Let Me In

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
saw this remake of Let The Right One In last night .

first surprise - it's made by Hammer who have a new logo .

Chloe Moretz and the other kid are good , I think it would've been better if they'd given us more of their relationship .

it's pretty close to the original , too close really I always knew what was coming . It tries a bit too hard at being moody and gets boring .

not as good as the original .

Comments

• UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forwards to it, mostly praise for it from what I've seen. Saw one critic say he thought it was better than the original. I doubt it though, will see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    saw the trailer, it looks a bit too emo for my liking.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forwards to it, mostly praise for it from what I've seen. Saw one critic say he thought it was better than the original. I doubt it though, will see.

Which one ? ( I don't doubt you , i am just interested ) Most have referred to the fact that the original is better
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw one critic say he thought it was better than the original. I doubt it though, will see.

I wonder why? Cos it wasn't in Swedish and didn't have subtitles?! It wasn't an American critic by any chance was it? :rolleyes:
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Which one ? ( I don't doubt you , i am just interested ) Most have referred to the fact that the original is better

One I'm not a fan of, Jason Solomons, think that is the name.
  • ArchaonArchaon Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it in a preview screening last night and I was impressed - not sure if I preferred it to the original or not though. I think I was expecting it to be a bit more violent and 'horror-like' than the original, but it still felt quite tame compared to most current releases in the genre. So it'll probably get labelled as boring by many.

Both this and original weren't as dark as the novel, and even more of the harsher scenes/themes of the book were cut out of this. But I still enjoyed it.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archaon wrote: »
    I think I was expecting it to be a bit more violent and 'horror-like' than the original, but it still felt quite tame compared to most current releases in the genre. So it'll probably get labelled as boring by many.

I'd heard that they'd increased the violence/horror of the remake but glad to hear they haven't overdone it. Anyone who watches Let The Right One In or this remake for that reason is totally missing the point of the story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see this. I hope they manage to hit a similar tone to the original, and keep it fairly restrained like the other. Those were the two things that struck me with Let the Right One In, and what made it so much better than films on a similar genre theme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it as the critic in the Telegraph, talking about remakes.He quoted stephen King saying it was the best american horror for 20 years.

LTROI is my favourite film, but I can see things wrong with it. I'll certainly see LMI with an openish mind but I guess it will have problems of it's own
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it on Saturday....really decent for a Hollywood remake....
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen Let The Right One In so I can't compare the two.

The pace of the film I enjoyed, but one of my friends found it too slow and boring. But overall I was impressed with the film as well as Chloe Moretz acting.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this yesterday. Really decent remake and i liked it, but i do prefer the original. But have nothing against this film whatsoever as it was directed, shot and acted very very well indeed. Loved the tone and feel of the film. The 2 kids were pretty good, i thought the boy though was exceptional. Really great acting! Was disappointed with the swimming pool scene, not as gory as i would have liked! Lol.

Now for the negative. Should have known with it being Orange Wed but i went to the 3pm screening, thought it would be quiet because it's the middle of the day. Ended up watching the film surrounded by stupid kids chatting away and laughing at all the intimate, emotional points in the movie, especially the scene when Abby gets into bed with Owen and the conversation that follows. Nothing funny about that scene whatsoever, infact it's rather touching but the amount of laughs it was getting they thought it was a comedy! Pisses me off! Why can't people just stfu?! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Pisses me off! Why can't people just stfu?! :mad:

Because they're morons.

I try and go to really late screenings these days, most of the kids/teenagers have to be on the last bus home so they can't see the late showings.
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh so is this a sequel or a remake of Let The Right One In, Isn't it a rather new movie to be re-made.
    Forum Member
    Oh so is this a sequel or a remake of Let The Right One In, Isn't it a rather new movie to be re-made.

It's remake of the Swedish original (although the director of the new one insists that it's a different interpretation of the book). And yes, in my opinion it is too soon to remake it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    It's remake of the Swedish original (although the director of the new one insists that it's a different interpretation of the book). And yes, in my opinion it is too soon to remake it.

Was gonna watch it but the swedish put me off, defiantly will go and see this one though.
    Forum Member
    Was gonna watch it but the swedish put me off, defiantly will go and see this one though.

And that is why we've got this remake...

