Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak calls for iTunes on Android

13»

Comments

• Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Google only develops Voice Search and Maps for iOS AFAIK, and even then most of the features have been ported across from Android. They are already doing next to nothing on iOS, and besides I don't see any potential ad revenue in the Maps application? The only reason they continue to support Maps on iOS is because the system relies on more people using it, and even then the user installed base for iOS is lower than Android.

This argument that 'Google is a business' and is 'only in it for the money' is not looking at the bigger picture. It's highly likely that in a few years time Android will have near full control of the market a la Windows in the PC sector (might not be true, but is highly likely), the point is, Google are likely not to be making much revenue for the services they provide on iOS especially when compared to standard Google search from a browser where there is ad revenue galore.

I would argue that there is minimal monetary incentive for Google to keep developing iOS apps and the only reason they do so is because they gain more data. If stopping Maps was going to lose them as much money as you suggest they gain from these apps then surely they would have contested Apple's decision to remove their apps as default in some way.

The entire mobile market is more than just the smartphone market, though.

Although Android continues to dominate the smartphone market, iOS continues to dominate the growing tablet market.

Given that the majority of tablets sold are iPads, and that the vast majority of tablet-browsing is done on iPads, I think that is a big incentive to continue developing for iOS even though it has a smaller share of the smartphone market.
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Apple traditionally use their software to sell hardware -- they are after all a hardware company. They put iTunes on Windows because they knew it'd sell more iPods (and subsequently iPhones and probably Macs too). I'm not sure what putting iTunes on Android would do in terms of hardware as what hardware would someone buy? They'd but music obv. but I don't know.

Personally I'd love to see it as it'd mean I could experiment with an Android phone to go with my Nexus7. But I don't think we'll see this happen.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he meant that in today's toxic atmosphere iTunes on Android could never happen. And going with it to other platform, Windows, was what made Apple as successful as it is now.