Options

The Dark Knight was incredibly overrated

Comments

• Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't ever hear people talk about the other characters in the same way they talk about Heath Ledger's Joker. You take out his performance in the movie and you have a very average if not poor movie. And also some of the performances in the movie were terrible, namely Christian Bae and Maggie Gyllenhall's.

Oh jeez. Similarly, in Jurassic Park, all anyone also ever talks about are how great the dinosaurs were. See what I'm getting at?

You must of course be an Oscar winning actor yourself to comment on the poor performances of a notable ensemble cast. Suggest you content yourself with another viewing of the 1989 Batman film. If you want to see 'poor' performances, I give you Kim Basinger... Enjoy.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Oh jeez. Similarly, in Jurassic Park, all anyone also ever talks about are how great the dinosaurs were. See what I'm getting at?

You must of course be an Oscar winning actor yourself to comment on the poor performances of a notable ensemble cast. Suggest you content yourself with another viewing of the 1989 Batman film. If you want to see 'poor' performances, I give you Kim Basinger... Enjoy.

She did alright with the material she was given. Still better than Maggie Gyllenhall (and Katie Holmes). Rachel Dawes was a dreadful character.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could not disagree more

heath ledger, fantastic performance, batman, darker and edgier, and relatable to the real world, so the spirit of the character and the comic book has so much more power and is not abstract or just an artistic approach which is what I Ioved about this and batman begins

the hunger games, now there, is one overated film

I though it was as involving as a tax audit but all subjective as usual

one persons cup of tea is another persons coffee
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both the Burton films and the Nolan films have there merits. But, after enjoying Batman Begins, I too was disappointed by TDK. I've watched it again and enjoyed it more on repeat viewing, but it still remains underwhelming in places. The whole hype around the performance and death of Heath Ledger seems to have turned it into an iconic film, but the reality is its quite a shallow, flawed film. Its a bit that other comic book film, Spiderman 3, in shoving too many villains in.

I don't think there's anything complex to its plot what-so-ever. I remember sitting there predicting every plot "twist" as it went along. The bit with the bombs on the prison ship and the cruise ship was trite nonsense -like the people on the respective ships wouldn't be jumping at the chance to blow one another up.

I agree the Two Face plot line failed. It did a good job of putting across Harvey Dent, but his transformation into Two Face somehow didn't make much sense. They really should have done it over 2 movies. Did Falklands war veteran Simon Weston go on a killing spree because he got hideously burnt? No. By the same token I didn't buy the transformation here. It didn't really make sense that a good man would decide not only the people that set him up needed killing, but good men like Gordon and Batman needed killing too. If they had shown Dent getting even more mentally screwed up a further movie it might of made sense. The facial damage on him was unrealistically bad as well. If a human has that much skin burnt off they die.

And that brings me onto something else; with the horror movie make-up on Two Face and some occasionally highly unpleasant violence it still dumbfounds me this film got the 12A rating. Sorry maybe I'm getting old, but when you hear little kids screaming in the cinema in horror at some of this stuff, you know they've gone too far. The worst thing was you could tell cuts had been made, so really it was neither the beast it could have been as a 15, nor was it still really suitable for the little un's. It was a case of the studio wanted the 12A so they could make as much money as possible and the BBFC whimped out because they didn't have the balls to stand upto to them.

The thing I hate the most about this is its devaluing maturity in cinema. I hear they want to try and make Alien prequel Prometheus a 12A too. How butchered is that going to be to achieve that? Again I think it will produce a movie that is neither one thing or the other and will be compromised. Does everything have to be a yanky "PG13" these days?

I enjoyed Christian Bale in the first film, but he was crap in this one. Previous Batman's put on a gruff voice when playing Batman, he ridiculously monotone growled his way through the whole film. Maybe this is actually Nolan's fault and its how he told him to play him. His Bruce Wayne character falls short too. The original Bruce Wayne was a perfectly charming gentlemen- I saw none of this when Bale played him. He's just a bit of git like his American Psycho character. Before people counter and say Bale is trying to show Wayne as more real and messed up, I actually thought the totally charming gent into brutal vigilante routine was more wonderfully messed up. I like that duplicity, but Bale and Nolan don't put that across. I do however like the relationship with Alfred though, there’s some good knockabout humour between Bale and Caine.

All this said I still hope the next one will be a great film, and return to the quality of the 1st one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoyed Christian Bale in the first film, but he was crap in this one. Previous Batman's put on a gruff voice when playing Batman, he ridiculously monotone growled his way through the whole film. Maybe this is actually Nolan's fault and its how he told him to play him. His Bruce Wayne character falls short too. The original Bruce Wayne was a perfectly charming gentlemen- I saw none of this when Bale played him. He's just a bit of git like his American Psycho character. Before people counter and say Bale is trying to show Wayne as more real and messed up, I actually thought the totally charming gent into brutal vigilante routine was more wonderfully messed up. I like that duplicity, but Bale and Nolan don't put that across. I do however like the relationship with Alfred though, there’s some good knockabout humour between Bale and Caine.

