Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angel44 wrote: »
    I now just see these silly, repetitive images whizzing by at 30+ speed and what used to be 4-5 minute ad-breaks now only last less than 10 seconds.

That's a clever box that lets you fast forward on live programmes :):)

But the same applied to any PVR Freeview, Freesat or Murdochbox.

Not sure what could be done but I have wondered if any advertiser has considered trying to have something that would show at normal speed whilst being fast forwarded?

I just find all adverts irritating and most of the time have no idea what they are advertising which is presumably the object of adverts. I noticed today the one with a scruffy looking couple dancing for what seems ages, then I briefly noticed a car so I suppose they are advertising a car but no idea what make or model..Same with the two stupid looking blokes in dodgy wigs and moustaches on ITV(?) films, they must be selling something but no idea what.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thinks it's supposed to reperesent the rough and readyness combined with passion and style. TBH I can't remember what car it is advertising either.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thinks it's supposed to reperesent the rough and readyness combined with passion and style. TBH I can't remember what car it is advertising either.

The guy dancing has an awful paunch on his tummy and his trousers are halfway down his ass with his grey underpants on show. I never get passed how dirty (in the grimey/muddy sense of the word) he looks to notice what the car is. For some reason the song makes me look up to want to see what the advert is though and I can't actually stand the song either.
  • Options
    angel44angel44 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBTweets wrote: »
    I'm guessing you'll have to pause as soon as you turn on your Sky box to be able to not view adverts but if you have to switch over to another channel then you have to exit live pause to do that. You'd then have to pause your Sky box again - making it just as annoying as having to actually sit through them.

Good for you though not wasting your time watching adverts but instead just wasting it forwarding your fantastic Sky+HD box ;)

I now only ever watch BBC channels in 'real time' and programs on commercial channels are just recorded and stored on the hard drive.

The only 'live' events I'll watch on commercial channels are football matches and they occur in two 45 + minute sittings without commercial interruption when each half is underway. At half-time..the adverts obviously get hammered...but I can quite happily live with the live broadcast to advertising ratio on these occasions....when taken as a 90+ minute sample of broadcasting.

Most other 90 + minutes broadcast samples would likely boil down to about about 60 minutes of broadcasting once the adverts had been extruded, except in the case of Living T.Vs Most Haunted Live [as was] which would likely boil down to about 40 minutes of viewing with 50 minutes of pre-recorded, highly repetitive advertising welded onto it.

[An exaggeration perhaps]

Anyway....

...turning on my sky + box now involves cherry picking and viewing the recorded content whilst simultaneously adding to it.

You can carry on recording TWO live channels whilst watching stuff you've recorded.

I basically use the hard-drive as the main viewing platform and the live-to-air program listings as nought but a menu of suggestions for things that I may wish to feed into it...for viewing at a later time.

Sometimes that later time is days, and sometimes it can be as little as half an hour but so long as you're always one step ahead of live-to-air content....adverts can be [and for me ARE] a thing of the past.

Feeling a need to watch live-to-air content in real time can be predominantly psychological IMHO...in that....you're aware that the rest of the nation gets to see something before you whenever you implement viewing delays.

Fortunately...

...the rest of the nation are not sitting in my lounge most nights, it's just me and the missus....so the threat of spoilers is generally minimal to non-existent.

For example:

I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here

...typically airs between 9:00pm - 10:30pm

In our house however, it typically airs between 10:30pm - 11:00pm

What do we do whilst we're waiting?

We're not even conscious that we're 'waiting.'

We're usually watching something else that we've given the same treatment earlier on and 'ad-zapping' as we do so.

It really works if you implement it as a way of life.

There's live-to-air listings and then there's your own viewing 'itinerary.'

There's when something is broadcast, and there's when it's 'on.'

When it's broadcast is up to the broadcasters, but when it's 'on' is up to you.

95 percent of the time, adverts are never 'on' in our household.

Forwarding through them at 30+ speed mutes the adverts also.

The 'ideal' would be no adverts at all, but then who would pay for the T.V shows?

Sky + merely enables a viewer to extract themselves from the co-dependent relationship between advertisers and consumers.

It's not a total separation because it still needs an ongoing strategy to make it work but in general terms....it's the next best thing.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I now only ever watch BBC channels in 'real time' and programs on commercial channels are just recorded and stored on the hard drive.

The only 'live' events I'll watch on commercial channels are football matches and they occur in two 45 + minute sittings without commercial interruption when each half is underway. At half-time..the adverts obviously get hammered...but I can quite happily live with the live broadcast to advertising ratio on these occasions....when taken as a 90+ minute sample of broadcasting.

Most other 90 + minutes broadcast samples would likely boil down to about about 60 minutes of broadcasting once the adverts had been extruded, except in the case of Living T.Vs Most Haunted Live [as was] which would likely boil down to about 40 minutes of viewing with 50 minutes of pre-recorded, highly repetitive advertising welded onto it.

Anyway....

...turning on my sky + box now involves cherry picking and viewing the recorded content whilst simultaneously adding to it.

You can carry on recording TWO live channels whilst watching stuff you've recorded.

I basically use the hard-drive as the main viewing platform and the live-to-air program listings as nought but a menu of suggestions for things that I may wish to feed into it...for viewing at a later time.

Sometimes that later time is days, and sometimes it can be as little as half an hour but so long as you're always one step ahead of live-to-air content....adverts can be [and for me ARE] a thing of the past.

Feeling a need to watch live-to-air content in real time can be predominantly psychological IMHO...in that....you're aware that the rest of the nation gets to see something before you whenever you implement viewing delays.

Fortunately...

...the rest of the nation are not sitting in my lounge most nights, it's just me and the missus....so the threat of spoilers is generally minimal to non-existent.

For example:

We're usually watching something else that we've given the same treatment earlier on and 'ad-zapping' as we do so.

The 'ideal' would be no adverts at all, but then who would pay for the T.V shows?

Sky + merely enables a viewer to extract themselves from the co-dependent relationship between advertisers and consumers.

It's not a total separation because it still needs an ongoing strategy to make it work but in general terms....it's the next best thing.

And the worst advert currently on TV is............?
  • Options
    angel44angel44 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the worst advert currently on TV is............?

The HALIFAX ads...

They still hurt...even at 30+ speed with no sound!!

:D
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky's Spenglers. They seem to be on every ad break!:sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    There`s loads of ads I hate with a passion and now loads of the the annoying xmas ones too.
    I can`t stand that one with moronic looking bloke with a lightbulb over his head who goes home to his moronic couch potato wife who`s got a bleedin` light bulb over her head aaaaagh sooo annoying.

Ive noticed loads of ads have these awful songs,female singers with a babyish "cutesy" type voice,like that awful Elton John song (not sure of name) which has been re-done.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought about this thread earlier today when I happened to catch an advert which I hadn't seen in a while, and it's one which makes my skin crawl ....

It's the Galaxy chocolate advert, where there's a girl in a flat by herself and she's looking for her chocolate. Eventually she finds it in a secret box. She gives the most pervy smile when she eats the chocolate!

The model/actress is really strange looking and reminds me a little bit of the actress who played Jack Nicholson's wife in the Shining (Shelley Duvall).

This is a link to a clip for anyone who is sadomasochistic enough to watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM3oh0pCGtE
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jayceegee wrote: »
    I thought about this thread earlier today when I happened to catch an advert which I hadn't seen in a while, and it's one which makes my skin crawl ....

It's the Galaxy chocolate advert, where there's a girl in a flat by herself and she's looking for her chocolate. Eventually she finds it in a secret box. She gives the most pervy smile when she eats the chocolate!

The model/actress is really strange looking and reminds me a little bit of the actress who played Jack Nicholson's wife in the Shining (Shelley Duvall).

The girl in that advert looks like she's never eaten chocolate in her life!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    She always reminds me of having a smug looking face like Angelina Jolie.
  • Options
    Hells_ChickenHells_Chicken Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    mooncatt wrote: »
    Ive noticed loads of ads have these awful songs,female singers with a babyish "cutesy" type voice,like that awful Elton John song (not sure of name) which has been re-done.:confused:

Your Song by Ellie Goulding. I'm so glad i'm not the only one who finds it irritating!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Subrosa wrote: »
    The girl in that advert looks like she's never eaten chocolate in her life!

Yep, that's another point I'd forgotten to mention!

Thanks for reminding me ... I think, LOL! Grrrrr:D

PS Actually don't know whether to :D or :cry:
    ;););)
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can't stand icelands stereotype of mums!

real cr@ppy!
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »

real cr@ppy!

Can't stand the Iceland mum's adverts, just terrible!!. I guess Dad's or Men are just to stupid to fling some frozen crap in the oven or microwave!. The music is horrible too, just all over crap.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand that bloody go compare ad with the Egyptian theme. Really grates on my nerves :mad:
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Can't stand that bloody go compare ad with the Egyptian theme. Really grates on my nerves :mad:

It is an awful advertising campaign as a whole.
  • Options
    dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    mooncatt wrote: »
    T

I've noticed this lately, too. I can't quite put my finger on it, but they seem to be singing in some kind of ... "affected" way. Just the way they pronounce some words ... it's like fingers on a blackboard for me :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »

real cr@ppy!

Everything is always chicken tikka flavoured. Chicken tikka curry, chicken tikka lasagne, chicken tikka pizza... :eek: :mad:
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway....

Fortunately...

For example:

of course you could actually stop all that and go and do something more meaningful with your life instead. It seems you put a lot of effort into avoiding adverts, when you could just switch off.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SN-22 wrote: »
    Everything is always chicken tikka flavoured. Chicken tikka curry, chicken tikka lasagne, chicken tikka pizza... :eek: :mad:

Mini garlic chicken tikka pizza lasagne naans!
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those stupid puppets on the vauxhall corsa ads.... who thought that up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SN-22 wrote: »

& Kebab pizza :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WAAAAY ahead of you my friend. Posted that weeks ago. Was hoping it had put out to grass that ad. Been on for years! It's the silly pic on the fridge that annoys me. Who has a pic of themselves and their housemates on their fridge?!
  • Options
    IstvanIstvan Posts: 4,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one which makes my skin crawl ....

and she might well be, work as an actor can be few and far between, fortunately I'm OK tho, I won't need to work until at least next Monday
This discussion has been closed.