What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you? (Part 2)

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    That Joanna Lumley account is very interesting.

Whatever it was clearly didn't want her there.

I heard her do an interview about this very subject and it was even creepier than the article. I assume that something like a previous occupant is attached to its former home and doesn't/won't accept that it's dead and so won't move on (presumably because it finds it still exists after physical death therefore it thinks it must be alive in the physical sense). It then gets upset when it sees total strangers it doesn't know move into and change what it regards as still being its home.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    I heard her do an interview about this very subject and it was even creepier than the article. I assume that something like a previous occupant is attached to its former home and doesn't/won't accept that it's dead and so won't move on (presumably because it finds it still exists after physical death therefore it thinks it must be alive in the physical sense). It then gets upset when it sees total strangers it doesn't know move into and change what it regards as still being its home.

That appears to be the opposite of Anne Diamonds story, in which the lady very much wanted her to have the house.
    Forum Member
    That appears to be the opposite of Anne Diamonds story, in which the lady very much wanted her to have the house.

I guess that might just reflect the characters of the individuals concerned when they were in mortal form and the one that appeared to Anne Diamond presumably recognised that she and her mum were of good character and would take good care of the house as well as making it a family home again. Unfortunately, that experience just scared them away instead.
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    a ghostly nun - that's fascinating! Would there have been nuns at your church in the past? Is it catholic etc?

Yes it's a very old Roman Catholic Church,recently refurbed and utterly gloriously beautiful (a pleasure to work in tbh)
    It has a huge residence on site which houses a monastic order and is a very well attended church with confraternities,Novenas etc ,so there are services many nights besides the usual daily Masses.
    It has a really (trying to think of a word)
    'dramatic'(that'll do) history, locally anyway, and it isn't really surprising that it has lingering echoes of the past all things considered.
    Nuns and nurses from the nearby hosp use the church a lot and at one time there was a convent near by(since demolished).
    We also have a resident Brother who can be seen strolling the aisles and every one of us MMs has seen him more than once, mostly as the Brothers see us out and lock up. He can be seen in the limited overnight lighting through the glass in the tall doors. When mentioned to the Brothers they just change the subject and smile, so are fully aware but saying nothing. I suppose an old deceased Brother keeping watch on the church is not considered a big deal to them and we ladies are sort of used to him.. Maybe he is supervising our work ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As in real life, there are grouchy spirits and easy going ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That account reminds me of Joanna Lumley's experiences:

When Joanna Lumley first saw the beautiful 18th century Parsonage, she felt sure it was the home for her. But a series of supernatural events changed her mind after she and her husband moved in. The 58-year-old actress claims that during her three years at the house in Goodnestone, near Dover, she became convinced it was haunted after a series of extraordinary goings-on.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-318489/Joannas-Absolutely-haunted-house.html#ixzz2pBK8NKNZ

QUOTE]

poor Joanna Lumley - but fascinating!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    polli wrote: »
    Yes it's a very old Roman Catholic Church,recently refurbed and utterly gloriously beautiful (a pleasure to work in tbh)
    It has a huge residence on site which houses a monastic order and is a very well attended church with confraternities,Novenas etc ,so there are services many nights besides the usual daily Masses.
    It has a really (trying to think of a word)
    'dramatic'(that'll do) history, locally anyway, and it isn't really surprising that it has lingering echoes of the past all things considered.
    Nuns and nurses from the nearby hosp use the church a lot and at one time there was a convent near by(since demolished).
    We also have a resident Brother who can be seen strolling the aisles and every one of us MMs has seen him more than once, mostly as the Brothers see us out and lock up. He can be seen in the limited overnight lighting through the glass in the tall doors. When mentioned to the Brothers they just change the subject and smile, so are fully aware but saying nothing. I suppose an old deceased Brother keeping watch on the church is not considered a big deal to them and we ladies are sort of used to him.. Maybe he is supervising our work ;-)

Thanks for your reply. I suppose then the nun appearance is caused by the history of the place. The monk is very interesting too. I wonder if you've seen him with your physical eyes, or in your mind's eye, and if he looks like a normal human being, or somehow insubstantial or off/out of place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    It's great to see more accounts of the 'unexplained' on here and when I have recovered from this illness,I will attempt to come here and reply.

Lynne
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I suppose then the nun appearance is caused by the history of the place. The monk is very interesting too. I wonder if you've seen him with your physical eyes, or in your mind's eye, and if he looks like a normal human being, or somehow insubstantial or off/out of place.

He isn't a monk as such (as far as we girls know). These Brothers are dressed like priests for the most part,black cassocks ,although visiting brothers from overseas still wear the old habit as do a few of the older guys. Yes I know, old habits die hard ,lol. The one we see wears a black cassock and is very elderly with long white hair and is stooped over . Some say he uses a walking stick,but I think it is just his being stooped over that gives that impression .You get a surprise on seeing him,but a warmth too, so no big fear at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He isn't a monk as such (as far as we girls know). These Brothers are dressed like priests for the most part,black cassocks ,although visiting brothers from overseas still wear the old habit as do a few of the older guys. Yes I know, old habits die hard ,lol. The one we see wears a black cassock and is very elderly with long white hair and is stooped over . Some say he uses a walking stick,but I think it is just his being stooped over that gives that impression .You get a surprise on seeing him,but a warmth too, so no big fear at all.

