Options

Recommend me some German films!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
Forum Member
I really like German films it seems. I think it's because I have a basic grasp of the language but can't understand it completely. So, I can't tell if acting is cheesy or excellent so there's a barrier which has been removed (a lot of the time in British and American films I am put off by the acting, usually the cheesy voice and the way things are said).

I have watched quite a few but my favourites are:

- The Princess and the Warrior
- Goodbye Lenin!
- Run Lola Run
- The Wave
- The Edukators

(I seem to like Franka Potente and Daniel Brühl, ey!)

Basically, semi-pretentious, simple films are the best for me I think.

I do like films from other places, but I am currently on some kind of weird German film living trip.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just watched Sophie Scholl: The Final Days, which is recommended, as is Downfall. 2 German films about their Nazi past. Also The Baader Meinhof Complex about more recent history.

Fairly grim viewing, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    The Lives of Others. A brilliant film about a Stasi agent in East Berlin who is tasked with spying on a group of actors. It's not your usual spy thriller, though... it's much more subtle than that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitler
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    The Tin Drum.... although it did freak me out a little :o
  • Options
    BenBenBenBenBenBenBenBen Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    I've just watched a German language film on BBCi (with English subtitles) 'The Counterfeiters' is set in the war: A man convicted for forgery is placed, with others, in a concentration camp where they forged millions of British pounds for the nazis to use to undermine our economy. It is quite heavy in places. It's only available on BBCi for one more day (from Sunday 26th) but might be available from DVD libraries.

It won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 2008.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get much better than "Downfall".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers... keep them coming (I'm looking them up :p). I forgot to mention I'm not a big fan of the Hitler and war thing, in terms of on film I mean.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not what youre after but...Metropolis.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Lost Honour Of Katharina Blum
    The Girl From Zoo Station
    Der Blaue Engel
  • Options
    ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Das Boot http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/

Brilliant film:D
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny Games
    Wings of Desire
    Tin Drum
    Aguirre, Wrath of God
    Das Boot
    Fear Eats the Soul
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    German films don't get any better that Heimat (The first one) if you've got 15 hours and £45 to spare (bargain)

also Tin Drum and Das Boot

The Miracle of Bern is supposed to be good, after that i'm in Metropolis territory........
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically, semi-pretentious, simple films are the best for me I think.
    That rules out The White Ribbon: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2136737049/ that is complicated and has a proto-Nazi theme.

Gegen die Wand: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2175533337/ is more dynamic but is a Turkish immigrants view of Germany.

Requiem: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2374172953/ is simple, profound, and unpretentious.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zentropa
    Europa,Europa
    Christiane F.
    Fitzcarraldo
    A Love in Germany
    Nowhere in Africa
    Im Juli
  • Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tin Drum.... although it did freak me out a little :o

I think I remember that one. Wasn't there a scene where someone tried to shove the drum up someone elses arse? Or am I thinking of a totally different genre of German film making?

Anyway:

Das Boot
    Downfall
    Stalingrad (one of the best war movies ever)
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    German films don't get any better that Heimat (The first one) if you've got 15 hours and £45 to spare (bargain)

I'll definitely second that. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

Also the previously mentioned Europa, Europa
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh I had a good old cry watching Heimat.......and then when I watched it again, I had another good old cry, only in different places, cus I knew what was going to happen

Sniff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Requiem - this is actually Hungarian but it's in German, made by a German and set in Germany. I say it's German.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers everyone.

Requiem looks good, so I'll give that a go.

I'm not too fond of all the Nazi and "what came next" Nazi German films (although Goodbye Lenin! is similar, but from communism of course).
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Cheers... keep them coming (I'm looking them up :p). I forgot to mention I'm not a big fan of the Hitler and war thing, in terms of on film I mean.

You might not be, but Downfall isn't just your ordinary Hitler or war film, it's much more than that. It's well worth watching if you do manage to find the time.

Other films:

M
    The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
    Triumph of the Will (only joking... don't get that unless you literally want a Hitler film, and I mean literally)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I'd recommend North Face, about a famous attempt to climb the north wall of the Eiger in the 1930s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    The Baeder Meinhof complex.....gritty and complex but great acting and an intelligent storyline.

Edit : See someone beat me to it....
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I just watched Sophie Scholl: The Final Days, which is recommended, as is Downfall. 2 German films about their Nazi past. Also The Baader Meinhof Complex about more recent history.

Fairly grim viewing, though.

I agree.Sophie Scholl has only been shown on tv once(C4 i think).I thought i wouldn't like it,but it was a riveting film.

Das Boot,another fine German film.Best war film ever made in my opinion.

Downfall too.On tonight at 9pm More 4.Best thing on the tv this week.Excelllent acting.Bruno Ganz as Hitler is mesmerising.:eek:.Excellent soundtrack as well..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I highly recommend Cherry Blossoms (2008) - it's a collaborative German/Japanese film but the cast is mostly German.

Aya Irizuki is one to watch out for in this film. She's a lovely actress.