Options

DB500s clone and Gemini 4.31 on it - beware!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
Forum Member
✭✭
There are various reports that Gemini 4.31 contained a boobytrap which operated this morning on CLONED DB 500s's that disables the box....

Folks are getting this mesage:

'Warning this has been found to have been cloned, please contact your dealer...'

Then the box crashes and becomes inoperable

Comments

• Options
    T. TanilsooT. Tanilsoo Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was about time that someone started cracking down on the counterfeiters. Why use a clone if there is an original? Good luck to coders and may all clones go to /dev/null!
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was about time that someone started cracking down on the counterfeiters. Why use a clone if there is an original? Good luck to coders and may all clones go to /dev/null!

I actually disagree 100%
    Lots of people will have purchased these boxes without actually knowing they were clones.
    Also some people on IHAD who had Official boxes were also victims of this!!
    DMM are a$$holes.

I will never purchase another dreambox again!!
    They should be boycotted by all satellite hobbyists.
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dreamboxes even legal ones are known to be difficult to use esp the 500s. a lot of people have had nightmares with them
  • Options
    T. TanilsooT. Tanilsoo Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, yes. I feel sorry for those who bought a box thinking it was original but it wasn't. I forgot to mention this, but I really think so. With that said, I am still thinking more on the DMM's side. If there wasn't that much cloning, the DMM wouldn't have had to resort for such drastic measures. Think about it.

Those who had clones sold to them as originals, and now ruined, should take legal action against the dealer who sold it to them, not curse the daylights out of DMM. Do you know any better way to fight counterfeiting some sort of efficiently?

However, it was bad that the original boxes were damaged too. That's indeed bad, and that's what I agree with.

Imagine if you designed something good, and it gets blatantly plagiarized. Wouldn't you be angry?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I have the Dreambox problem and found out that the box I purchased in good faith was a clone,not being a top tec person I spent yesterday checking all I could to see if it had any markings that showed it was a clone NONE.Living as I do in Qatar I payed 150QUID for it now its a brick,my fault BUT how do I tell Original from clone????.And why no advance warning.I now have a Mutant 200s am I going to get the same problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acer wrote: »
    .I now have a Mutant 200s am I going to get the same problems.

No, because that has very different hardware and doesn't pretend to be a Dreambox.

They are incompatible when it comes to software, anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you Billnot,I will wait and see.The setup of the software and look of it (Enigma) looks the same as the Dreambox to me ???.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Dreambox problem and found out that the box I purchased in good faith was a clone,not being a top tec person I spent yesterday checking all I could to see if it had any markings that showed it was a clone NONE.Living as I do in Qatar I payed 150QUID for it now its a brick,my fault BUT how do I tell Original from clone????.And why no advance warning.I now have a Mutant 200s am I going to get the same problems.

I'm assured that you can repair the bootloader via jtag.
    It will require making up a cable and some soldering abilitiy.
    I suspect that your dealer will be able to repair the dreambox for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After checking on Dream media website I opened my box to check the inside and guess what its an original!!!!.
    Now being a none tecie what the hell is Gemini 4.31.The box as purchased was plug and play???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Billnot,I will wait and see.The setup of the software and look of it (Enigma) looks the same as the Dreambox to me ???.

Enigma is available for the Mutant, but it's a completely different build from that for the Dreambox.

The Enigma team decided to support the Mutant and port their software to it. That's a very different thing from downloading the Dreambox software into a clone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is recoverable but you will need to jtag it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry I wouldnt know how to Jtag.Again can someone explain what Gemini 4.31 is as I said I opened the box plugged it in and watched sat tv??? Dummy or what.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I wouldnt know how to Jtag.Again can someone explain what Gemini 4.31 is as I said I opened the box plugged it in and watched sat tv??? Dummy or what.

