Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Support The Afghanistan War?

GnobeGnobe Posts: 462
Forum Member
Am I the only one who doesn's support the afghanistan war here?

It's just that I've become totally disillusioned with it and can't understand why and what purpose we are still there and what outcome is likely to come out of it. At the expense of our troops dying weekly.

Nearly everyone I speak to seems to be supporting and I'm finding I'm the only one out of my friends who isn't.

Anyone else or am I the only one here?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't either. Fighting the Afghans seems to be a pointless exercise and always has been whatever the reason we've done it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gnobe wrote: »

It's just that I've become totally disillusioned with it and can't understand why and what purpose we are still there and what outcome is likely to come out of it. At the expense of our troops dying weekly.

Nearly everyone I speak to seems to be supporting and I'm finding I'm the only one out of my friends who isn't.

I have never supported the Afghan war.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    i dont
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    It is a totally pointless and unwinnable war, wasting billions of pounds and thousands of lives. The troops should be brought home now.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, you'd be amazed at how many people don't. The War has noting to do with terrorism (except from the side that invaded of course); it's all about global strategic positioning.

A very lucrative place to be :cool:
  • Bea*Bea* Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    OP, you'd be amazed at how many people don't. The War has noting to do with terrorism (except from the side that invaded of course); it's all about global strategic positioning.

A very lucrative place to be :cool:

Don't forget the $trillion in minerals!

Afghanistan may have more than a trillion dollars worth of untapped mineral deposits, a spokesman for the ministry of mines has suggested.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10311752
  • gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With the greatest respect my dear Gnobe, I thought you didn't have any friends.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1231344&highlight=#3
  • PFKA EBPFKA EB Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im reading a book written by a former ATO in Iraq atm, I know its a different theatre but from reading his book and how the locals treated the forces out there I dont understand how or why we ever got involved...ok I know its Oil but reading this book you see how it was a massive waste of lives and resources.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-One-Disposal-Expert-Front/dp/0297860550

it is a no BS retelling of his tour over there, very raw and very real All politicians should be made to read it and then if they voted for it they should personally apologise to every single soldier who went out there.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must have missed all the many threads here where FMs criticised the war then. Opposition to Iraq and Afghanistan actions is probably the majority view in this forum.

I'll admit that back in 2001 I felt that as long as the operation was limited solely to flushing out terrorist training camps I supported it. However once escalation into Iraq began (which apart from anything else allowed the Taliban to comeback even stronger in Afghanistan) it was clear the war was increasingly a failure, not to mention the death and destruction which it created.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't.

As far as I'm concerned Afghanistan has been our "Vietnam" or "Somalia".

I support our Armed Forces, I don't support the reason why they are they and TBH I would have withdrawn them years ago.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never supported it. We were sold it on the basis of removing terrorists and catching OBL. All that's happened is they've moved to neighbouring countries like Pakistan. While it's good we removed the Taliban from power, we've installed a fragile puppet government that will fall apart the moment we leave it seems. Lot's of civilians and soldiers would have died for nothing.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

You are not alone - Afghanistan has been the graveyard of Empires for the best part of 800 years; everyone from Gengis Khan via the British Empire, the Russians and now the Americans have come a cropper invading the country.

Not convinced that we needed to invade.

That said having destroyed the countries infrastructure - we have a moral duty to actually repair the damage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's utterly pointless and a waste of lives that will ultimatly achieve nothing,
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    It is a totally pointless and unwinnable war, wasting billions of pounds and thousands of lives. The troops should be brought home now.
    Not sure it's unwinnable.

Even the Taliban are tiring of it.

I'm not convinced it was worth it, but stating it is unwinnable is a bit of a cliche.
  • Stewart65Stewart65 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Definitely winnable.

I was watching Fox News this morning and they were saying America was kicking butt over there!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewart65 wrote: »
    Definitely winnable.

I was watching Fox News this morning and they were saying America was kicking butt over there!

They've been 'kicking butt' for many years - but still it goes on. Despite superior modern weaponry. A cynic would say 'winning' was not the objective. But why we want to drag this out for years, I have no idea.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely winnable.

If Fox News say the Yanks are winning, it's a sure fire bet that the US are having their asses handed to them, badly.

Truth<
    > Fox News
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never did. Assuming terrorists residing in desolate regions of Afghanistan were the target I can't understand why they needed men on the ground to remove them with all the precision hardware they have in the air.
    Drop a small extraction team to mop up the mess afterwards by all means but airlift them straight back out again.

So what if the Taliban might not have liked the idea. They didn't have to stick their oar in
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should never have got involved in Afghanistan and should withdraw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Afghanistan is you're not fighting against an opposing forces in combats like conventional warfare, you're fighting against those who hide amongst civilians.
    They can't just pull out though, they done that with Iraq first time around which made things worse second time around.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2233 wrote: »
    No it's utterly pointless and a waste of lives that will ultimatly achieve nothing,

So, the fact that girls can now go to school and women have rights made the Invasion "utterly pointless"?

Of course, many things have gone wrong and the whole thing should have been better planned from the beginning - but the original aim was right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    So, the fact that girls can now go to school and women have rights made the Invasion "utterly pointless"?

Of course, many things have gone wrong and the whole thing should have been better planned from the beginning - but the original aim was right.

Err that wasn't the original aim though and it is not the job of the UK to indulge in military intervention in other countries to improve the rights of women or any other group.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Bea* wrote: »
    Don't forget the $trillion in minerals!

Afghanistan may have more than a trillion dollars worth of untapped mineral deposits, a spokesman for the ministry of mines has suggested.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10311752

One is tempted to say that Iraq and Afghanistan and a few other places before them were more to do with big money and exerting influence in a particular region of the world than anything else.

Certainly the Taliban are a bunch of brutal lunatics who ideally would be exterminated but in truth our troops are not fighting for human dignity and humanity and certainly not to "protect" us at home.

The moron Blair used to spin that line and we all know what he is, don't we?
  • Stewart65Stewart65 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Err that wasn't the original aim though and it is not the job of the UK to indulge in military intervention in other countries to improve the rights of women or any other group.

Oh he we go another isolationist. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh he we go another isolationist. :rolleyes:

Rather that than a selective ideological military interventionist that costs lives. There are numerous countries such intervention could be justified on the same basis as is often used for Afghanistan, I assume you support similar military intervention there.