Callback Issues from Multiroom

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    They asked me when i went xd if i wanted it withheld or not, Dont think it has to go hand in hand with being xd but maybe they just withhold it as standard on some xd numbers?
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davieg1611 wrote:
    They asked me when i went xd if i wanted it withheld or not, Dont think it has to go hand in hand with being xd but maybe they just withhold it as standard on some xd numbers?
    Exactly - it is likely that many folk wishing to be xd might also want Permanent Number Withhold, so the opportunity is presented - but you do not have to have both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I have recently had an additional Sky Multiroom box installed but now my broadband does not work whilst the sky box is plugged in. Yes I am using filters and they are configured correctly. I am not using SKY Broadband but Freedom2surf. Therefore I HAVE to remove the sky multiroom box phone cable to use broadband. What is the current fine if Sky check and see that I do not have a box connected into my line and I did hear there was a £25 one off payment to get out of this clause? Is this true? I think there is to much REM on the line as there is a Fax machine/telephone, Sky Boxes & broadband connected to the line.Any help on this would be great, thanks.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MattyNipps wrote:
    I have recently had an additional Sky Multiroom box installed but now my broadband does not work whilst the sky box is plugged in. Yes I am using filters and they are configured correctly. I am not using SKY Broadband but Freedom2surf. Therefore I HAVE to remove the sky multiroom box phone cable to use broadband. What is the current fine if Sky check and see that I do not have a box connected into my line and I did hear there was a £25 one off payment to get out of this clause? Is this true? I think there is to much REM on the line as there is a Fax machine/telephone, Sky Boxes & broadband connected to the line.Any help on this would be great, thanks.

If you continue to leave the box(es) unplugged then you will be charged the full subscription fee for each box you have.

All Sky Multiroom boxes must be kept connected to an operational phone line : there is no fee to get out of this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed: The opt-out applies only to a single Standard Box at first Installation.
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    MattyNipps wrote:
    I have recently had an additional Sky Multiroom box installed but now my broadband does not work whilst the sky box is plugged in. Yes I am using filters and they are configured correctly. I am not using SKY Broadband but Freedom2surf. Therefore I HAVE to remove the sky multiroom box phone cable to use broadband.
    I've no idea why that should happen but, with regard to the need to have all multiroom boxes connected to the same landline at all times, just make sure they're all connected overnight and you shouldn't have any problems with Sky moaning (if that's insufficient, Sky will write to you so you'll know).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Matty, the average REN number for a home telephone line is 4. Therefore, if each appliance you have plugged in to the line has an REN of 1.. Fax + phone + b/band + 2 sky boxes = 5.. It's possible that the REN of your line is overloaded and this could be affecting your b/band service... I believe you can get in touch with BT to turn up then REN on your line which may help. Hope this is of use to you :-)
  • merlodlliwmerlodlliw Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    Exactly - it is likely that many folk wishing to be xd might also want Permanent Number Withhold, so the opportunity is presented - but you do not have to have both.

I have had the XD number for five to six years,used it originally for internet,prior to broadband.

I was never asked if I wanted the number with held, but BT did, on asking why ,I was told because the number is XD for my own security, they did a 141 on it.

I can understand the reason for this, family bust ups and the like, did not bother me.

