Options

EE: 12 Years ago today since Tiffany Mitchell died in 1998.

molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19Zer-UPpE

12 years ago today Tiffany Mitchell was killed by Frank in a car accident as she was fleeing the square trying to get daughter Courtney from Grant & died just as the clocks struck midnight into 1999. It was quite an outroar at the time with TIffany being a soap favourite and being so vastly axed from the show.

Such a soap moment though! So do you remember watching it live as it happened? I vaguely remember it :)

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_boyFrankie_boy Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Loved Tiff. I remember this like it was yesterday. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Well i was 8 years old at the time and don't remember watching it live although i remembered parts of it, so it must of been on in my house but i wasn't paying alot of attention. i do however a remember a few years after for the eastenders 15th anniversary, they did a phone vote for the classic episode they were gonna show again and tiffany's death ended up winning and i remember clearly watching that when it aired. It was an amazing episode and i'm this was aroubd the same time (eastenders 15th anniversary) that Martine had her song Perfect moment which was really huge for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder when we'll see Courtney rocking it in Walford. Must be on the cards surely! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder when we'll see Courtney rocking it in Walford. Must be on the cards surely! :D

Remember what Aunt Sal said about her?! its on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAQ_M2W0o8

That was Hilarious! Maybe it's true lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Remember what Aunt Sal said about her?! its on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAQ_M2W0o8

I love Sal!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do remember this; it was brilliant. I was gutted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love Sal!

I know she's great ain't she! And the thing she said about Ben having a 6ft boyfriend named daisy looool
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know she's great ain't she! And the thing she said about Ben having a 6ft boyfriend named daisy looool

My favourite EE one liner!!! :D
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another delightful family get together. :D:D:D
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant believe its been 12 years! gone so quick! thinking about when she hit her head on the pavement makes me shudder!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    New Years in eastenders seem to be a terrible moment.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    I was in Amsterdam at the time.
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there was a thread about this two years ago on here about her 10th anniversary. i still cant belive she was killed off, the silly writor was horrible. she was supposed to be there for years, i belive she would still be in it today had she not been killed off.
  • Options
    solace2008solace2008 Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Gentleguy, I was always under the impression that it was Martine McCutcheon's own decision to leave, and not the writer's choice. She wanted to leave to persue a music career (which unfortunately proved to be short-lived).
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solace2008 wrote: »
    Hey Gentleguy, I was always under the impression that it was Martine McCutcheon's own decision to leave, and not the writer's choice. She wanted to leave to persue a music career (which unfortunately proved to be short-lived).

there was a documentary about her a few years back she only wanted some tme off but writors didnt like that, she also claimed it was unfair as many other characters at the time were taking breaks and returned but as soon as she wanted a break the world came to an end. if you go on youtube and type martine mcuatean documenary you may find it.
  • Options
    propermintpropermint Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcDhbRN8Cxs&feature=related

it was called you can't fire me, I'm famous
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those were the days when Albert Square witnessed a tragedy once every couple of years as opposed to every other month!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think alot of people said ''how can Tiff die from a minor hit like that'' but I believe what killed her was the fact a week or so before she fell down the stairs and her head was still tender so when she hit the pavement it was sort of the final blow.

Loved Tiff :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I was only 5 when that happened. It was so sad. It was a good episode though :)
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    propermint wrote: »
    Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcDhbRN8Cxs&feature=related

it was called you can't fire me, I'm famous

"Martine McCutcheon is one of Britains biggest stars"

.... no shes not!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

More BS from Piers:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OhFudge wrote: »
    I was only 5 when that happened. It was so sad. It was a good episode though :)

It was very gripping, especially when Tiffany & Grant had the final showdown at the vic before she died.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    :sleep::sleep::sleep:

A good episode that capped an otherwise boring and repetitive storyline. By the time she died, I was pretty glad. Tiffany was a very good character in her first year and a half. A "slapper" version of Sharon. But after she married Grant it just went down hill.... she became so oppressed and dreary. Even her clothes went from bright and sharpish to black and dowdy.

Obviously its understandable given she married a thug like Grant, and I suppose in a way it was interesting to watch how a horrible, violent, oppressive man can change a woman... but unfortunately I don't think that was what the writers had in mind. Instead, they just had Tiffany feeling sorry for herself, mopping about, so by the time she was leaving it was good.

I enjoyed everything in this episode up until the end.... the actually running over bit I felt a bit laughable. Part of the problem also is that McCutcheon was never the worlds greatest actor and she struggled to do serious, highly dramatic scenes.

Killing her off was a good decision at the time. In hindsight it may be wrong, but no one back then would have known how few long term established characters EE would loose in the next 10 years, so that a middling-level character like Tiffany (in terms of the show's history) would be a godsend now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well i was 8 years old at the time and don't remember watching it live although i remembered parts of it, so it must of been on in my house but i wasn't paying alot of attention. i do however a remember a few years after for the eastenders 15th anniversary, they did a phone vote for the classic episode they were gonna show again and tiffany's death ended up winning and i remember clearly watching that when it aired. It was an amazing episode and i'm this was aroubd the same time (eastenders 15th anniversary) that Martine had her song Perfect moment which was really huge for a while.

Hardly surprising the episode won.... it was only shown 2 years before the 15th anniversary, so it was the last really dramatic big event episode. Polls always favour recent events.

Try topping polls in 20 years time like the Den and Angie stuff constantly does.... that is more of a sign of impact and longevity. It's been 10 years since the Tiffany death episode and in another 10 years I think people will barely remember it. It only occasionally makes "great episode" lists these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gentleguy wrote: »
    there was a documentary about her a few years back she only wanted some tme off but writors didnt like that, she also claimed it was unfair as many other characters at the time were taking breaks and returned but as soon as she wanted a break the world came to an end. if you go on youtube and type martine mcuatean documenary you may find it.

That was VERY presumptuous of McCutcheon. Honestly, do you think if her music career had actually taken off that she'd have been back??? Of course not. She was basically saying: I want to stop being in EE because I want to try music, but if I fail I want you to bring me back.

It isn't up to her what happens to her character. When she said she was not renewing her contract, the writers decide - actors do not get a say in it unless their characters are REALLY important. And despite what some on her may wish, Tiffany was not important enough for the "door to be left open".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think the silence of her death scene is what is more eerie/touching about it. However on the clips of it by the BBC they seem to have edited it a bit, in the OP there's no clip of Bianca saying 'she's dead!' and other bits cut, wonder why the BBC do this :confused: