Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Not really surprised he's going due to the situation with the Champions League and European games going to BT, but surprised he's gone immediately though.
  • OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I have just discovered this thread in DS, and do wonder if, as mentioned in there this is one reason?
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Orchideam wrote: »
    I have just discovered this thread in DS, and do wonder if, as mentioned in there this is one reason?

It's the 'immediate effect' that seems odd though doesn't it? If they said he's going at the end of the season that'd make sense. Kicked to the kerb sounds a little more ....juicy :D

Gossipy....moi??
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Expect him to be announced as head of BT Sport's coverage soon then???
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    SportBible posted a few reactions:

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/adrian-chiles-axed-by-itv-the-internet-reacts

My favourite being this one from Xabi Alonso:

https://vine.co/v/MwgYQuh7nIZ
  • bigtunesbigtunes Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed this bit of news, from the article: The decision follows ITV's decision not to renew the contract of pundit Andy Townsend.

I for one will miss Townsend and his stating the bleeding obvious every 5 minutes.
  • tvphiltvphil Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a623752/adrian-chiles-replaced-by-mark-pougatch-on-itv-with-immediate-effect.html

Well done Mark Pougatch
    He is very good on Radio 5. Not sure what he is like on TV.

I thought Adrian Chiles was excellent on MOTD2 - the more informal / irreverent style of that programme suited him.
    He never looked like the right fit for the main presenter on ITV.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 8,962
    Forum Member
    What football (if any) are ITV going to have the rights to after this season?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

Hopefully none.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,596
    Forum Member

England Internationals, Euro 2016, World Cup 2018.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a great shock he was really poor at his job (as is ITV at broadcasting football) so there is no point keeping him around
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    SportBible posted a few reactions:

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/adrian-chiles-axed-by-itv-the-internet-reacts

My favourite being this one from Xabi Alonso:

https://vine.co/v/MwgYQuh7nIZ

Brilliant! :D:D:D
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    It's a bit tough on Andy Townsend, who will have to continue to the end of the season without the comfort of knowing there was an even bigger idiot in the studio.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i should not drink beer, i wondered why Adrian Chiles was trending on twitter

Then i found out, and i don't know why, but i've got a mess to clear up

Chiles was so bad as a presenter it was almost funny
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor Chiles. Punished for not supporting one of the top clubs.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pougatch's salary will probably be more reflective of ITV's dismal sport output. Wouldn't surprise me if ITV tried to get Chiles to present something else and he declined.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

That is total balderdash.

He lost his job cos he was not very good at it.

I am not a hater of him tho as some seem to be as he seems a normal regular guy who is a football fan - his book on his life time love affair with WBA is a good read, but he is not suited to the role ITV have given him and the sooner he gets back to roles which suit his gifts and personality the better for him. I hope his agent now finds a job for him with that in mind rather than one which earned him a lot of money cos to me it is clear that was why he went for the job not cos it was one he enjoyed.

Its a good lesson for all of us in whatever we do in life - do not chase money chase happiness and job satisfaction, that Is far more important.
  • daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    All I can say is - Thank Christ for that. Hope he never darkens our door again.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If that was the case Stelling would have been out of a job years ago.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The vast majority of TV football hosts throughout the ages supported very unfashionable clubs. Chiles' real crime was that he was a presenter with a face for radio and an accent that's never been embraced by the media. Which is a recoverable situation lf you're a sharp-witted, charismatic, magnet of a character. Sadly, he wasn't - as the general lack of wailing and gnashing of teeth suggests.

Kudos to him, though, he certainly maximized his opportunities.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Chiles should have been sacked ages ago. He can't speak. It doesn't matter which team he supports. Speaking coherently should be a basic requirement for a TV presenter.

"Welcome to errrra........the Camp Nou for this, for this.....errrrra.......important match in the in the errrrra.......Champions League......errrrra.......group stage"
  • daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Best he can be is radio. Got the looks of a great radio presenter.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He changes his jobs and channels like everyone else changes their underpants.

Nonetheless surprised at the stick he gets. He seems an ordinary guy, who enjoys football, not the ex pro fishing around for more work. Hes hardly that Otis guy, Channel 4 used for the athletics.

I prefer him to Linekers style any day. Ray Stubbs wasnt up to much for BT last year either.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chiles should have been sacked ages ago. He can't speak. It doesn't matter which team he supports. Speaking coherently should be a basic requirement for a TV presenter.

"Welcome to errrra........the Camp Nou for this, for this.....errrrra.......important match in the in the errrrra.......Champions League......errrrra.......group stage"

Actually I think David Pleat who can't even pronounce half the names of the players (Bennynoon) is far better than some more eloquent ones.

And one of the most well known pundits in Gaelic games is a barrister but it doesn't stop him talking rubbish.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Lineker's lucky that Leicester won the Champions League so much, his job's safe.