Spoilers & Information Beginning to Come In (Part 2)

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some desire to see Ian return with the Coal Hill stuff over on GB. Also highlighted that WR was due to appear in the 50th but was ill so couldn't take part. Maybe next time..
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see Ian in an episode but it doesn't really look like he's going to appear though.
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I'd like to see Ian in an episode but it doesn't really look like he's going to appear though.

Could the original actor return? i know that Ian and Barbra supposedly havent aged since the 60's according to Sarah in the Death of the Doctor. so if moff continues this story then they would need a new actor to play him :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Listen" to air at 7:30pm - I can't handle this regularity.
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    Could the original actor return? i know that Ian and Barbra supposedly havent aged since the 60's according to Sarah in the Death of the Doctor. so if moff continues this story then they would need a new actor to play him :)

Nice thought by RTD, but I think it was a bit unhelpful so close to the 50th. If William was indeed to return in the special, then we can probably rule out a recast.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jxbrenna wrote: »

Well Sarah did say it was just a rumour so they could ignore it if they wanted to.

Or if they acknowledge it they could have Ian say something like.

*For a while we didn't seem to age at all, we were in our fifties and still looked like we did the first day we met the Doctor. Some side effect of Tardis travel maybe or more likely that last trip in the Dalek Time Ship. Finally the years started catching up with us, myself more than Barbara though, when she died a few years back she was almost 80 but didn't look a day over 60."
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Well Sarah did say it was just a rumour so they could ignore it if they wanted to.

Or if they acknowledge it they could have Ian say something like.

*For a while we didn't seem to age at all, we were in our fifties and still looked like we did the first day we met the Doctor. Some side effect of Tardis travel maybe or more likely that last trip in the Dalek Time Ship. Finally the years started catching up with us, myself more than Barbara though, when she died a few years back she was almost 80 but didn't look a day over 60."

That would be a neat and lovely way of doing it. :)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I think Listen is great.

I also think that some people are going to HATE it :D

How will they hate an episode that has, for me (and this is no exaggeration), a top 3 performance of any new series Doctor? As well as it being Moffat's best single episode since Blink...?

Ok, fair enough, I can think of a couple of reasons why it could potentially get slagged off.
    One being the last 5 minutes...the Doctor as a child! :o Discovering he's always been afraid of the dark, and Clara being there...some people will be rolling their eyes but I thought it was done really well. The other thing people may mention is the fact that there is no monster, or we don't see one... The real monster is fear.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this one again. It's gonna be discussed for quite some time, methinks! :cool:
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if we're allowed to discuss that now performingmonk even in tags. But yeah, I loved it too. Ep 5 is solid as well, can see why they're hyping the teller, reminded me of the Destroyer from Battlefield, but better executed.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will they hate an episode that has, for me (and this is no exaggeration), a top 3 performance of any new series Doctor? As well as it being Moffat's best single episode since Blink...?

Without wanting to reveal any more - because of the resolution. I can definitely see some parts of fandom thinking it's a cop out and hating Clara's role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    https://twitter.com/paulwhitelaw
    Oh my. Ep 4 of #DoctorWho is extraordinary. Hats off to @drmuig for nailing, quite beautifully, an odd, ambitious, wonderful bit of TV.

First official TV critic reaction, i.e with no ingrained prejudices one way or the other, to the episode.
  • Carbon ProductsCarbon Products Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I havnt seen the episode but going by the script Listen is very sweet and gives more of an understanding of the Doctor. Maybe people will start warming to him after it?
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I havnt seen the episode but going by the script Listen is very sweet and gives more of an understanding of the Doctor. Maybe people will start warming to him after it?

I hope so.

It's certainly one of Moffat's interesting scripts to date.
  • mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    That provides a pretty big plot point though so not sure how I feel about that.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mccollough wrote: »

Does it? - i know nothing about this episode not having either read scripts or seen leaked episodes but knowing that
    someone is decapitated at the end
    doesn't tell me anything - if they'd named the character in the article perhaps but they didn't (unless they've subsequently edited the piece).
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can see why they felt they had to do it. Not sure how they'll make it run smoothly with the cut though.
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Does it? - i know nothing about this episode not having either read scripts or seen leaked episodes but knowing that
    someone is decapitated at the end
    doesn't tell me anything - if they'd named the character in the article perhaps but they didn't (unless they've subsequently edited the piece).

It's not so much the decapitation, but what it reveals about one of the characters... Unless they can edit it to reveal this another way I'm not sure how the end will work.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not so much the decapitation, but what it reveals about one of the characters... Unless they can edit it to reveal this another way I'm not sure how the end will work.

Ah sorry, my misinterpretation of your original post I think, I see what you mean now.....
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I can see why they felt they had to do it. Not sure how they'll make it run smoothly with the cut though.

Thats the worry I have about it will it flow and will it still be the same story?
    (I havent seen the leaked material BTW so I dont know how it would have gone without the edit)
    Also the music score would surely be off time as well?

I feel they should have made the decision to perhaps hold the episode back a few weeks and give the original production team the time to redo the episode properly without the beheading.
    They would have had to cut the preview clip from last weeks episode though so that they could then just say they had changed their mind about the order of the episodes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @rtalalay · 7h
    Planets in the title sequence -- worth a closer look. #DoctorWho

I guess three of them are passable for the planets seen in episode 2 - if they're supposed to be locations seen in S8. Another is rather moon-like.

Eh, too early to say for sure.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It all depends on how much is edited. If the whole scene is cut, then that's a big important plot point, and I can't imagine how this would work.
    Is it not more likely that only the actual decapitation will be excised, and that the sequence leading up to it, and the aftermath of it will still be shown. A rejigged reaction shot or something could easily fill in for what would previously have been shown.
    Let's see.
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    It all depends on how much is edited. If the whole scene is cut, then that's a big important plot point, and I can't imagine how this would work.
    Is it not more likely that only the actual decapitation will be excised, and that the sequence leading up to it, and the aftermath of it will still be shown. A rejigged reaction shot or something could easily fill in for what would previously have been shown.
    Let's see.

Thats my thinking, they'll cut it so that "it" still happens, just not so on screen... maybe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filming begins tomorrow. Brace yourselves as I'm sure it won't be long before we learn of Jenna's future.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Filming begins tomorrow. Brace yourselves as I'm sure it won't be long before we learn of Jenna's future.

What are they filming? The Christmas episode?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    What are they filming? The Christmas episode?

Indeed. Paul Wilmshurst is back for more - though we have yet to enjoy his previous episodes.
This discussion has been closed.