Being questioned by cinema staff about film choice...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    All I get is "Did you find everything you want?"

All i get is

"Sir..... can you please leave the store" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    Perhaps they asked out of mild surprise that two teens were watching a kiddies film instead of The Dark Knight Rises? Why are you mad about it?

I'm not really mad about it, I was just surprised as to why they asked.
    Gort wrote: »
    Your next line should have been: "Can we have two teens for Ice Age 3D, please." Repeat until you get said tickets.

When they asked "Are you sure you don't want to see Batman" I was so tempted to yell:
    "Look, if I was sure I wanted to see Batman, why would I be buying tickets to Ice Age?" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really bad how some people overstep the mark by such length and don't even realise it. Very irritating people.

Seriously? You think that is overstepping the mark?

hahaha
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »

hahaha

My thoughts too. It's no big deal, just making conversation.

I'd hate it myself because I'm an unsociable cow but then, I wouldn't go to a cinema anyway.
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, because I am now regulary sending cineworld emails about why their film choices are so bad...Their obsession with showing 3D films is driving me nuts....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    cheeks wrote: »
    Funny, because I am now regulary sending cineworld emails about why their film choices are so bad...Their obsession with showing 3D films is driving me nuts....
    Why are there film choices bad? And given the mark up on 3D (and the cost of the equipment) would you not expect them to push it?
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are there film choices bad? And given the mark up on 3D (and the cost of the equipment) would you not expect them to push it?

3D is awful, it is promoted heavily because it's a money making tool, not an enhancement of the cinematic experience....:)

If it improved films I wouldn't have a problem with it but it doesn't...:)
    Forum Member
    cheeks wrote: »
    3D is awful, it is promoted heavily because it's a money making tool, not an enhancement of the cinematic experience....:)

If it improved films I wouldn't have a problem with it but it doesn't...:)

So you're complaint is that a business is trying to make money, not spread peace and joy? You answered why their pushing it in your own response. It is a gimmick, but you can hardly blame the cinemas since people are apparently willing to pay for it.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember years ago, my Mum's boyfriend knew the manager of a cinema and he used to let us in for free when we used to go (we never used to take the mick and go every week it was on sparing occasions would go). Anyway, I had already seen Home Alone 2, Lost in New York and therefore wanted to see Death Becomes Her. I said to the the man doing the tickets 'Death Becomes Her' and put me in to see Home Alone 2 again. He said to me you'll be alright seeing that. Being young, I was really annoyed.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me once, and I was just curious to know if it's happened to any of you.

On Dark Knight Rises opening day, me and a mate decided to go to the cinema - because I hadn't seen The Dark Knight, we decided to see Ice Age, and this happened:
    Me: "Hi, can we have 2 teens for Ice Age 3D please"
    Staff: "Sure-hang on, why aren't you seeing Batman?"
    Me: "I haven't seen Dark Knight"
    Staff: "Are you sure you don't want to see Batman?"
    Me: ":mad: Yes."
    It happened twice - the second time was when we had our tickets ripped.

I went to the preview screening of The Lorax the day after - same cinema, roughly same time - and they didn't seem to care.

I'd have just said: "cause I'd rather rather watch this". It'll be orders from the top, likely.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »

hahaha

I can't help how I feel. I'd find it embarrassing if faced with the kind of dialogue described in the OP's post - it feels like a form of shaming because the person isn't conforming just because they're doing something differently from the masses.

I truly don't think I'm overreacted when I believe that staff like that are overstepping boundaries.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help how I feel. I'd find it embarrassing if faced with the kind of dialogue described in the OP's post - it feels like a form of shaming because the person isn't conforming just because they're doing something differently from the masses.

I truly don't think I'm overreacted when I believe that staff like that are overstepping boundaries.

This thread is good because it has uncovered corruption and misconduct of cinema staff.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't people be more respectful of how others feel? It's not like we're trying to be awkward or hostile...some people have their reasons for finding this kind of thing off-putting and I don't think the mocking is deserved.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Retail staff are completely zombiefied by corporate dimwits, they won't be just making conversation.

Who knows what retail philosophy staff are being force to parrot.

I personally hate chummyness, it's like being psychologically attacked by Professor Corporate.
    Forum Member
    Why can't people be more respectful of how others feel? It's not like we're trying to be awkward or hostile...some people have their reasons for finding this kind of thing off-putting and I don't think the mocking is deserved.

I don't think anyone was mocking you, but if any of my comments have made you feel that way I apologize.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone was mocking you, but if any of my comments have made you feel that way I apologize.

It's mainly the person who actually went "hahaha" that set me off. I just think it's insensitive - who knows why those of us who don't like it feel that way.

But thanks for the thought. :)
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never had an experience of the OP but I do get the cinema staff chatting away to me about films I am about to see. If they had asked me the question such as described in post one I would probably have taken it as conversational and not given it a second thought.

I like the staff to be friendly - I am quite unsociable personally but it is still nice of them to make an effort and most occasions it leaves me with a smile so it is all good.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope when I go to see the Hobbit no one makes a comment about me being too old for such a film, and offers a nice gentle comedy instead :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call it questioning, I would call it friendly conversation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like the staff to be friendly - I am quite unsociable personally but it is still nice of them to make an effort and most occasions it leaves me with a smile so it is all good.

Me too but you do get staff who become too personal and cross the line from friendly to intrusive. I've had it happen to me a few times and it's so awkward and embarrassing.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope when I go to see the Hobbit no one makes a comment about me being too old for such a film, and offers a nice gentle comedy instead :eek:

I'm more concerned about them trying to push the 3D version on me instead. I think that depending on how I'm feeling on the day I will either launch into a rant about how it is nothing more than a pointless, money-making gimmick that has tried and failed with depressing regularity since the birth of cinema or I'll just say that I'm blind in one eye.

It'll be my first trip to the cinema in over four years; I'm not looking forward to it.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant believe anyone would get upset about an off the cuff chatty remark. Selling or checking tickets is probably pretty boring and if a quick friendly chat by the staff alleviates the tedium of the job what's the problem?

Perhaps staying in might be better for some people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I cant believe anyone would get upset about an off the cuff chatty remark. Selling or checking tickets is probably pretty boring and if a quick friendly chat by the staff alleviates the tedium of the job what's the problem?

Prehaps understanding that what you see is innocent chat CAN ALSO come across as intrusive for some people. As I've said several times, I like a bit of chit-chat. I don't think what the OP described is that at all, and I would be annoyed and embarrassed if someone questioned me like that just over a bloomin' film.

Some people in this thread and their total lack of willingness to even attempt to see where some of us are coming from is bewildering.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is starting feel like it would more appropriate to the Advice forum tbh.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »

The alternative would be people moaning because of the miserable staff who don't look up or say a word.