Bob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    BT may automatically set your number to witheld when switching/requesting ex-directory, if you state reasons such as abusive calls, family splits, problem callers etc. They probably shouldn't, but I think they feel they're being helpful if they do.
    If you're not sure if your number is witheld just dial your mobile and don't pick up. If it doesn't come up with the number then you're witheld. Still worth checking with BT/Telewest/NTL etc though...
    If you don't want your number witheld your best to tell them...had the same problem myself with BT six months ago and that's what the letter they sent me to apologise said :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    This thread has now got me concerned. I have Sky HD downstairs with the magic eye upstairs (so I have a Sky cable routed upstairs).
    I am now thinking of using my spare Sky+ box (or my ordinary spare Sky box) upstairs. Presumably this will cost £10 per month (is there a set up charge when I already have the box and cable). But there is no telephone point upstairs and I do not want the hassle of fitting an extension lead. Does this mean that Sky will not relieve me of £10 extra a month and I cannot have multi-room?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    knappettg wrote:
    This thread has now got me concerned. I have Sky HD downstairs with the magic eye upstairs (so I have a Sky cable routed upstairs).
    I am now thinking of using my spare Sky+ box (or my ordinary spare Sky box) upstairs. Presumably this will cost £10 per month (is there a set up charge when I already have the box and cable). But there is no telephone point upstairs and I do not want the hassle of fitting an extension lead. Does this mean that Sky will not relieve me of £10 extra a month and I cannot have multi-room?

Correct - multiroom requires permanent phone connection of both boxes to prevent fraud and prove that both cards are being used in the same household. It is very rigorously policed by Sky and non connection will result in a couple of warning letters and then automatic increase of your direct debit to two full subscriptions.

Without phone connections, one cheap £10 card could be sold for use at another house. So fit a phone lead. use a wireless extension socket or do without - the choice is yours.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    knappettg wrote:
    When we had our Sky multiroom installed, the installer ran the phones wires to the other digiboxes around the outside of the house from the main phone point in our living room.
    Forum Member
    What you say sounds reasonable. I hadn't thought of the abuse potential.
    I have Sky HD downstairs (linked to phone line) and a Sky magic eye (installed by Sky ages ago so there is a proper cable) upstairs.
    My son is going to be back home for a bit so is cancelling his Sky+ subscription in his current house.
    I just need the best way of using his Sky+ box and card in our house upstairs.
    Will Sky charge for the set-up. I know it will be £10 a month but he is saving his current Sky subscription.
    Will Sky+ work as there is only one cable in?
    Or is there a better way?
    I don't think I need a Sky installer. I can do a wired telephone extension lead I just didn't want the hassle! Wireless is a possibility but having just set up a wireless PC/Broadband that sounds like more hassle - and cost!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    knappettg wrote:
    What you say sounds reasonable. I hadn't thought of the abuse potential.
    I have Sky HD downstairs (linked to phone line) and a Sky magic eye (installed by Sky ages ago so there is a proper cable) upstairs.
    My son is going to be back home for a bit so is cancelling his Sky+ subscription in his current house.
    I just need the best way of using his Sky+ box and card in our house upstairs.
    Will Sky charge for the set-up. I know it will be £10 a month but he is saving his current Sky subscription.
    Will Sky+ work as there is only one cable in?
    Or is there a better way?
    I don't think I need a Sky installer. I can do a wired telephone extension lead I just didn't want the hassle! Wireless is a possibility but having just set up a wireless PC/Broadband that sounds like more hassle - and cost!

Is the upstairs cable direct from the lnb (bit in front of dish) or from the RF2 on Sky HD?

For proper functionality of the Sky+ you will need two cables from the lnb (NOT the SkyHD - it will work in a very limited way on one cable from the lnb (but NOT from the Sky HD which is what I suspect you have if you have been using a magic eye on it - this is an RF feed with only the HD output on it NOT a feed through from the lnb.)
    Forum Member
    There are two cables from the dish to the Sky HD box and one cable from the HD box to the Sky magic eye then to the TV upstairs.
    Do I need another cable from the dish to the upstairs Sky+box - and therefore need an installer to do it?
    Geoff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    knappettg wrote:
    There are two cables from the dish to the Sky HD box and one cable from the HD box to the Sky magic eye then to the TV upstairs.
    Do I need another cable from the dish to the upstairs Sky+box - and therefore need an installer to do it?
    Geoff

You need two cables direct from the dish to the upstairs box - the one from your HD box does not carry the correct signals - merely an RF output showing the channel your HD box is tuned to and absolutely useless for a Sky+ box.

