Sky+ without sky subscription....

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MattC wrote:
    When you call Sky, patient persistence seems to pay off - ask for someone in "New Sky Business" they should be able to set you up with just Sky+ functionality. If they insist it can't be done, either hang up and call straight back (you may get a more enlightened CS rep) or ask to speak to a supervisor in the Lothian office.
    Sky used to accept a £10 a month fee just for recording functionality. Recently, however, I've seen reports that this is simply not an available option on the computer screen except to someone who knows how to hack into it. Thus you have the choice of making numerous phone calls until you eventually get lucky and find the guy who knows how to do it. Or you set up a subscription account then phone back a few days later and cancel it, leaving just the £10 fee. Once you have an account, it's apparently easy to cancel it (within 7 days) but leave the £10 a month fee in place.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffkey1 wrote:
    ok kevinweisman good point. But I would have had to run about 12M of phone line in or get/make a tempory phone extension lead.

Hi

And at the Poundshop it will cost you around.........

A £1 :)
    jeffkey1 wrote:

I would think that it would make sense to include the sky+ facility into the HD package as indicated further up this thread.

I thought it already was ?
    there is a rumour the £10 may get scrapped

Is this still doing the rounds ?
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Hi

And at the Poundshop it will cost you around.........

A £1 :)

Its not the cost, its the ugly wiring around the hall and lounge that I object to.

Still its all up and running now and works great. The family are very pleased. No more adverts to watch any more. We are getting really skilled at the 2 or 3 min jump.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffkey1 wrote:
    Its not the cost, its the ugly wiring around the hall and lounge that I object to.

Still its all up and running now and works great. The family are very pleased. No more adverts to watch any more. We are getting really skilled at the 2 or 3 min jump.

Hi

But its just a temporay fix , if required / insisted by the installer , just run the ugly extention to get the call back , then when its done pack it away in the garage or shed.

Also wireless senders are available to as alternatives if you have multiroom and MUST keep the box connected

see here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300103282415&rd=1&rd=1

Glad to hear you are sorted without the need or expense
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Sky remove all programs recorded from your drive when you stop paying for a channel, my sky costs £19 per month, have people taken leave of there sences? a normal sky box would cost the same to view, but sky offer you to use the most easiest system to use, after all, sky are a company and have to make money, recording is an added thank you for paying, its not nasty, if you choose not to pay then dont expect to get the cool service, why should people get recording for free, just because the box can, dont mean it will... sky have a bloody good recording system, point the remote, press record and the box does the rest. how easy... and for £19 a month, if you want to record for free get freeview+ or freesat+... but dont slag sky for not offering free recording, they never said it was free, so wheres your basis for the free recording?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I canceled ALL my Sky talk/broadband and TV as Sky yet again took 2 months money out for about the 4th time. It was then I found out that I could no longer watch what I had recorded from ITV and Channel4. So I was faced with £120 a year running cost from sky for about 20 hours recording on my box, or £125 for over 100 hours on a humax Freeview+ box with the ADDED bonus of still getting Dave & Virgin(which you don't get for free on SKY). So it's a NO brainer really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    h201980 wrote: »
    Sky remove all programs recorded from your drive when you stop paying for a channel, my sky costs £19 per month, have people taken leave of there sences? a normal sky box would cost the same to view, but sky offer you to use the most easiest system to use, after all, sky are a company and have to make money, recording is an added thank you for paying, its not nasty, if you choose not to pay then dont expect to get the cool service, why should people get recording for free, just because the box can, dont mean it will... sky have a bloody good recording system, point the remote, press record and the box does the rest. how easy... and for £19 a month, if you want to record for free get freeview+ or freesat+... but dont slag sky for not offering free recording, they never said it was free, so wheres your basis for the free recording?

And you felt the need to bump up a 2 yo thread to say that

Sky don't remove recorded programmes from your HD,they stay there,if you resubscribe you can view them again
  • AakenAaken Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . . . . Sky don't remove recorded programmes from your HD,they stay there,if you resubscribe you can view them again

Correct.

The reason you can't watch them is that they are recorded in encrypted form and the decryption takes place when they are played. No subscription = No playback.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaken wrote: »
    Correct.

The reason you can't watch them is that they are recorded in encrypted form and the decryption takes place when they are played. No subscription = No playback.

Thanks for the confirmation,you sound like a teacher :o