Options

When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And what are you now?

I wanted to be a marine biologist, now I'm a computer programmer. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I always wanted to be a journalist. That was the only thing I had ever wanted to be and I completely planned my life around it. Moved to London and did A LOT of internships, and realised it wasn't all that. I moved into publishing and do a bit of freelance writing now, so now I get to do all of the creative things without the PR agenda.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A police officer, since I was about 6. I think my parents hoped I'd grow out of it, but I never did. If I could become a police officer I'd do it without a second thought. :)

However, instead I got my Psychology degree last year, have applied for an MSc starting for next year, and will hopefully do further research, hopefully into policing, offending behaviours, etc etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A housewife.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Captain Kirk or Jim Kelly.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to be a gynaecologist or a brain surgeon:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bus driver, the buses back then had the "Half Cabs", so the driver sat on his own and did not or should I say could not collect fares as the conductor did that.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Mainly wanted to be a pilot, on some days though it was a cat or Jim Kirk. Today I'm a research engineer.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I honestly never had a clue what I wanted to be. Even after I left school, I still had no idea.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to be a brain surgeon until I was about nine, to please one of my parents. I don't know what I am now, and wouldn't like to define myself by how I currently make money. The thing that I've done most consistently over the years is dance, but I don't make my living through dance at the moment, though have done previously, so don't think I can call myself a dancer. Most of my time and thoughts are taken up with parenting, so maybe that's an appropriate label for myself, though I do have a full time job so it doesn't seem an entirely accurate label. Hmmn, maybe I've over thought the question? When I was studying, I readily identified as a student, wonder why I have such difficulty labelling myself now?
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Wanted to be a ballet dancer.

Became a nurse.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to work in tv. I always wanted to be a researcher. Instead I had an office job, had a baby and I am now unemployed. I tried to get runner jobs but no one wants me because now I'm too old, so I'll never become a researcher. Still really really want to do it though.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First i wanted to be a chef, then an airline pilot. Then by I think the age of 13 or so I wanted to be a lawyer so I could prance around in a wig and say 'I put it to you' all the time.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to be a librarian, with a nifty sideline in authorship when I got older.

I ended up in electronics, but now stay home and raise my kids.
  • Options
    LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wanted to be a writer or a binlady.

Now I work with children.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work in a sweet shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An astronaut and a F1 driver.

Work in progress, Im up to the part where I can see the stars whilst sat in my family saloon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prima Ballerina in the Royal Ballet, a broadway star and a spy all at once.

Now I'm a bar manager, studying law and working in Asda. Still want to be a spy though...
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always wanted to be a Lawyer, and I'm in Law School.

God damned aspirations.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    First I wanted to be a pilot on Concorde, then I wanted to work in Sainsburys and then I wanted to be a Pokemon trainer. Now I'm a law student.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to be an actress.

I am an English and Drama teacher, so not too far off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A tard.
  • Options
    Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=cnbcwatcher;62316642then I wanted to be a Pokemon trainer. [/QUOTE]

Cool :D

I wanted to work on a till or operate a lift :confused::eek: I work in insurance :o
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A policeman .. How naive of me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it happens, I always wanted to work with children or be a writer - and I still do.

I wanted to be a nanny, then a child psychologist then a journalist (until I realised they had to be quite mean about people) and then a nursery nurse.

As it is, I'm a teaching assistant, still hoping I'll one day get some fabulous idea down on paper and have my own book signing in WHSmith with a sparkly silver pen!

Might seem a bit sad I've never really had any great aspiration but I'm happy.

The one thing I've always known I want to be is a mum. I look forward to it!
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to be 'a scientist'. As a 10 year old girl I turned up at a fancy dress party dressed as Einstein :D

I'm now an accountant (well, still technically a trainee for a little while longer) in a Big 4 firm.