He sounds lovely - is he misty, and do you see him as a strong impression which pops into your head, or with your physical eyes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He sounds lovely - is he misty, and do you see him as a strong impression which pops into your head, or with your physical eyes?

Never been misty to me dolls. He just looks like a living person would in limited lighting.An old guy meandering around rather aimlessly.I've seen his features(some of us can,some can't) and he looks pleasant and most def not nasty or even unhappy . Although come to think of it one of our girls doesn't see him at all really,but DOES see a mistiness. Maybe it depends on the person/frame of mind then.
    One of the girls wanted to take a phone pic of him through the glass doors but Brother M vetoed it and made us promise never to do that . Probably because there was an incident two years ago with a phone pic of the crib and the Brothers were NOT happy bunnies . They would hate the possible publicity and brouhaha over what is obviously very personal and harmless to their Community.I see his point .As far as I'm concerned the brothers know just who he is and simply regard him as a kind of caretaker I suppose.

There are old catacombs under the church which I've not visited . Really not sure I'd feel ok down there,but hubs has been as a child :o . He can't remember much about them though . They are open all during November (the month of the dead), so I think I might venture in,come Nov.Remind me closer to the time and hopefully I'll have overcome my trepidation .
    I want to do a report on the church anyway for a local site I visit, so I'm gonna be taking pictures of the refurbed church during daylight hours(allowable). I suppose I'll have to do the catacombs to make the report complete. :( Never thought of that before.
    Forum Member
    Never been misty to me dolls. He just looks like a living person would in limited lighting.An old guy meandering around rather aimlessly.I've seen his features(some of us can,some can't) and he looks pleasant and most def not nasty or even unhappy . Although come to think of it one of our girls doesn't see him at all really,but DOES see a mistiness. Maybe it depends on the person/frame of mind then.
    One of the girls wanted to take a phone pic of him through the glass doors but Brother M vetoed it and made us promise never to do that . Probably because there was an incident two years ago with a phone pic of the crib and the Brothers were NOT happy bunnies . They would hate the possible publicity and brouhaha over what is obviously very personal and harmless to their Community.I see his point .As far as I'm concerned the brothers know just who he is and simply regard him as a kind of caretaker I suppose.

There are old catacombs under the church which I've not visited . Really not sure I'd feel ok down there,but hubs has been as a child :o . He can't remember much about them though . They are open all during November (the month of the dead), so I think I might venture in,come Nov.Remind me closer to the time and hopefully I'll have overcome my trepidation .
    I want to do a report on the church anyway for a local site I visit, so I'm gonna be taking pictures of the refurbed church during daylight hours(allowable). I suppose I'll have to do the catacombs to make the report complete. :( Never thought of that before.

Sounds like a fascinating place, polli.

I have to admit I wasn't aware the UK still had an active community of monks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a fascinating place, polli.

I have to admit I wasn't aware the UK still had an active community of monks

If you are ever near Elgin in Scotland you should pop in to Pluscarden Abbey. A working monastery. It has its own fair share of past Monks wandering about, especially in the Chapel. If nothing else it is a very pleasant peaceful place to visit. It also boasts self catering accom.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On New Years Eve I went to a party and decided to try my hardest to see the entire night out. I've become such a light weight in recent years and just can't do late nights anymore:blush: I was drinking red bull and vodka to keep me awake and someone else warned me that they can't drink it because it makes them go "loopy" but as I drink both often, although not together, I thought nothing of it. As the night went on I also drank champagne on top of it (for a toast to the new year) but still felt fine, certainly not drunk, or so I thought anyway...

I finally got into bed at 4am, dropped off, but had a terrible nights sleep. I kept dreaming about plane crashes and dead bodies, and then woke up and could clearly hear the sound of young children giggling in my room. It scared the living shit out of me and I then spent most of the night hiding under the covers terrified.

I don't think it was anything paranormal and was just the drink and very strong caffeine in the red bull playing with my mind, but it's was absolutely bloody terrifying. No "VodBulls" for me in the future!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thanks for the feedback Polli. It does sound a fascinating place. No offence meant please, but I am surprised the religious at the church are so understanding about it, and so tolerant of you all having seen the ghostly nun and ghostly male religious. My parents are Roman Catholic, and as far back as being a child have blamed me for seeing ghosts, (as well as having paranormal dreams), saying that ghosts don't exist, but are actually demons in disguise, and strongly implying that I must have done something evil in order to have evoked their appearance, (from teens onwards, starting off with - "you're interested in that sort of thing, aren't you?", accompanied by hostile suspicious looks) - which never has borne any relation to my actions, for no ouja boards, no talking glasses, no written pacts with the devil, no magic spells, no vindictive feelings, (for I've never been vinctive anyway) - nothing along those lines has ever preceded me seeing ghosts - I just have seen them. I don't think most apparitions are evil, or demonic - I think they can be just a natural part of the universe with various explanations, including that they're lovely people who've died and who just happen to be visiting a place or earthbound. I have seen evil entities and I know the difference. It is great that the religious aren't giving you a hard time over seeing the ghosts and that you can talk to them about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Last story I'll share for 2013- I think somebody mentioned it before but it's so good I'll bring it across.