If you do not feel confident at working on your dish (merely screwing two connectors to unused outputs on your lnb, clipping the cable to wall etc to prevent it blowing in the wind and drilling a hole to get the cables into the required room (possibly may be easiest via the loft)) you will need an installer.

See here for instructions (you can ignore all the bits about fitting the quad lnb as you should already have one)
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/page10.htm
    Forum Member
    Thanks Dave
    Do Sky do a free install if I have multi-room?
    Also can I keep the magic eye linked and run the cable to another bedroom?
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been trying to work out why my Sky HD box keps putting up the message 'Telephone Line Busy' as opposed to connected (as it was between May, when installed, and last week) or not connected, as it is when I pull the phone cable out of the back.

(See Telephone Line Busy? thread in Sky HD)

Could any of these issues be related? We are ex directory. However, the Sky + multiroom box shows Line connected, as it always has, and the Sky HD box DID show Line Connected for months until last week.

We have no broadband or filters.

Trying to work out what (other than being on the phone) would create a 'Busy' message on the HD box.

We did join the Sky Viewer Panel and noticed the on line light on a lot over Christmad/New Year (that we took to be Sky getting info). Could this have created a problem with the phone connection to the HD box?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    i had a refurbished box replacement in oct ,have now had aletter saying my phone line is not connected,but it is box is not holding prefix,and they want £65 for a callout,can anyone help with a way roundabout it please?filters fitted and working and it is on my multiroom box!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Further to my post above (44), I received the Sky letter yesterday.

It is dated 17 Feb despite the box showing line connected for some time now (I have checked it almost daily since the few days it was mysteriously offline as reported above).

Firstly, the Sky letter is different from those I received a year or two back. They have improved this and it is now far less confrontational and no longer involves the call us immediately or you will be cut off tone of earlier ones.

Instead it goes through all the possible options for why their callback is failing and tells you how to correct it yourself in seconds.

Brilliant step forward for customer services and well done Sky for listening to the complaints. My only quibble (and it is just a minor one) is that it still starts off by claiming that your sky boxes are not connected to the same phone line, before explaining several ways in which the problem could occur when that is NOT the case. Certainly for me, knowing that the two boxes were - and always were - connected to the same phone - this opening line is still a bit too confrontational and would be better saying something like - We have tried to call your box, under the terms of your multiroom agreement, but are experiencing problems. The reasons for this could be....etc. No need to suggest we are cheating Sky causing innocent customers to feel agrieved.

But well done to all. A much better letter.

BTW, I followed the advice in the letter and found that the Sky installer (when we got HD) had not set either the HD box or Sky + with the 1470 code despite our being ex-directory. Even though both boxes were showing telephone line connected this was,presumably, why there were call back issues. I entered it on both boxes, saved settings and call back went through okay.

So it looks like all ex directory numbers DO need the 1470 code entered and saved.

Might be worth checking if you are ex directory to avoid these letters coming your way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another solution might be to ask BT to remove the Permanent Number Withhold - It shouldn't affect your Ex-directory Status (Unless, of course, you actually want Permanent Number Withhold!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    Another solution might be to ask BT to remove the Permanent Number Withhold - It shouldn't affect your Ex-directory Status (Unless, of course, you actually want Permanent Number Withhold!).

Given my career in writing and broadcasting there are times when this helps. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's another possible cause for this problem.
    Some of these cheap calls suppliers don't always pass on the caller-id, even if it's not witheld. Apparently it's something to do with routing calls via cheap circuits that don't support caller-id. The problem is intermittent, and may seem ok when you test it, but an hour of so later won't be.
    I couldn't find any way round this, and eventually went back to BT.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if this is a rather obvious question, but we've just had BT phoneline installed and we're on Sky Multirooom. So will I need to phone the guy's at Sky to inform them of our new number for when they do the callback's?

Thanks.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:
    Sorry if this is a rather obvious question, but we've just had BT phoneline installed and we're on Sky Multirooom. So will I need to phone the guy's at Sky to inform them of our new number for when they do the callback's?

Probably as well that you do!.