Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    And that being so, a fleeting thought which occurs to me is that (power?) boat rides probably devour rather a lot of fuel. Which tends to come expensive. And we saw a local farmer who'd had (£500-worth?) of fuel stolen from his tractor, right back at the start of the series. And Danny had £500 hidden under his bed....... so could these factors all have come together to play a part in the events which unfolded? Not necessarily as the direct cause of Danny's death, but as part of the pattern of events which led up to it......?

Also still wondering about the postman. Or 'postman', for that matter; there was definitely no sign of a delivery bag in the scene we were shown of the encounter which Jack claimed to have seen between the postman and Danny, and the red van in that scene was unmarked. So was there really any such encounter, and if there was, was it between Danny and a postman, or somebody else? And if Jack lied about either the scene's existence or the detaIls of it such as the postbag, why?

Oh, I didn't notice your post. The 'postman's' been bugging me too.
    Jack told DI Hardy, that the man he saw with Danny was a 'postman' because he had a (postman's) bag and was wearing a reflective jacket. When DI Hardy and Ellie questioned the postman along the road, I don't remember them asking him if he had one of those jackets.
    The 'postman' that Jack saw, may not have been a postman at all.
  • stuartfstuartf Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    No, the church and graveyard are both on the sea cliff walk in clevedon, north somerset.

I'm not sure about the unidentified land mass on the horizon when DT and OC were sat talking. If it was set in Dorset, then was it the isle of white, (rather than South Wales as it probably was!)

The land mass in the background is Steepholm and Flatholm in the Bristol Channel west of Clevedon. South Wales has also been visible in the distant background

The Isle of White isn't visible from West Bay although you can see Portland on shots facing east along the coast. This looks like an island

I am loving the series but find myself distracted by the location. I spent my childhood weekends and school holidays in West Bay and grew up in Portishead four miles from Clevedon. All three locations have been used in filming. It blows my mind when they walk around the harbour at West Bay and end up in a street in Clevedon!!

Stuart
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Alison Graham is a critic for the radio times and a very critical critic she is for sure. Writing about next weeks Broadchurch, she says"Its a superb episode in simply the best TV drama to come our way in a long long time, and it echoes with profound sadness".

I dont think we are watching the same show:confused:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I find that taking the opposing view to AG is an accurate way of assessing the worth of any programme she reviews.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hanging in there, but reading reviews (here and elsewhere) - not sure if I am watching a different programme.

Finding the practical side of the police investigation more and more baffling - and no I am not an expert! But interviews seem to be conducted on park benches - obvious clues are being ignored. Seriously - an 11 year old murder victim has £500 hidden in his room? That must be a very well paid newspaper round.

And who owns the burning boat? Enjoying the cast and the excellent acting, but getting frustrated by the logic behind it all. I guess I was spoilt by The Killing and Wallender.

The Killing was so much better (I didn't see Wallender) I can see echoes of it in the production of Broadchurch, but it's not nearly as compelling.

Broadchurch = Mournfull music + too much slow motion

It's just not working for me.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Killing was so much better (I didn't see Wallender) I can see echoes of it in the production of Broadchurch, but it's not nearly as compelling.

Broadchurch = Mournfull music + too much slow motion

It's just not working for me.

It is for me ,so i guess it's each to their own. :)
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this has been posted, but just in case it hasn't been seen, a witty look at the show by DS itself. It made me smile.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a468471/broadchurch-episode-four-blog-who-killed-danny-latimer.html

The bit about doing detective work rang very true to me! I am enjoying watching this, but there do seem to be a few holes that need filling quick! Still, am really enjoying seeing the actors, I mean with Dr Who and Rory, you can't complain. Plus always good to see Pauline Quirk (and her dog!), Olivia Coleman and the old bloke in the shop, who seems to pop up a lot, looking dodgy in dramas!!!
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I find that taking the opposing view to AG is an accurate way of assessing the worth of any programme she reviews.

:D:D:D
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Just a thought.

