Google Press Event - 24/7/13 (5PM UK Time)

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Just flashed 4.3 to my Nexus 4.

Waiting on it booting up now :)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Just flashed 4.3 to my Nexus 4.

Waiting on it booting up now :)

Let us know of changes you notice :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    He said powered vis USB during the event which means a mobile phone charger or if you have a powered USB socket on your TV.

Google where fly to show it without the power cable connected as it would ruin the look although being at the back of the TV it doesn't bother me TBH but it does make it less plug and go when going to a mates house.

EDIT: The Verge shows pictures of the Micro USB power connector on the back http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/24/4553368/hands-on-googles-35-chromecast-a-streaming-tv-stick

ah, got it thanks...
    Forum Member
    Let us know of changes you notice :D

They have fixed the screen colours! First thing i noticed. White is proper white now.

Camera, when flipping over the whole UI doesnt rotate now, just the icons.

Scrolling feels smoother and effects i think while opening an app are slightly different.

Havent played much more so will keep looking. Away to relock the bootloader just now as i just flashed it from the system images from google.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    ah, got it thanks...

I guess you could use one of those mobile battery packs packs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightning-Sensation-Blackberry-connectors-customized/dp/B0063AAIRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374688625&sr=8-1&keywords=mobile+battery :D

Who knows how long it would last though.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google have already said $229 for the 16GB version in the event.

Which in todays exchange rate (Including VAT) would be about £180 but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a premium on top like we usually get to bring it to £189 or £199.

So is that with $229 excluding tax? Because prices in US are always without tax.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, I have one of those. Every serious #ingress player does ;)
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    They have fixed the screen colours! First thing i noticed. White is proper white now.

Camera, when flipping over the whole UI doesnt rotate now, just the icons.

Scrolling feels smoother and effects i think while opening an app are slightly different.

Havent played much more so will keep looking. Away to relock the bootloader just now as i just flashed it from the system images from google.

Must be a new touchscreen driver as well as its much more responsive to touches.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have preferred a full-on Android stick with the Chromecast capabilities added on.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    So is that with $229 excluding tax? Because prices in US are always without tax.

Yes..
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-orders are on now.

£200 from Currys.
    It could be more popular than the Nexus 10, that now looking more overpriced

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/asus-google-nexus-7-16-gb-21515695-pdt.html

£240 for the 32GB version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Yes..

As flagpole says, yes it costs $229 USD excluding tax which is around £180 GBP including tax.

Very rarely do we ever get a straight conversion like that though so I would expect it to be more expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Pre-orders are on now.

£200 from Currys.
    It could be more popular than the Nexus 10.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/asus-google-nexus-7-16-gb-21515695-pdt.html

Pretty much the price I expected... quite a far way away from the £159 of the original Nexus 7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want a new Nexus 7 when can I place my order on Play :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something has confused my maths

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23437476
    It says 323ppi versus 163ppi in the iPad Mini.

That is only a 200% increase yet it actually has 3 times as many pixels(2.89 times) and is 16:10, not as square and thus even less in area of the 4:3 bigger Mini.
    Would not that make it a good bit more than triple the PPI or where is my thinking going wrong?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something has confused my maths

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23437476
    It says 323ppi versus 163ppi in the iPad Mini.

That is only a 200% increase yet it actually has 3 times as many pixels(2.89 times) and is 16:10, not as square and thus even less in area of the 4:3 bigger Mini.
    Would not that make it a good bit more than triple the PPI or where is my thinking going wrong?

The iPad mini has a larger screen, about 8 inches compared to about 7 inches. I think that's whe you are getting confused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad mini has a larger screen, about 8 inches compared to about 7 inches. I think that's whe you are getting confused.

Nope, that would mean the PPI is even less than the 2.9 times.
    The Mini has 786432 pixels versus 2280000 pixels of the new 7.

PPI refers to density so unless I'm dense a squarer 8" gives even less density than that 2.9 times number of pixels squeezed into a more rectangular 7".
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PPI refers to density so unless I'm dense a squarer 8" gives even less density than that 2.9 times number of pixels squeezed into a more rectangular 7".

The iPad mini has a 30 square inch display

The nexus has a 22 square inch display

Take the total number of pixels, divide by the display size and take the square root of that to give you the PPI.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the Nexus7 2 will be available from the Google Play store from Tuesday, 30th July. So does that mean we, in the UK, can buy it from there?
    For storage, there's 16GB for the base model, $230, and 32GB for $270. Those prices are for the Wi-Fi only model, the 4G LTE model comes in 32GB only and costs $350.

What's the equivalent of those prices in the UK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think your confusion is what PPI actually is, if you calculate it by hand you will find you also reach these numbers.

PPI = (sqrt((pixel height)^2 + (pixel width)^2)) / screen size in inches
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you go onto that link it says the tablets won't be available until 13th September! That's ages away! :eek:
    Forum Member
    I think your confusion is what PPI actually is, if you calculate it by hand you will find you also reach these numbers.

PPI = (sqrt((pixel height)^2 + (pixel width)^2)) / screen size in inches

What?

The PPI is directly proportional to the size of the pixels?

And is a dimensionless number.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK it seems PPI refers to the root of the pixels.
    e.g. a square of 10,000 pixels is a 100 ppi

So by comparing a root it maybe looks closer when in fact it is not.

edit - so iPad Mini = 26569 pixels per square inch versus 104329 of the new Nexus 7
    = a 3.92 times increase in density.

So in fact the new Nexus 7 has a rounded 4 times the pixel density. Irrelevant though as the number of pixels is what matters/better compares and that is still at 3 times as many (2.9)

So they show the DPI/PPI and expect you to compare via squaring. PPI use now seems even more stupid than I always thought was.
    Forum Member
    OK it seems PPI refers to the root of the pixels.
    e.g. a square of 10,000 pixels is a 100 ppi

So by comparing a root it maybe looks closer when in fact it is not.

I find all this bizarre, it is pixels per inch.

An inch is a linear dimension. Did nobody ever look up the DPI of a printer?

It's not really the root of the pixels. It's of you lined up load of pixels in a row how many would you need to make a line an inch long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    It's not really the root of the pixels.

Nope,the square tells you how many are in that inch.
    The definition uses root but back tracking to compare uses the square. My mistake.

Still , the new Nexus 7 has 4 times the density and that more useful comparison, 3 times the number of pixels.