Pointless - quiz show on BBC1 (Part 7)

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to have to pass on this one. I'm not even sure I know what Colin Farrell looks like!

He's an Irish actor quite tall and slim with stubble.
    Looks like the genetic offspring of George Clooney and Robert Downy Jnr and Mel Gibson
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love In Bruges, got one of my favourite scenes ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d6FBBWlu3k
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love In Bruges, got one of my favourite scenes ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d6FBBWlu3k

So do I, brilliant film.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Film in the final category is getting very boring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Phone Booth
    The Imaganarium of Dr Parnassus
    Daredevil

Woohoo!
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Going to have to pass on this one. I'm not even sure I know what Colin Farrell looks like!

Whenever I think of Colin Farrell I always picture Colin Firth as I've not a clue what Farrell looks like
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done pointlessers:)
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »

About time that a couple picked Spanish Pop:D
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why they don't always pick the geography related questions. Then answer Kiribati or Micronesia or Vanuatu. Guaranteed win.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Oh my god, that's put me off my tea:(

:D:D
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Contestants always seem to pick the film or pop music categories, then get asked to name works by an actor or performer they are not very familiar with, and fail to win.

Both these categories encompass a huge selection of possible answers - they should leave these alone, and go for a more restricted category, such as world leaders or tennis stars.
  • seawitchseawitch Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have thought that with Grace claiming to be an actress doing mainly theatre work, they'd have gone for European playwrights.
  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how many points 'The Way Back' would've got. I would've said that along with In Bruges and Fright Night. Gutted I completely forgot he was in Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for Veronica Guerin, Tigerland and Hart's War. Farrell was only in Veronica Guerin for a minute, if that, hence I knew it would be pointless. He had a brief chat with Blanchett on a street and that's about it.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Richard "Grace, what do you do?"
    Grace : "I'm an actor"
    Richard : "what would we have seen you in?"

Erm.......Greggs:D

Genius
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

I love the film category. When the 'trilogies' subject came up a week or so ago - I actually got three of the pointless answers.

Tonight I only got American Outlaws (but I must admit - I always thought it was a made-for-tv movie).
  • Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Film can be a good category though because it doesn't rely on actually knowing anything about the subject apart from titles and who was in them. With other categories it seems like you either know them or you don't - eg World Leaders - and there's much less chance you could have come across the answers in your daily life. With films though you can sometimes get a pointless answer without having seen them at all - just by seeing trailers, adverts or clips. You can amass a lot of knowledge about which actors were in which films just by catching those things on TV. Even people who don't watch a lot of films could have amassed a lot of such basic knowledge whereas if you're talking about books or plays, the average person is less likely to have come across answers that are going to be pointless. Even if you read a lot you may not be able to come up with an obscure title for a specific author and subjects like books don't often come up in daily life so much.

Although I have to say that sometimes contestants probably talk themselves out of trying one of the other categories because they think something like Film will be easier since they have more general knowledge about it - but it may be that they would have actually had the right knowledge to do something 'harder' like Geography but didn't want to take the chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Golem Xof wrote: »
    Film can be a good category though because it doesn't rely on actually knowing anything about the subject apart from titles and who was in them. With other categories it seems like you either know them or you don't - eg World Leaders - and there's much less chance you could have come across the answers in your daily life. With films though you can sometimes get a pointless answer without having seen them at all - just by seeing trailers, adverts or clips. You can amass a lot of knowledge about which actors were in which films just by catching those things on TV. Even people who don't watch a lot of films could have amassed a lot of such basic knowledge whereas if you're talking about books or plays, the average person is less likely to have come across answers that are going to be pointless. Even if you read a lot you may not be able to come up with an obscure title for a specific author and subjects like books don't often come up in daily life so much.

Although I have to say that sometimes contestants probably talk themselves out of trying one of the other categories because they think something like Film will be easier since they have more general knowledge about it - but it may be that they would have actually had the right knowledge to do something 'harder' like Geography but didn't want to take the chance.

TBH, I don't like it at the moment because it's a bit boring getting the same subjects all the time. I actually feel the same with Geography, and the old familiar answers. Just like a bit of novelty.

Don't really blame the contestants going for it though. Yet every day it seems a choice.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prevening all.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everrnings
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man this sounds hard