"Afraid of a Da-like"

davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
Forum Member
Interesting article on page 31 of The Sun today:
Afraid of a Da-like

Daleks are so scary because people are afraid of becoming like them, an academic claims.
The Doctor Who villains have terrified kids since 1963 with their metallic cry: "Exterminate!"
But Cambride University's Dr Robert Bunce thinks they actually frighten us because they once had hearts and felt emotion. He said: "They are the future we dread."
A new Who series starts on Saturday.

Interesting theory. For me, the Daleks' appeal comes from more than that, but I can see where Dr Bunce is coming from. Perhaps, in future, we could have a Dalek story that relies on body-horror etc, like the Cyber stories do?

There's also an amusing picture in the TV Biz section: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3534284/Beware-Daleks-crossing.html

Discuss :)

Comments

• DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Interesting article on page 31 of The Sun today:

Interesting theory. For me, the Daleks' appeal comes from more than that, but I can see where Dr Bunce is coming from. Perhaps, in future, we could have a Dalek story that relies on body-horror etc, like the Cyber stories do?

There's also an amusing picture in the TV Biz section: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3534284/Beware-Daleks-crossing.html

Discuss :)

Tosh imo, the daleks are popular simply because they are so good at evil and are a fantastic creation.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the coldness of them and the way that they will never give mercy is the thing for me.

I remember being young and going to an opening of a shop when a dalek came out screming exterminate...scared the living daylights out of me
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I think the Dalek's are scary for the same reason tanks were to the German troops during WWI. They just keep coming - nothing stops them, or scares them.

That I think is something that has been lost in New Who.

(PS I really hate the new design - not the colours, after all the Daleks were coloured in their movie appearance(s) - but the Megane like back and having the plungers on a plastic bumper that looks like it has been nicked from a 1970's era MGB - but then I might be biased when it comes to the original design).
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    There was a quick spot about this on BBC Breakfast this morning saying it is the voice that actually makes them scary.

Are the Daleks really THAT scary? I've always found them a great villain, one of, if not the the greatest in all sci-fi, but not actually scary, even as a kid I was more than happy to sit in one on a merry go round ride.:D

Saying that Davros did put the willies up me as a kid, something about the way the rubber mask moved when he spoke. But the Daleks never scared me.