Driver: San Francisco

AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This will be the fifth game in Ubisoft's main Driver franchise which started in 1999 with the original Driver for the PlayStation and was last seen with Driver: Parallel Lines in 2006 on the Xbox and PlayStation 2.

The game was officially unveiled at E3 2010 after years of rumours about a new driver game. It was originally going to be released in November 2010 but has now been pushed back to January - March 2011. It will be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii.

The plot of the game takes place a few months after the events of Driv3r and you take control of John Tanner in a huge 208 mile open world recreation of the city of San Francisco featuring famous landmarks such as the Transamerica Pyramid and Golden Gate Bridge.

Driver: San Francisco will introduce a new gameplay feature called "Shift", which allows the player to shift into other cars at will depending on your needs. The player can recharge the Shift meter by doing things like long powerslides, big jumps and driving into incoming trafic.
  • In the game you will not be able to exit vehicles and walk around on foot.
  • There will be an online multiplayer mode featuring nine different game modes.
Also, for the first time in the series, the game will include over 120 fully damageable licensed vehicles.

Confirmed cars so far...

Abarth 1000 TC
2008 Abarth 500
2009 Alfa Romeo 159
2007 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ2
2009 Alfa Romeo MiTo
Alfa Romeo Spider
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Audi S5
Bentley Continental Supersports
2010 Bentley Mulsanne
1981 De Lorean DMC 12
1970 Dodge Challenger
1969 Dodge Charger
2009 Dodge Charger
1974 Dodge Monaco
2002 Dodge Neon
2006 Dodge Ram SRT-10
1999 Ford Crown Victoria
Mack Titan
2011 McLaren MP4-12C
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
RUF CTR
RUF CTR3
RUF RK Spyder
RUF RT 12
1966 Shelby Cobra
1967 Shelby GT500

Can't wait for this!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    This is shaping up to be pretty good i reckon :)

Loved the original Driver game, And the hills of San Fran always made for some impressive police chases, which normally ended up with 4 cop cars rolling down a hill towards you :D
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the next GTA will be out after?
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the next GTA will be out after?

There was a four year gap between San Andreas and GTA IV so I'd expect at least another four years before we get GTA 5.

Grand Theft Auto: Sand Andreas - 2004
    Grand Theft Auto IV - 2008
    Grand Theft Auto 5 - 2012?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the game does look good.
    I may get this on Ps3 when it comes out.

Are they any others like this?

Ones I know of or Just Cause 2 and Mafia II and The Saboteur.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I've had a quick go of the multiplayer (you can read the preview here - subtle promotion I know ;)) and while the Shift mechanic sounds daft in terms of story, in practice it works rather well. It sounds like it'll tie into the progression in an interesting way too - certainly on my radar.
  • VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the poor mans GTA isn't it? I can remember the earlier versions being decent but it went pear shaped with driv3r in my opinon.

And the basis of this game sounds daft!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vinnienet wrote: »
    This is the poor mans GTA isn't it?

Kind of.

The original Driver was just a car chase getaway game with the emphasis firmly on driving. It was only the sequels that became GTA clones.

Driver: San Francisco is supposedly trying to return to the roots of the franchise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Vinnienet wrote: »
    This is the poor mans GTA isn't it? I can remember the earlier versions being decent but it went pear shaped with driv3r in my opinon.

And the basis of this game sounds daft!

The shift mechanic sounds interesting from a gameplay point of view, but plotwise, completely insane. We'll just have to wait and see how they deal with it.

The first 2 Driver games came out before GTA III, but didn't attract quite so much attention, possibly because you played a cop, and couldn't run over pedestrians even if you tried :)

And yes, the awkwardly named Driv3r was where it all went wrong. I think it tried too hard to be like GTA, when it didn't need to.
  • PoisonDwarf18PoisonDwarf18 Posts: 6,902
    Forum Member
    AppleTango wrote: »
    • In the game you will not be able to exit vehicles and walk around on foot.

That sounds terrible. :(:cry:

I'll still get it though as it looks good and I've always been a fan of the Driver series. :cool:
  • emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, can't wait for this game, have been waiting for years for it, LOL

Sadly it does not look as good as previous games but I've been waiting so long for a new installment that I'd play any game that had the DRIVER brand on it. :D

Anyway, I have a website which has all the latest news and stories about Driver, the address
    is www.ultimatedriver.net

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this but mods, feel free to remove it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game has been delayed until at least April 2011.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Release date now officially confirmed for September 2011.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks pretty good I really enjoyed the first 2 on the PSone I will probably look to get this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    looking forward to this, love the driver series