Gemini is the actual software in the receiver.
    There are various other "teams" who produce software/firmware for dreamboxes...but Gemini was the most popular.
    If you can't jtag the box yourself.....ask your local satellite supplier if they offer a repair service for clone dreamboxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Fried Kickin,
    I am waiting for the dealer where I purchased the unit to contact me after he has got one to work ( he has about 40units bricked). As I am in Qatar there is no comeback on the seller.My mates Mutant 200s is working but freezes too much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody but NOBODY has the divine right to deliberately send out software to crash yr box

You & all the rest should combine & sue the pants off them
    After all they are very quick to employ ambulance chasing lawyers to stop up supplies of unapproved kit & add ons

In the uk I am sure this would be thought of as a criminal act
    After all you can buy a kit car that looks like another make & uses similar parts without fear of the main makers taking yr kit forcibly & crushing it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who exactly are the pirates now!!!!!!
    certainly not the innocents who bought the kit in good faith
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Statement from IHaD -
    Statement
    by IHAD regarding the current situation
    of the Gemini 4.3.1 release

Introduction:
    Cause of our re-opening,we the IHAD Team,are now giving a statement regarding the events that took place in the last days.
    Hopefully we can answer a few questions to our regular users
    and work a little against the criticism from others.
    Regarding the propaganda of some other Sat Boards,we will make a statement in the future as well.

How the drivers became part of the image:
    After we started our Blue Panel lock which worked quite ok up to 2-3 days after the start,a work-around patch became public that made it pretty much obsolete.
    After this event,DMM offered us exclusivly, a new driver for the DM500 that should become part of the CVS shortly after.
    This driver should make it possible to display jpeg files,with the DM500.

We the Team,did put 1 and 1 together and thought,that this new driver might have something in it to help DMM protect their rights.
    So we assumed that this new driver might have some kind of clone detection.

Nevertheless a test on a Blackbox,which took place,couldn't confirm this assumtion.
    The Blackbox was working without any problems in our tests.
    And honestly:Why shouldn't we use a driver that without any doubt brought many improvments for the users of the DM500.
    We also decided to keep on using this driver in our DM500 images.
    This has to reasons...
    First:Why should regular DM500 users be punished by not getting improvements for their box.
    Second:Anyone who now still puts the gemini image on their Blackbox Reciever,simply should have known better.

What has happend:
    On the 27th of march 2008 the Gemini 4.3.1 DM500 including the new drivers was released by us.
    Since that time the so called "Time Bomb" was active and at some point started to delete the boot loader of the Clone boxes that used the image.
    An announcement was displayed that said:"Warning - clone box detected -system stop. Contact your dealer - adios amigo!"
    Afterwards the box shut down and didn't boot anymore.
    Deleted was the part that is necessary to boot software on the box,this part was under license of DreamMultimedia.
    This license includes that this part of the sofware can only be used for the Dreambox STB.
    Usage on other hardware is completly prohibited and therefor illegal!
    The problem is,that the deleted part is the,so to speak,bios.Similiar to the bios of a PC and without this bios the box won't boot.
    The weired thing about all this is,that these cloneboxes,had this DMM software pre-installed,some of them even had the Gemini image pre-installed on it.
    Which meant a DMM license violation right from the beginning.
    So it must be completly logical to everyone,that DMM(the rightful owner of this software) had to start countermessures at some point.
    We the IHAD Board and Gemini Team support this action,that was taken by DMM,but were also supprised by the harshness of the action.
    Cause as it seems the box can only be "resurected" with a hardware based operation(JTAG) that writes the booloader back to the chip.
    Which brings us right back to the license problem,cause there is no alternative,free software/bootloader made available by the manufactor of the cloneboxs for these kind of STBs.
    So it basically would be illegal too,to write the DMM software back to the chip of the unlicend STB.

Why we decided to close the board:
    Over the last couple of days many users have registered at IHAD,that were affected by the "Time Bomb" and their insults and acusations knew no boundaries.
    And as we,after 2 days,didn't see and end to all this ,we decided to close the board.
    We just couldn't accept this kind of treatment towards us,cause we have no responsebility whatsoever,regarding the actions that were taken by DMM.
    They were the only ones that had knowledge about the countermessures that were taken.
    Nevertheless,we do take general responsebility for actively working against these clones.Which we already stated on several occasions in the past.
    We are all Dreambox fans and our hobby is made possible by the products developed and sold by DreamMultimedia and we would practically work against ourselfs,if we wouldn't act against these cloned STBs.
    It simply can not be in our interest that manufactors, that are not involved in the developing process,take profits from the real developers.
    The posting of real adresses of IHAD Team members and statements like:"I would like to pet their backs with my baseball bat."
    and such, simply were beyond all manners.
    And so we closed the doors of the IHAD board.

How you can support us:
    Support the IHAD and fight against clones.
    Use these pictures as avatars and/or signature on all boards that you are registered.
    Show your support for the IHAD and express your opinion about clones.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hx1yamaha wrote: »
    Nobody but NOBODY has the divine right to deliberately send out software to crash yr box

You & all the rest should combine & sue the pants off them
    After all they are very quick to employ ambulance chasing lawyers to stop up supplies of unapproved kit & add ons

In the uk I am sure this would be thought of as a criminal act
    After all you can buy a kit car that looks like another make & uses similar parts without fear of the main makers taking yr kit forcibly & crushing it

They certainly do if that box was produced and loaded with counterfeit software to which the clone manufacturers and their customers have no rights to use. The onus is on the manufacturer and retailers of those clone boxes to write and provide a boot software that is not a blatant copy of someone elses work. All DMM have done is effectively remove their software from boxes it should never have been on, the receiver is not damaged in any way and could very easily be fixed by loading new boot software to the box. I suppose you also support the sale of pirated software and DVDs which is what you are doing here with your condemnation of DMM for protecting their own software.

To fit your analogy of a kit car then the clone makers should write their own software rather than steal it - kit car makers do not get away with pinching the intellectual rights of other car makers and putting that other makers badges on it. The badges state what the car actually is NOT just what it looks like,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fully agree with your statement Dave but what about people (like me ) who bought the box THINKING it was Original to find its a clone,also the guy who we bought off who is in the same s**t.Not everyone is an expert who can spot a clone 5miles away.On that maybe we should close the subject.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fully agree with your statement Dave but what about people (like me ) who bought the box THINKING it was Original to find its a clone,also the guy who we bought off who is in the same s**t.Not everyone is an expert who can spot a clone 5miles away.On that maybe we should close the subject.

I sympathise totally with any customer who has been caught out by any counterfeit goods NUT the responsibility lies totally with those retailing them and their wholesale distributors, The whole market place for many products from clothes, electronic equipment, toys, car parts and even aeroplane parts is riddled with counterfeits. Customers must start taking them back and demanding refunds after all the sale to them was fraudulent, it is then up to those retailers to seek recompense from their suppliers. Remember if a price seems to good to be true then there is almost certainly something wrong or criminal to it (with the exception of surplus remaindered/end of line items).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave,if I was in the UK I would be tempted to take the retailer on BUT I am not I am in Qatar in the Middle East very hard to make waves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    There's another side to this story. There are other satellite and cable receivers that use the same hardware architecture as the DM500 (and are legitimately sold under different names) that have been affected by this 'timebomb'. The Dreambox platform is not copyrighted (as Dream Multimedia themselves 'borrowed' it from a defunct Nokia design).

DMM claim they took this measure to protect their software copyright, but they have been handing their software out freely to third party developers for years to allow them to produce customised versions.

DMM claim it was only the 'bootloader' (ie. the bit that makes the box start up) that was their copyright, but that has to be proved as most of these 'clone' boxes actually come from the factories in China that Dream contracted to produce boxes for them, so they should check very carefully the terms of their licensing agreement with these factories (that is how Intel lost their exclusive right to the x86 instruction set to arch rivals AMD as originally AMD was a licensed chip producer for Intel!!)

Before anyone panics though, if you have one of these other boxes chances are you will be well aware of it, and the timebomb will only hit you if you have personally installed a particular version of the firmware for it (ie. Gemini 4.3.1).

DMM took the law into their own hands with this and, like with many vigilantes, innocent bystanders got injured by their actions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've looked into this a bit further and it turns out that no part of the Dreambox design intellectual property (either hardware or software) actually belongs to Dream Multimedia.

The only part they actually laid claim to in order to justify this destroying of receivers (ie. the 'bootloader') wasn't theirs to claim as it is supplied freely by IBM to anyone who uses the IBM PowerPC processor in their hardware (which all Dreamboxes do).

The rest of the software they nicked from the Nokia dBox2 (an old cable receiver sold only in Germany), and ironically they stole an old, bug-ridden version of it which is how they've been caught out in their claims as the Dreamboxes have the same bugs!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just an update,got my Dreambox back all working again but no Gemini images, has an even better and more stable image onboard. Dream-of -Pirates.