But this is depicting the early years of Batman. Wayne was originally very dry and unapproachable person in Burton's films and the comic series. Over time he slowly comes to terms with douple (or triple life as some see it) and puts on more of a facade.

He plays charming at moments in the first film. If he isn't doing that in the second film you can be sure its because Nolan and Bale don't want him to be. There is only one time we see his charming side in TDK (in the penthouse party bit slightly) and comes across well. It's around Dent (because he is keeping an eye on him), Rachel, Alfred, Gordon, Lucuis that the darker Bruce comes out and it just happens to be a lot of scenes around these characters.
  • Options
    thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people who complained about Christian Bale's performance in TDK obviously didn't watch Batman Begins. The reason for doing the voice is given. The whole idea of the forcing fear onto those prey on the fearful, the Batman 'monster' etc, it's all there in Begins. Yes the voice goes a little over the top in TDK never did I think that it affected Bale's performance and the quality of the film.

Bale doesn't get the respect that he deserves I think. You would never have got such a performance out of Heath without the physical performance from Bale as Batman. People say that Heath outacted Bale but I don't think he did. Bale was never meant to be theatrical as the Batman, at least not like The Joker.
  • Options
    stormtrooper123stormtrooper123 Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Bale doesn't get the respect that he deserves I think. You would never have got such a performance out of Heath without the physical performance from Bale as Batman. People say that Heath outacted Bale but I don't think he did. Bale was never meant to be theatrical as the Batman, at least not like The Joker.

He doesn't get the respect because he doesn't deserve to :yawn: Bale's performance was deservedly panned by ritics and audiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't get the respect because he doesn't deserve to :yawn: Bale's performance was deservedly panned by ritics and audiences.

Pahahahaha!! Prove he was panned!

In a good review as well please as that would support your point.
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bloody hell.

'Though much of the voice effect is Bale's own doing, under the guidance of director Christopher Nolan and supervising sound editor Richard King, the frequency of his Batman voice was modulated to exaggerate the effect.'

People forget, that the Director and Sound people tell the actors how to use their voice. It's ignorant to think that Bale turned up one morning and said "hey I'll do this voice" Nolan wanted Bale to lower his voice, even more so that it was modulated to make it stand out even more.

Fast forward 4 years later and Nolan is getting the same stick for the Bane voice. What if Hardy puts in a great performance (like Bale and Ledger in TDK) but people moan about his voice, does that mean Hardy's performance will be panned? Bale did his job as an actor and Nolan did his job as a director.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pahahahaha!! Prove he was panned!

In a good review as well please as that would support your point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAjcFZlbu78

To be fair he does think (wrongly) that Oldman gave the best performance but that doesn't matter as he's the only critic to think that :D

Bale gets far more criticisms on the IMDB board of TDK and on clips of the movie on YouTube. Also there's various spoofs that mock his voice :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAjcFZlbu78

To be fair he does think (wrongly) that Oldman gave the best performance but that doesn't matter as he's the only critic to think that :D

Bale gets far more criticisms on the IMDB board of TDK and on clips of the movie on YouTube. Also there's various spoofs that mock his voice :D

Right thats one but its one in a reveiw that gives the film an average rating. Not exactly a panning is it?

You are talking about his VOICE not his performance and the reviewer is not wrong in fact I've come to the conclusion that you are an idiot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right thats one but its one in a reveiw that gives the film an average rating. Not exactly a panning is it?

You are talking about his VOICE not his performance and the reviewer is not wrong in fact I've come to the conclusion that you are an idiot.

What do you want me to do? Bring up every review that says anything bad about Bale's performance? Sorry dude I don't have time for that. Just accept the general consensus that Bale's performance sucked. Some people hated the voice, others hated Bale's performance as a whole. Either way he sucked in the movie. And anyway please don't tell me you liked his performance because he was extremely blad with or without the special needs voice.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you want me to do? Bring up every review that says anything bad about Bale's performance? Sorry dude I don't have time for that. Just accept the general consensus that Bale's performance sucked. Some people hated the voice, others hated Bale's performance as a whole. Either way he sucked in the movie. And anyway please don't tell me you liked his performance because he was extremely blad with or without the special needs voice.

You make yourself look more and more ridiculous with each post, do you realise that?

You seem unable to do what most people do in these situations and simply say 'I don't like it'. Somehow that is not enough for you, because you keep trying to establish a bizarre factual proposition that the movie/Bale sucked, like it's a given.

Everyone is entitled to voice an opinion, but that is not enough for you, you seek to tell anyone who disagree's with you they are wrong. There is no right or wrong in these situations, only opinions.

And it does not matter that others agree with you...you can even try and play a numbers game, find 30, 50 100 people to agree...which in the grand scheme of things means not proves nothing. You could just as easily find the same number of people who disagree with you.

If you just gave your opinion and discussed it, that would be fine. But you keep battling with those disagree with you, keep trying to push this ridiculous notion that you are right and those who disagree with you are wrong.

You really need to lighten up.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Are we meant to take this seriously given the sheer volume of absolute w*nkers on both?
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    You make yourself look more and more ridiculous with each post, do you realise that?