I heard a radio interview with Ann Diamond a year or two back in which she told the story of the time she went to buy a house with her mother. The first time she looked around the house, a charming old lady showed her round and told her that she was glad the house was going to a family again. Several weeks later, Ann went to view the house again (with her mother) and, to her surprise, the little old lady was there again. This time, however , she was left go look around alone as the lady disappeared out back.

When it came for them to leave, Ann tried and tried find the old lady but she was nowhere to be seen. Her mum claimed to stumble over a coffin on the way out, but this was put down to her over- reactive imagination.

Cut forward to Ann dropping the keys off at the estate agents and she was shocked (putting it mildly) to learn that the lady who'd let them in and spoken to them earlier that night had died several weeks before.

Needless to say, she didn't buy the house.

The radio interview in which she recounts this is still available and makes a great listen!

Aww that shouldn't have put her off buying, the wee lady wanted her to have the house afterall
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Don't know if this is creepy, more a Drop Dead Fred and its just came to me recently. When I was a child I had a recurring nightmare of a tyrant/bogeyman called Mr MacGregor. My daughter years later but about the same age used to have nightmares of a Mr McIntyre... ok not the same name but same description I just found it slightly creepy.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the feedback Polli. It does sound a fascinating place. No offence meant please, but I am surprised the religious at the church are so understanding about it, and so tolerant of you all having seen the ghostly nun and ghostly male religious. My parents are Roman Catholic, and as far back as being a child have blamed me for seeing ghosts, (as well as having paranormal dreams), saying that ghosts don't exist, but are actually demons in disguise, and strongly implying that I must have done something evil in order to have evoked their appearance, (from teens onwards, starting off with - "you're interested in that sort of thing, aren't you?", accompanied by hostile suspicious looks) - which never has borne any relation to my actions, for no ouja boards, no talking glasses, no written pacts with the devil, no magic spells, no vindictive feelings, (for I've never been vinctive anyway) - nothing along those lines has ever preceded me seeing ghosts - I just have seen them. I don't think most apparitions are evil, or demonic - I think they can be just a natural part of the universe with various explanations, including that they're lovely people who've died and who just happen to be visiting a place or earthbound. I have seen evil entities and I know the difference. It is great that the religious aren't giving you a hard time over seeing the ghosts and that you can talk to them about it.

I am a Catholic and have never come across that attitude before, if anyone says anything about seeing a ghost or anything they are told to pray for the person`s soul, also as the old saying goes `Worry about the living, not the dead as they will not harm you`.
    Forum Member
    As in real life, there are grouchy spirits and easy going ones.

Since my two experiences here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=70578791&postcount=32 as a reult of serious illness, I now have a greater perspective on things. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that less dense immortal form is the real existence and that this time here is just a temporary exploration of a dense physical realm. To paraphrase Wayne Dyer, we're ultimately spiritual beings having a human experience.

This hour long interview with Dutch cardiologist Pim Van Lommel here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glKccJ5YUcg might be of interest to readers of this thread.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a Lexmark, some do that, whether it's plugged in or not. Mine had been powered off for months when it started doing it's checks! :o Creeped me out the first time it happened to me and thought I'd acquired a second-hand, possessed printer! :)

Yes it is a Lexmark, phew thank gawd it's something they do. Thank you for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That used to be the old attitude though and my parents were like that,but things are different now and less black and white. For instance there has been a recent 'recruiting' and training of exorcists within the Catholic Church due to a more open mindedness on the subject of harmless spirits versus nasty ones.
    There is a video where the newly elected Pope Francis was meeting and greeting a line of people which included a boy/young man in a wheel chair. The priest accompanying the boy speaks quietly to the Pope and the Pope nods and then puts both hands on the boy. The boy has a really odd reaction and the pope persists *whatever* he is doing. Some claim it is a minor exorcism and it tends to look like it might be just that . Hang on, I'll find the clip
    here you go.

http://youtu.be/eJnYmGV6N1o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I am a Catholic and have never come across that attitude before, if anyone says anything about seeing a ghost or anything they are told to pray for the person`s soul, also as the old saying goes `Worry about the living, not the dead as they will not harm you`.
    So true.
    I think people used to confuse the sightings of people passed over with demons , when they are entirely different things.
    The dead might shock you but do no harm. But if you do get harm done to you during such an incident then the thing seen is another entity with more strength and ability than a simple echo of a dead person.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »

I have to say this has always been my experience too. :)
    Forum Member
    I have to say this has always been my experience too. :)

Same here!

In fact, the old lady who lived next door (and who's story I told in the early thread) was very Catholic and used to repeat the fact the "dead might shock us but they can't hurt us".
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ughh why did my curiosity get the best of me ??? Some of these posts are scaring me sh*****less :cry::cry::cry: