Do Hadouken have a point?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a196242/hadouken-lady-gaga-can-f-off.html

Hadouken front man James Smith has criticised Gaga for re-releasing her album.

Does he have a point, because Gaga must have made millions from the original album in a industry which is getting very tough, is it ethical to re-release the same album with a few songs extra?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the USA, The Fame Monster was released as a separate album too. For some reason it has not been here (Likely money).
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he does have a point.. he's right about KOL too. This may not be true but I heard one of the items on their clothing line is over £700..

I know that there'll be fanboys/girls of Lady Gaga (most of which would have never heard of Hadouken) saying things like "omg, who ar Hadouken!" "who do they think they are!" "How many records have they even sold!"
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    Yes he does have a point.. he's right about KOL too. This may not be true but I heard one of the items on their clothing line is over £700..

I know that there'll be fanboys/girls of Lady Gaga (most of which would have never heard of Hadouken) saying things like "omg, who ar Hadouken!" "who do they think they are!" "How many records have they even sold!"

Why do you always have to point out to everyone that record sales aren't everything? We get the point! And yes I do know who Hadouken! are.

In response to OP - to be fair to Lady Gaga, she said that The Fame Monster was a complete body of work and separate to The Fame, and she wanted it to be released as a whole new album - which it was in many countries, including America. Why it wasn't here I don't know, but I'm certain that wasn't Gaga's decision. Hadouken can blame her record label for that if anyone. But still, a re-release with 8 extra songs (and very good ones at that) is a lot better than the usual re-release with just 1 extra song and 1 or 2 remixes/videos.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I think he has a general point about artists releasing "Deluxe" versions of albums, as loads of them seem to do it these days and often the "Deluxe" version only has a few extra tracks. Bit of a rip-off, but it's just the record companies doing all they can to try to maximise sales.

The Lady Gaga album possibly isn't the best example of this being a rip-off, though, as it did at least include 8 extra tracks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    As much as I am a fan of artists such as Lady GaGa and Rihanna, I do think Hadouken have a point. Particularly in Rihanna's case...How many times did she release GGGB? 4 times I believe, the last one with the dvd of her tour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    They don't really have a point.

Music is a business, and if record labels can make money they will.

I'm sure if they were as big as Lady Gaga and KOL then they wouldn't be complaining at raking in the extra cash.

It's always smaller bands craving critical acclaim or very rich bands who criticise this kind of stuff.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    I bought the Fame Monster and like Lady Gaga but Im a fan of Hadouken too and totally agree with them.

The 8 new tracks are good but I so resented having to fork out again for an album I already owned. It was pure greed on Gagas part.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they've got a point. If I buy an album in good faith I expect the whole album.
    If the same album is then re-released with extra tracks I just steal the extra tracks off the internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    This is why I didn't buy Rihanna's GGGB until I knew she'd be moving on to a new album. I wish I'd picked up the one with the dvd, but I have the reloaded version instead. I purchased it recently. I kind of regret picking up her latest album only because there's a chance she'll re-release it with extra tracks in the future.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the Fame Monster and like Lady Gaga but Im a fan of Hadouken too and totally agree with them.

The 8 new tracks are good but I so resented having to fork out again for an album I already owned. It was pure greed on Gagas part.

No, it was on the record label's part. Like I said before - Gaga always said herself that The Fame Monster was a complete and separate piece of work to The Fame - and it did get released on it's own as an 8-track EP in America, amongst other countries. We were one of the unlucky countries in which the label didn't allow it to be released on it's own. Blame them, not the artist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't really have a point.

Music is a business, and if record labels can make money they will.

I'm sure if they were as big as Lady Gaga and KOL then they wouldn't be complaining at raking in the extra cash.

It's always smaller bands craving critical acclaim or very rich bands who criticise this kind of stuff.

Completely agree. I don't like buying deluxe albums nor should artists expect people to buy them but releasing them is an artists prerogative and whoever wants to buy them will. This type of attitude from people like him smacks of 'the peasants who buy pop music don't know what they're doing' - she's hardly holding a gun to their head.

I don't really think it's fair to use Gaga as an example of this either. I mean, she made a whole different LP instead of merely going the direction her label planned of releasing only a deluxe album. Beyoncé would've been a much better example to use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I guess they have a point about re-releases after all, but they shouldn't have brought GaGa into this. "The Fame Monster" is £10 for 24 tracks - very good value. And 8 new tracks is a good deal - unlike Alesha Dixon, who re-released her album with only three or four new tracks.
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't really got a problem with artists 'cashing in' on success and launching clothing lines ect. but certainly re-releasing albums with extra tracks is conning - plain and simple. Save them for the next album or release the 'new stuff' on it's own. It only seems to be mainstream pop artists that do this though, as the Hadouken! said, people who don't need to.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fame/Fame Monster release was good for me, as I hadn't bought the single album so I benefitted from the re-release of the original album with extra tracks.

Considering how some re-releases only add two new tracks or a few live performances, Lady Gaga has at least given her fans eight new songs which she wanted packaged as a whole new album.
  • Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He looks like a div kid in school from the late 80s.

He's just peddling his own album, which will probably suck.

It is unethical to release the same album with a couple of extra tracks and crummy photos, but then Gaga fans are probably not the brightest bunch out there and will lap it all up.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    Rihanna is set to release a Rated R remix album in february - http://www.rihannadaily.com/ (scroll down)

Anyone else slightly annoyed? :rolleyes:, I am though I'm a fan.
  • lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very much against the release of deluxe albums and re-released versions as IMO, it's a slap in the face to everyone who went out and bought it when it first came out, but in most instances, I doubt it's the artist who decides on this, most likely the record companies,

I for one, so far, have refused to buy the fame monster as I already have the fame and feel that UK fans should've been given the option, on iTunes at least, to get the 8 tracks as an EP