You seem unable to do what most people do in these situations and simply say 'I don't like it'. Somehow that is not enough for you, because you keep trying to establish a bizarre factual proposition that the movie/Bale sucked, like it's a given.

Everyone is entitled to voice an opinion, but that is not enough for you, you seek to tell anyone who disagree's with you they are wrong. There is no right or wrong in these situations, only opinions.

And it does not matter that others agree with you...you can even try and play a numbers game, find 30, 50 100 people to agree...which in the grand scheme of things means not proves nothing. You could just as easily find the same number of people who disagree with you.

If you just gave your opinion and discussed it, that would be fine. But you keep battling with those disagree with you, keep trying to push this ridiculous notion that you are right and those who disagree with you are wrong.

You really need to lighten up.

Well said Ted.

I hate everything about ET, the puppet, the dialog, the storyline everything but I cannot deny that it has entertained millions of people over the years and I also cannot deny that it is a well crafted film.

Its like someone saying on the worst Sci -fi thread that 2001: A Space Odyssey is the worst science fiction film ever made completely ignoring shite like Spacehunter and the plethora of low budget rubbish that emerged since Star Wars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I agree. The way people were going on I was expecting to see one of the best movies of my life and I was more bored than anything. Didn't get the hype at all.
    Heath Ledger was great though.

As someone else said it's all subjective. :)
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unfortunately the reason the film was so popular was that Heath Ledger died.

Hooray, someone said it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. The way people were going on I was expecting to see one of the best movies of my life and I was more bored than anything. Didn't get the hype at all.
    Heath Ledger was great though.

As someone else said it's all subjective. :)

This is exactly how I feel. Heath Ledger was great and all the hype surrounding his performance was spot on. People might say, Oh people only praised his performance because of his death. Well if anyone's seen the movie he blows every actor in it out of the water. He made Bale, Oldman and Eckhart look like actors out of Hollyoaks :D The rest of the movie however never matches his performance. If the IMDB list of top 250 movies was based on performances Heath's performance would be right up there. But the movie itself doesn't deserve to be in the top 10 because it's mediocre. The standout is Heath Ledger.
  • Options
    GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally Bale is my favourite portrayal of Bruce Wayne to date. With previous performances I felt that there was an emotional disconnect between Bruce and the audience, but over the past two films Nolan and Bale really have created a special character.

The best compliment I can pay Bale is that the thought of Bane "breaking" Bruce or Bruce dying at the end genuinely upsets me. I fear for the character, and in my book, that means that the actor playing that character has gone above and beyond in doing their job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly how I feel. Heath Ledger was great and all the hype surrounding his performance was spot on. People might say, Oh people only praised his performance because of his death. Well if anyone's seen the movie he blows every actor in it out of the water. He made Bale, Oldman and Eckhart look like actors out of Hollyoaks :D The rest of the movie however never matches his performance. If the IMDB list of top 250 movies was based on performances Heath's performance would be right up there. But the movie itself doesn't deserve to be in the top 10 because it's mediocre. The standout is Heath Ledger.

You must be a troll!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gotham wrote: »
    Personally Bale is my favourite portrayal of Bruce Wayne to date. With previous performances I felt that there was an emotional disconnect between Bruce and the audience, but over the past two films Nolan and Bale really have created a special character.

The best compliment I can pay Bale is that the thought of Bane "breaking" Bruce or Bruce dying at the end genuinely upsets me. I fear for the character, and in my book, that means that the actor playing that character has gone above and beyond in doing their job.

The thought of Batman dying upset you? Awww :D Shame as everyone's going to be rooting for Bane in The Dark Knight Rises just as everyone was rooting for The Joker in the previous movie. Even in Nolan's movies the villains are more popular than the hero lol!
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we meant to take this seriously given the sheer volume of absolute w*nkers on both?

Can't argue with that!

IMDB...a reasonably good source for reference, but when it come to ratings and opinions? No thank you!

And anyway, why do some people insist on pointing at other peoples opinions to justify theirs?

Like I said before, it's not a case of right and wrong, it's merely about opinions. But sadly...a lot of people seem to think it's all about numbers. X website rates this movie at X % because this is how people have voted.

And have you checked out the IMDB comment boards?!

Some seriously strange, deluded and downright psychotic individuals on there...these people will threaten your life if you disagree with them.

And god forbid they announce a remake of their facourite movie...simple petitions are not enough...they want to kill the studio executive, their whole family, relatives and anyone whoever spoke to them!
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stormtropper (obviously a Star Wars fan) highlights the best acting our time, Hayden Christian anyone? :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy The Dark Knight Rises :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stormtropper (obviously a Star Wars fan) highlights the best acting our time, Hayden Christian anyone? :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy The Dark Knight Rises :D

Aha aha so witty :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thought of Batman dying upset you? Awww :D Shame as everyone's going to be rooting for Bane in The Dark Knight Rises just as everyone was rooting for The Joker in the previous movie. Even in Nolan's movies the villains are more popular than the hero lol!

In a LOT of films the villain is more popular than the hero.

This isn't you hating the film, story or characters this whole thread is just about you hating Bale and I see you've moved on to the other \batman thread with your inane and deluded ramblings to.