Iphone Problem With Bbc Iplayer

fitlikefitlike Posts: 188
Forum Member
Anyone else experiencing this?
Or can anyone help me?

this has only happened since i updated to the latest version.

io used to be able to watch bbc iplayer in my house not problem.

now when i select the bbc iplayer i get the bbc's mobile verios of the site. if i go into preferences and select show normal version it gives me the proper home page but then after selecting iplayer again it takes me back to the mobile site. I have cookies enabled. If i use it outside my house, on the 3g network then it takes me to the correct iplayer page (although i cannot play it as you cant do that on 3g)

anyone any ideas?
cookies are enabled.
thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you want the normal version?

The iphone formatted version is far easier to use and has no less content that the normal site. Stuff like Radio you can't play anyway. iPhone uses specific h264 versions of the videos too so you don't get a better quality or anything on the normal site.
  • fitlikefitlike Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    MrKev wrote: »
    Why do you want the normal version?

The iphone formatted version is far easier to use and has no less content that the normal site. Stuff like Radio you can't play anyway. iPhone uses specific h264 versions of the videos too so you don't get a better quality or anything on the normal site.

Apologies - the normal version i refer too is the iphone formatted version but i now get the generic mobile phone version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/index.html

That's the iphone page. Try typing that in. In case there are still any misunderstandings it should look like this:

http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0002bb3.png
    Forum Member
    Thank you. The image is what I have been used to. When I click on the link I get the BBC mobile site. I have tried every possible preference on the site but nothing works.
    Thanks for getting back to me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still a little confused as to what you mean.

There are two versions of the iplayer website - the iphone formatted one and the normal one. I don't think there is a different version for other mobiles.

You should either get this:

http://www.stevey.biz/live/uploads/iplayer2.0beta.PNG

or

I don't believe there is any other version out there. I suppose as a last resort you could try clearing your settings on your iphone. Settings -> safari -> then clear cache and cookies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is my understanding as well. I am glad they made an iPhone-specific version. As good as the iPhone browser is it is still nice to have sites that are designed for iPhone. It is usually quicker over the mobile phone network (faster and using less data for O2 to complain), it is easier to navigate (no matter how good the interface, browsing the real web will never be the same as using your 20" screen on your desk), and a lot of these websites block out unnecessary junk like adverts...I know BBC doesn't have ads, but with sites like Facebook etc, the Facebook app is great, it gives you all the basic features, without all the apps and adverts..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit pointless accessing the iplayer site over the mobile network though. Videos will only play via wifi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit pointless accessing the iplayer site over the mobile network though. Videos will only play via wifi.

I know, but still a nicer browsing experience. I think BBC probably have an agreement with O2 not to enable iPlayer even if on 3G. Imagine the bandwidth used if that happened!
    Forum Member
    thanks everyone for their help. I found out today why. Virgin media ip addresses do not allow access to the BBC iplayer. It appently is a fault is the bbc's as the BBC thinks the ip address is out of the country and therefor will not let you watch programmes
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still a little confused as to what you mean.

There are two versions of the iplayer website - the iphone formatted one and the normal one. I don't think there is a different version for other mobiles.

You should either get this:

http://www.stevey.biz/live/uploads/iplayer2.0beta.PNG

or

I don't believe there is any other version out there. I suppose as a last resort you could try clearing your settings on your iphone. Settings -> safari -> then clear cache and cookies.

i know what he means - there is a generic mobile version too. i was playing around with an iPhone and looked at the iPlayer and was very impressed.

then i realised i can get video on my mobile (k850i) and so had a look on that - but it was nothing like as slick as the iPhone version, and more like the mobile web pages that get served up for mobiles.

Iain
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Can I plug the apple component video cable into my iPhone and watch iplayer content on my TV?

What will the quality be like?