrote: »
    I eat my meal exactly the opposite way lol carbs-meat-veg (or else a mish-mash of all) but I still consider it saving the best to last.

I'm veg, meat and then starchy carbs if I'm still hungry! :)
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really sad to see Cathryn go. Personality-wise she was my favourite.

I wouldn't call Brendan as the winner just yet. In previous series, the most consistent, proficient baker hasn't won. Jo had some disaster weeks (like James :o) in series two but aced the final week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hate that I keep having to watch catch-up :( My Aunt seems to decide every week that 8:00 is the perfect time to visit or phone me - 3rd week in a row! :(

So here goes: *Big breath*

tarotangel wrote: »
    I've never seen a gingerbread house before in real life. Anyone else or have I had sheltered life?

I got a gingerbread house for my 22nd birthday there last december! (it looked suspiciously like Brendan's birdhouse but with gummies on the roof which was not cereal- although I freaking love cereal! lol! ) It was absolutely lovely. I did feel very guilty though as they cost a fortune and it's not as easy to share as a cake!!!

I can't believe wee James is only 21! Makes me feel old.
    Other shock for me this week was John mentioning his partner Paul - did he keep that secret or did I miss something along the line?
    John has a boyfriend :(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry:
    I was more plotting on how I could steal him with my Irish charm ;) :P
    I love gingerbread, and especially German Lebkuchen! Very excited about this challenge.

I feel guilty for still not liking Brendan much. I do respect his knowledge and ability immensely, though.
    I LOVE Lebkuchen! As Cathryn would say 'it is scrummy!'
    Oh Mary Berry, Brendan's shredded wheat roof is adorable
    Totally agree - I'm wondering what she expected???

And now breathe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really sad to see Cathryn go. Personality-wise she was my favourite.

I wouldn't call Brendan as the winner just yet. In previous series, the most consistent, proficient baker hasn't won. Jo had some disaster weeks (like James :o) in series two but aced the final week.

This is the first series I have seen (sadly - anyone know have they made a DVD edition?), but my one criticism is that they seem to judge largely based on the one weeks performance, and indeed on the final two bakes - technical and showstopper.

I just feel like this meant some contestants went out too early - Victoria maybe whilst others held on for longer (Stuart).

I hope that the best baker throughout wins. However I must admit I would be happy with whoever wins as long as it's not Brendan - who is lovely but a bit uninspired.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved how Mary looked like she was about to punch Cathryn when she did her apology for only making 46 crispbreads.

My favourite part of tonight's episode. :D
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tknoxx wrote: »
    This is the first series I have seen (sadly - anyone know have they made a DVD edition?), but my one criticism is that they seem to judge largely based on the one weeks performance, and indeed on the final two bakes - technical and showstopper.

I just feel like this meant some contestants went out too early - Victoria maybe whilst others held on for longer (Stuart).

I hope that the best baker throughout wins. However I must admit I would be happy with whoever wins as long as it's not Brendan - who is lovely but a bit uninspired.

Victoria leaving was quite a shock. She'd had a great couple of weeks. Someone Manisha-esque leaving would make more sense. Going by Victoria's first few bakes, I had her down as a potential winner.

I've watched all three series (and love it - such good telly) the soulless technical baker hasn't won, so far. Series two was excellent, particularly the quarter-final onwards.

Judging-wise I agree perhaps a little too much weight is placed on the current week's performance, however, Cathryn had been more consistent than John and James throughout but was the right person to leave.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I'm watching this on catch-up right now (Holby followed by GBBO is my Tuesday routine) and I must say I'm rather enjoying James in his shorts and T shirt. If it's quite hot, I think it might be an idea for him and John to take their tops off. Just sayin...

I'd have been quite happy for Cathryn to bake topless as well(same goes for Holly last series), but not sure about Brendan. Just for the sake of balance and equality, nothing else:)
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw was lovely to see the wave of affection for Cathryn as she left. I still like James :)
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love GBBO, it's one of only two shows on TV atm that I sit and watch without flickling to another channel, look at my phone etc.

I think all 4 of the remaining contestants have a good chance of winning- Brendan has been consistently good but perhaps lacks inspiration, James and John have showed some good imagination and skill (but have also struggled at times), and Danny seemed to start off a bit slow but has really picked up the pace to be a contender.
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleased to see my two picks from the start are still in.

Is it me, or did it seem more tense tonight in the buildup to who was going?

I think I'm getting far too attached....I'm sure I wasn't like this with the first two series (I'm going to have to rewatch them at some point!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I was really sad to see Cathryn go. She was so unlucky. I will really miss her dry wit.
    Now I am beginning to get annoyed with Brendan and was glad when Jamie won best baker for his gingerbread barn.
    I know Brendan is very clever and organised but he even says himself that he has bags more experience than the others.
This discussion has been closed.