Doctor Who - S8E12 - Death in Heaven - 8th Nov '14 - BBC One (HD) @ 8:00pm

1373839404143»

Comments

• bluetardisbluetardis Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Was Osgood going to become a companion? Is that why Missy went out of her way to kill her?

The Doctor muttered something about "all of time and space" when he finished talking with Osgood and I thought I caught a smile from Osgood after he said that, as well as a reaction from Missy. Perhaps the Doctor was eyeing Osgood as companion material and this is why Missy decided to make a big deal out of killing her?

I think Osgood definitely thought that The Doctor had considered asking her especially when he said 'all of time and space...just something for your bucket list' - hence the smile and the need for the Asthma medication, whether that is what The Doctor thought is another matter, but I don't think that was why The Mistress killed her.

The reason behind Missy's plan was to create an army for The Doctor to use to conquer the Universe. She called it a 'present' and proceeded to give him the control bracelet. When they were on the plane Osgood mentioned to The Doctor that everyone was too busy looking down that no-one ever considered looking up at the clouds created by the exploding Cybermen. This is perhaps the reason behind her murder. Missy couldn't have The Doctor find out the true purpose of the clouds until she had completed her plans and therefore she had to remove Osgood.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Since he fell from a considerably lesser height when he was 4, and had to regenerate?
    I daresay after that he took care to learn new falling-and-surviving techniques. Possibly from the Venusians.
    From an exercise bike to the floor was enough to trigger it when he was 6, what a wimp!
    If he did learn new falling-and-surviving techniques, they were rubbish.
    :D
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Since he fell from a considerably lesser height when he was 4, and had to regenerate?

I daresay after that he took care to learn new falling-and-surviving techniques. Possibly from the Venusians.

That's stretching the limits of credibility. Just a tiny bit? :)

Only Arthur Dent could learn to fall and not hit the ground. :)

Seriously, you can't learn to survive a fall from a great height - only a few techniques that might improve your chances if the height of your fall was on the threshold of survivability. Terminal velocity is terminal velocity (pun intended). :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    From an exercise bike to the floor was enough to trigger it when he was 6, what a wimp!
    If he did learn new falling-and-surviving techniques, they were rubbish.
    :D

I'd forgotten about that! :D It must have made it even more imperative for him to learn some falling technique or other. He probably got on to it pretty quick when he was 7. ;-)
    GDK wrote: »

Seriously, you can't learn to survive a fall from a great height - only a few techniques that might improve your chances if the height of your fall was on the threshold of survivability. Terminal velocity is terminal velocity (pun intended). :)

Are you suggesting that there is something Arthur Dent (nice man that he is - especially when he looks like Martin Freeman) can do that the Doctor can't? Blasphemy!

And no, I'm not serious.:D
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah but the 10th Doctor had met Arthur Dent so may have learnt the trick off him :)
    DOCTOR: Very Arthur Dent. Now, there was a nice man. Taught me how to fly you know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member

Ten seemed to have mastered it pretty admirably.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    Ten seemed to have mastered it pretty admirably.

And here we are, back where this off topic side discussion started. :)

I'd quite forgotten 10's reference to meeting Arthur. :)

How many other fictional characters has the Doctor claimed to have met? Does Robin Hood count as fictional?
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not having read through all 43 pages of comments, here is my brief view of the final episode.

Missy: complete crackpot, but at least came across as believable. Probably suspected that there would be Cyberman treachery, no doubt pre-programming the Cyberman's gun to operate a transmat beam instead.

Danny: long, drawn, dragged out demise. He was flatter than the flat, 2-dimensional monsters a few episodes ago. I was glad he departed.

Osgood: shame about her.

Santa Claus: no, no, no.
  • misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    The Clara/Danny parts of this story is killing the mood here...ruining the pace

I completely agree

Also I think the scripts have been weaker for Peter Capaldi than other doctors which is a shame.

The Clara/Danny storyline has not worked all series.

Time for a new creative controller maybe?

Best

M
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does UNIT supplement its funding by selling indestructible eyewear, I wonder?
    Missy managed to reduce Osgood to a pile of ashes, including her shoes, clothes. personal effects (including 1x inhaler) but somehow her glasses survived. Must have been made from impressive stuff.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many other fictional characters has the Doctor claimed to have met? Does Robin Hood count as fictional?

He's as real as the Doctor:)
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trilobite wrote: »
    Not having read through all 43 pages of comments, here is my brief view of the final episode.