Seriously, you should watch the original, the Swedish isn't that off putting.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Saw this yesterday. Really decent remake and i liked it, but i do prefer the original. But have nothing against this film whatsoever as it was directed, shot and acted very very well indeed. Loved the tone and feel of the film. The 2 kids were pretty good, i thought the boy though was exceptional. Really great acting! Was disappointed with the swimming pool scene, not as gory as i would have liked! Lol.

Now for the negative. Should have known with it being Orange Wed but i went to the 3pm screening, thought it would be quiet because it's the middle of the day. Ended up watching the film surrounded by stupid kids chatting away and laughing at all the intimate, emotional points in the movie, especially the scene when Abby gets into bed with Owen and the conversation that follows. Nothing funny about that scene whatsoever, infact it's rather touching but the amount of laughs it was getting they thought it was a comedy! Pisses me off! Why can't people just stfu?! :mad:

I guess we were rather luckily and our screen was only about 1/4 full and there were no teenagers in sight despite it being an Orange Wednesday. But I know what you mean, Paranormal Activity 2 last week was ruined in a way because it was full of 15 year old brats who would be talking during the scenes during the day and then screaming out "oh my god" every 2 seconds during the night scene. Really wish Cineworld would do what Vue does and have adult only screenings regardless of the film's rating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that is why we've got this remake...

Seriously, you should watch the original, the Swedish isn't that off putting.

It's not that it's swedish, its au language i don't like watching. I just spend most of the time reading the subtitles. Plus the dubbed versions are annoying.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's remake of the Swedish original (although the director of the new one insists that it's a different interpretation of the book).

The Swedish original is a different interpretation to the book too, so I dunno what the Directors on about there tbh. They reviewed it on Film 2010 and said it was practically remade scene for scene, so can anyone shed light on what's different about the two movies? Another question I have is
    do they reveal in this version that the Eli character is a castrated boy? Because the problem I have with the casting is the girl in the US version doesn't look remotely like a boy. The girl in the original was quite androgynous in appearance so it worked really well.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    The Swedish original is a different interpretation to the book too, so I dunno what the Directors on about there tbh. They reviewed it on Film 2010 and said it was practically remade scene for scene, so can anyone shed light on what's different about the two movies? Another question I have is
    do they reveal in this version that the Eli character is a castrated boy? Because the problem I have with the casting is the girl in the US version doesn't look remotely like a boy. The girl in the original was quite androgynous in appearance so it worked really well.

answer to your spoiler : no .
    Forum Member
    It's not that it's swedish, its au language i don't like watching. I just spend most of the time reading the subtitles. Plus the dubbed versions are annoying.

Then you're missing out on some brilliant films with that attitude. Some of the best and most original films i've seen over the past few years have been subtitled: Let the Right One In, Martyrs, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (all three of them), City of God, The Orphanage, [REC], Pans Labyrinth, etc...

I never used to like subtitles either, but after a while you just get used to them. You should at least try Let the Right One In, if you only get 30 minutes in at least you tried. It's definitely the superior film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you're missing out on some brilliant films with that attitude. Some of the best and most original films i've seen over the past few years have been subtitled: Let the Right One In, Martyrs, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (all three of them), City of God, The Orphanage, [REC], Pans Labyrinth, etc...

I never used to like subtitles either, but after a while you just get used to them. You should at least try Let the Right One In, if you only get 30 minutes in at least you tried. It's definitely the superior film.

i will give it a try after i seen the remake. :) I tried to watch the grudge one and two in japanise and they were very hard to watch, and the dubbed version was so off putting.
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When l went to see 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' at the cinema. There was a guy in front of me at the ticket office who asked for a ticket for 'TGWPWF'. When the cashier told him it had subtitles, he changed his mind. When l told him it shouldn't put him off from seeing the film, he replied 'well if l want to read, l would go for a book'!
    Forum Member
    When l went to see 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' at the cinema. There was a guy in front of me at the ticket office who asked for a ticket for 'TGWPWF'. When the cashier told him it had subtitles, he changed his mind. When l told him it shouldn't put him off from seeing the film, he replied 'well if l want to read, l would go for a book'!

When i saw 'Dragon Tattoo' a bunch of chavvy idiots were sat at the back laughing and talking loudly, then about 30 minutes into the film they shouted "is this all in f*ckin' Swedish?!", to which almost everyone in the audience shouted back "YES!!". They disappeared quite quickly. I was actually impressed that they managed to discern that it was Swedish! haha. It was a similar situation when i saw 'Let the Right One In' as well, although annoyingly the tossers stayed for the entire film...