Does anyone believe this?

Any theories?

no way it will go on for ever like james bond :D
  • mclovinmclovin Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    never. gonna. happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I don't expect Sanjeev Bhaskar to ever give up the role of 13th Doc, so the issue will never arise.
  • mclovinmclovin Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Yoonix wrote: »
    I don't expect Sanjeev Bhaskar to ever give up the role of 13th Doc, so the issue will never arise.

who? don't know who that is
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If The Master can beat the 12 regenerations rule I'm sure the show will allow The Doctor to do the same.
  • kjwillykjwilly Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    No chance- it will end when viewing figures dictate, whether that is before or after the end of the 13th Doctor
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not going to end a succesful and popular programme which is earning them s**tloads of money just because of a line in an episode that was written thirty-odd years ago.

As RTD said: Doctor finds Crystal of Zog... Doctor gets new regeneration cycle... boom! Away we go.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha they can easily just say the timelords gave him unlimited regenerations during the time war
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Mansun wrote: »
    They're not going to end a succesful and popular programme which is earning them s**tloads of money just because of a line in an episode that was written thirty-odd years ago.

As RTD said: Doctor finds Crystal of Zog... Doctor gets new regeneration cycle... boom! Away we go.

Or possibly just regenerates again, crying "What? WHAT? WHAAAATTTT?" leaving the reason as a mystery, and the possible conclusion of a season arc.
  • bodsworthnjbodsworthnj Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I know

the time lords imposed a limit of thirteen regenerations but now there gone it is unlimited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reality check.. 1 2 !

The only reason we got 'regeneration' in the first place was that Bill Hartnell got too unwell to continue. Hence they invented the concept.
    Can you honestly see Auntie canning Dr Who in the light of that?

As written further up this thread, the writers will simply write an 'out', and we all get to enjoy Dr Who until we no longer want to or the ratings fall so far that the Beeb cans it.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Or possibly just regenerates again, crying "What? WHAT? WHAAAATTTT?" leaving the reason as a mystery, and the possible conclusion of a season arc.

Hey I came up with that about 2 years ago! :D

(Mind you it's hardly the most orginal of ideas...maybe I don't want the credit! :p )

I think the best (and easiest) explanation now is that the 12 regeneration limit was set by the Time Lords as a kind of population control and the device that detected how many regenerations and suspended them after a time (perhaps in a similar manner The Master managed to suspend The Doctor's capacity to regenerate last series) was lost with Gallifrey....
    Meaning The Doctor can regenerate as many times as he wants...
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    Reality check.. 1 2 !

The only reason we got 'regeneration' in the first place was that Bill Hartnell got too unwell to continue. Hence they invented the concept.
    Can you honestly see Auntie canning Dr Who in the light of that?

As written further up this thread, the writers will simply write an 'out', and we all get to enjoy Dr Who until we no longer want to or the ratings fall so far that the Beeb cans it.

And the 12 regenerations was not introduced until Tom Baker's time.

But this is the whole problem with the Time Lord's and why I don't really want them back. Not being there is the get out clause they need.
  • bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always said that it was possible that they gave him new set of regens because of the Time War.:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best (and easiest) explanation now is that the 12 regeneration limit was set by the Time Lords as a kind of population control and the device that detected how many regenerations and suspended them after a time (perhaps in a similar manner The Master managed to suspend The Doctor's capacity to regenerate last series) was lost with Gallifrey....

The lucky sod. :(
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Hey I came up with that about 2 years ago! :D

(Mind you it's hardly the most orginal of ideas...maybe I don't want the credit! :p )

Ah, so that's the real reason the Doctor doesn't want t go back and save the Time Lords :D
  • TakeDown247TakeDown247 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is how many times did the Doctor regenerate before the first series back in 1967?
    as he was old then ( not that I remeber as I wasn't around then )

I bet when I time comes nothing will be said about it
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Thing is how many times did the Doctor regenerate before the first series back in 1967?
    as he was old then ( not that I remeber as I wasn't around then )

I bet when I time comes nothing will be said about it

What did he say in Time Crash? When he was young he spent all his time being old...as you do when you're young and trying to look important...

So I think he was the first...as the oldest!

It reminds me of a Simpsons quote:

"You remind me of the young me, which was ironically the old me!"

The Doctor adds a whole new level to that one! :D
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll actually end in 2011 when the 10th Doctor explodes in a supernova.
  • TakeDown247TakeDown247 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did he say in Time Crash? When he was young he spent all his time being old...as you do when you're young and trying to look important...

So I think he was the first...as the oldest!

It reminds me of a Simpsons quote:

"You remind me of the young me, which was ironically the old me!"

The Doctor adds a whole new level to that one! :D

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I just watched timecrash and thought it was good :)

I think as codename_47 else said The Timelords suspended regenerations after 13 and The Doctor did say to rose that he doesn't die he regenerates so maybe now The Doctor can live for ever
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    I have always wondered if the President of the Time Lords had given The Doctor the job of destroying Gallifrey, The Time Lords along with the Daleks if it looked as if The Daleks were going to succeed in taking over Gallifrey. Further from this she also gave The Doctor unlimited regenerations so that he could carry on protecting The Earth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote: »

they did once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, I just watched timecrash and thought it was good :)

I think as codename_47 else said The Timelords suspended regenerations after 13 and The Doctor did say to rose that he doesn't die he regenerates so maybe now The Doctor can live for ever

he died in the film.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    he died in the film.

Because the Human Medicine delayed the start of the Regenerationm process, which cause some amnesia.
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they did once.
    Which had nothing to do with the Doctor running out of regenerations.