Susan/Elaine could be the girl Jack was prosecuted for having underage sex with and then they moved. It's not unusual for such a relationship to carry on and eventually peter out.
    There is definitely some connection between them, she certainly looked happy in that photo as 'Elaine'.
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been posted, but just in case it hasn't been seen, a witty look at the show by DS itself. It made me smile.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a468471/broadchurch-episode-four-blog-who-killed-danny-latimer.html

Read that last night and the bit that stood out for me was the reference to Jude the Obscure and the storyline of the book ..........could be nothing, could be a huge hint of things to come
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re Susan / Elaine

It could be a simple name change...

as in....... she was Elaine Susan Wright .......then married and became Elaine Susan Jones.

Split from hubbie who turned out to be some kind of criminal - maybe even murdered someone and is serving time in prison ( as someone suggested earlier on here )

She wanted to distance herself, so went back to her original surname of Wright and decided to drop the Elaine and use her second name of Susan, in order to have a completely different name and no connection with former husband

Nah, that's probably way too simple for this plotline
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Read that last night and the bit that stood out for me was the reference to Jude the Obscure and the storyline of the book ..........could be nothing, could be a huge hint of things to come

Maybe, although I think he was just getting a dig in about there being "no pictures in it".
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Jude the Obscure I believe the eldest child kills himself and the other children in the family "because we are too menny", so I'm not sure how it would relate to this story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    In Jude the Obscure I believe the eldest child kills himself and the other children in the family "because we are too menny", so I'm not sure how it would relate to this story.

Thanks for that Catsitter.......have to say it's not one I've read, so was just going by the comments in the DS blog write up
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, the church and graveyard are both on the sea cliff walk in Clevedon, north somerset.
    Ah thanks for that. That would be St. Andrews, then. Although I was brought up in Clevedon, that part wasn't on my normal stomping ground. :)

(And it's Isle of Wight, by the way ;))
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a long time ago since I read it, :o but isn't it something to do with the fact the older - half-brother :confused:? - gets the idea that because his younger brothers and sisters were born out of marriage that they are responsible for the bad luck of the family?

Interesting that David Tennant's character is called Hardy, though ;):D
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    It's a long time ago since I read it, :o but isn't it something to do with the fact the older - half-brother :confused:? - gets the idea that because his younger brothers and sisters were born out of marriage that they are responsible for the bad luck of the family?

Interesting that David Tennant's character is called Hardy, though ;):D

Yes, star-crossed lovers, sexual repression and divine retribution.
    And an unhappy ending.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Fwiw, I'm quite interested in the computer club and - from the pov of someone who enjoys structure - that the Rev and Tom haven't yet met on screen. The dynamic between them might be key - it's difficult to see what is holding Tom back from telling what he knows and an 'authority' figure might be it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In Jude the Obscure, Jude was an orphan who was raised by his aunt. I seem to remember he had to stay in the village and was forced to marry someone.
    His marriage was a very unhappy one. Jude then lived with his lover and had children out of wedlock, which was frowned upon at the time.

The book is a dismal read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »

Interesting that David Tennant's character is called Hardy, though ;) :
    D

.....and Jude's lover was called Sue.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »

I agree, there could be similarities.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Jude the Obscure, Jude was an orphan who was raised by his aunt. I seem to remember he had to stay in the village and was forced to marry someone.
    His marriage was a very unhappy one. Jude then lived with his lover and had children out of wedlock, which was frowned upon at the time.

The book is a dismal read.

As are all Thomas Hardy novels. I shudder to think what his own marriage was like. All his heroines, heroes seem to come to a miserable end in the pursuit of true love.
  • miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love the chemistry between the two main detectives Alec and Ellie, they have a fabulous, abeit, disfunctional relationship
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As are all Thomas Hardy novels. I shudder to think what his own marriage was like. All his heroines, heroes seem to come to a miserable end in the pursuit of true love.

Especially Tess.... Haven't read all of them. I gave up after reading Far from the Madding Crowd. :o
This discussion has been closed.