Missy: complete crackpot, but at least came across as believable. Probably suspected that there would be Cyberman treachery, no doubt pre-programming the Cyberman's gun to operate a transmat beam instead.

Danny: long, drawn, dragged out demise. He was flatter than the flat, 2-dimensional monsters a few episodes ago. I was glad he departed.

All of the above.
  • bluetardisbluetardis Posts: 15
    Forum Member

Missy ended up in the Nethersphere which would suggest that the Brigadier Leithbridge-Stewart Cyberman did disintegrate her. Since the Nethersphere is like a computer hard-drive there is nothing to say that Missy can't download herself into another body.

Agreed. I didn't see the point in him being there. The relationship between Clara and Danny lacked chemistry and the sacrificing oneself to save your loved one has already been done.

Agreed, but unlike the Danny Clara thing it did make sense in terms of the plot. Missy couldn't have The Doctor figure out what was happening before she had time to put all the pieces into place.

I don't get it either...
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont care what they do with it next series because this series has been brilliant with Cappaldi and with the writing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Did no one else pay attention to the whole season? The Dr. began in the first episode denegrating soldiers and wondering about his own character. He continued until the last episode when he decided that he could not place Clara in the position of murderer and when he trusted Danny (soldier) to resolve the issue, He also commented on Lethbridge-Stewart always being available when the world was in danger and saluted him despite the Dr's many years of unfavorable comments about UNIT and soldiers. It was an episode that resolved old issues for the Doctor. Shame on those of you who failed to make the connections and instead battered the episode.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    cynthia wrote: »
    Did no one else pay attention to the whole season? The Dr. began in the first episode denegrating soldiers and wondering about his own character. He continued until the last episode when he decided that he could not place Clara in the position of murderer and when he trusted Danny (soldier) to resolve the issue, He also commented on Lethbridge-Stewart always being available when the world was in danger and saluted him despite the Dr's many years of unfavorable comments about UNIT and soldiers. It was an episode that resolved old issues for the Doctor. Shame on those of you who failed to make the connections and instead battered the episode.

Huh? :confused:

Who says people didn't get it?

What difference does that make to the shortcomings of the episode?

In any case, to me, his dislike of soldiers was completely out of the blue, anyway, and made little sense given his past friendships with soldiers (Unit) and warriors in general (Leela). He may not have liked the "shoot first, ask questions later", mentality of the military mind (although he seems to have done his share when it came to Daleks and Cybermen) but he has never had anything personally against them as people or had an issue with them travelling with him. Until "Into the Dalek".

His rudeness towards Danny never made any sense and seemed to be rude for the sake of it and just because he did another abrupt about face and decided he liked some particular soldiers again in the last episode doesn't really seem like some deep and meaningful character progression!
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The doctor dislikes soldiers because of their propensity to act like machines in an army.
    Machines,robots,aliens,soldiers ; these things signify because they are not human, but automatons. He values them when they try to be human and show feelings or emotion etc . This thing about machines versus lifeforms goes back to the earliest episodes of 1963.
    In this series the dalek is "kind" and not functioning well as a machine, the robot is trying to rebuild himself as something organic,almost human,Danny and the Brigadier go against the corporate "army" mentality of the cybermen.

Its being consciously sentient that matters, that involves love and sacrifice. He recognises something special in that, in what Danny and Clara have, in the way the doctor and clara sacrifice self interest for the sake of each other in the final scenes of the Finale.They give to each other for the sake of the other and at personal cost. Thats real love and beautifully captured in the expression of the doctors face in his hug with Clara.They finally got there, but it took the series to do it! Brilliant stuff.

And yet.....
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    The doctor dislikes soldiers because of their propensity to act like machines in an army.

I have never once got that impression :confused:

He disliked the military mind because it tended to put the violent/aggressive solution ahead of other solutions. Shoot first, ask questions later has always been anathema to him.

He has never had a problem with liking the soldiers themselves, however, He never gave the impression that he disliked any of the old UNIT team, or Leela, or any other soldier he came across. He just sometimes disagreed with their methods.

He certainly didn't consider them machines. If anything, they were too passionate, not impassionate as a machine would be.
  • bohoboybohoboy Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone who likes Michelle Gomez she was in the first episode of the new series of PsychoBitches last night in a role that I thought tied in quite nicely with Death in Heaven.

[iurl]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152857533845953&l=f28b1e2ac7[/iurl]
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Only saw this episode the other day but Im pleased to say I Really Enjoyed it and Moffat created an episode for once which was exciting and well written but also easy to follow. Such a shame Christmas followed and created the worst episode of all time. 9/10.